Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new phone....

Feedback Score

Looking for a new phone....

Hey all,

I have an old LG 840G I purchased through Tracfone's website years ago and I'm looking to replace it. It's too small and too slow. It has the TMFL deal on it and I'm thinking about staying with a TMFL phone at the moment. I'd most likely re-buy from their website unless there is a notable reason to buy somewhere else and still simple to activate through Tracfone.

The reception is ok tho I had to change the sim out for an AT&T one long ago to make it better. GSM seems to work a little better around where it's used.

I am not a heavy phone user, it's more for basic use but wouldn't mind a serious upgrade in speed/screen etc. I'm not interested in Huge screen sizes, I'd like something that can easily fit into a front pocket.

I buy the 60 minute cards when needed and would transfer what's on the 840G to the new phone.

So, I'm asking the group for some suggestions as to replacements. I'm not interested in iphones.

Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It would be a better deal to buy from HSN or QVC as both have a year's worth of service time and 1200 or 1350 M/T/D and the phone is basically free. You could transfer in any service time and M/T/D to the new phone.

Feedback Score
    The Tracfone website is no longer the best place to get a phone. You will get more value elsewhere.

Home Shopping Network and QVC have package deals where a Tracfone is bundled with a lot of minutes for a bargain price. Right now, the selection is not very good but I think they are saving up for a big splash for Black Friday and the Holidays. So you might want to wait for that. The Tracfones tend to be those that will run on Verizon not AT&T, but there is AT&T occasionally. I think they are cutting some deals with Verizon, that's why. Anyway, these phones are going to be Android smartphones. I think you would get the hang of it quickly.

Also, Tracfone will accept most smartphones that come from elsewhere as a bring-your-own-phone that you got somewhere else. There are certain requirements but it's usually easy. So if a friend has an extra phone lying around, you can use that. The phones that come from the regular carriers tend to have higher specs than Tracfone's minimized versions.

Feedback Score
    And then there would be the Verizon moto e4 or even the moto g5 plus or g5s plus.
    It all depends on how much money you want to spend.

Feedback Score
    I sent you a message Gooose.

Feedback Score
    Tracfone website has a 15% off promo code TF15off good til Sept 30, 2017 and $10 off TFPH10off same expiration date, i think the phone has to be atleast 29.95 to use the discount.

HSN has a $25 off code they'll send if you signup your email, the offer usually appears when i first arrive at HSN website. I wouldn't signup for it til there's a phone you want to buy.

Only my opinion, the 5" zte zFive 2 Triple Minutes phone with years service is about the best up right now at 79.95 ($25 off would lower that a lot). I think theres also a 4.5" LG Sunset with Triple minutes & a years service for 99.95 (less 25 coupon would be great deal). I have a Simple Mobile zFive 2 i use unactivated on WiFi & like it.

QVC has a Tracfone zte Cymbal T smart flipphone, 3.5" touchscreen with big physical keypad, 49.98 with a years service included. It would fit the pocket. I have one & its good if you like big flips.

Hope you find something you like. You could read reviews to get ideas on which might be best.

Feedback Score
    I know this isn't a TMFL but who likes this:
    http://www.qvc.com/Tracfone-Samsung-.../2/E231210.htm

And how do I go about buying cards for it as it's a smartphone unlike what I've been use to.? It's CMDA. Can I get an AT&T SIM?

thanks!

Thanks to everyone for your help! Could some of you provide links to the phones you are talking about?

Feedback Score
    That QVC phone is CDMA as stated in the description .

HSN phones:
    https://www.hsn.com/shop/cell-phones...uggested=false

Sunset is GSM/AT&T. Some others may be also.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooose View Post

And how do I go about buying cards for it as it's a smartphone unlike what I've been use to.? It's CMDA. Can I get an AT&T SIM?

thanks!

Thanks to everyone for your help! Could some of you provide links to the phones you are talking about?

Feedback Score
    No, you can't get a GSM SIM for QVC/HSN CDMA phones.

Feedback Score
    Hope this link works, its for the QVC cymbal T for 49.98, including a years service. They have another listing for the cymbal T for around 99$ but it doesnt seem to have a minutes bundle so not sure why its more.

I'm typing this on mine. Mine is tmfl, has a tiny virtual keypad on the 3.5" touchscreen but can also type with keypad so i can see the screen without a keypad covering half of it. The screen view on mine doesnt rotate, the view is portrait mode only except watching videos, then it rotates. If you can stand a big flip with a small screen, it might be ok for the price with the years bundled minutes/service.

But you might be best off with a plain touchscreen especially if looking to fit your pocket, maybe a 4.5" like the HSN LG Sunset rather than larger screens. If you could sign up to get $25 off the Sunset would be a better deal than the 99.95 price without the discount. It has good reviews but i think its 8gb internal memory though & you could get a better size memory like 16gb for about that price. Which the 99$ QVC Samsung Galaxy j3 Luna Pro 5" with 1500 mins bundle has. If you can live with a 5" phone in your pocket. 16gb would give you more internal memory expansion room in case you want to download apps.

http://www.qvc.com/TracFone-ZTE-Cymb...848-000&TZ=EST

thanks!

Feedback Score
    WheelieBoot,
    Goose wants an AT&T phone - your recommendations including CDMA phones.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

thanks!

Do you have a good reason for dismissing CDMA/Verizon phones? Does your area have known bad Verizon coverage?
    Unlike your 840, ALL Smartphones, AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon have NO roaming.
    Some phones, like the Verizon prepaid E4 for use as a BYOP, are capable of Verizon or AT&T, by changing the SIM card.
    There are 3 SIM card sizes, the smallest may currently be the best choice for SIM swapping into other phones.
    Most people end up settling on a 4-1/2" or 5" as the right screen size for them, but that`s not true of everyone.
    Some phones of the same screen size have a smaller overall size. Some are thinner than others.
    You may want to compare phones at the stores by handling them to narrow down your preferences.

You are right to go to a Smartphone, there are no new Feature phones like the 840 sold with TMFL.
    Starting with the middle of the Summer Tracfone began making their new Smartphone releases use "smartphone only airtime plans"
    When the older Smartphones and SIM kits with TMFL sell out there will be no TMFL available. People are stocking up on the TMFL BYOP SIM kits. Here is a Tracfone link that includes both the old style (TMFL) PAY AS YOU GO PLANS and the newer SMARTPHONE-ONLY PLANS:
    https://www.tracfone.com/serviceplan/smartphone

You have a lot to learn to know what all is available to you, so do not rush your decision. A mistake now can hamper your future choices and expense. Then again you may want to just keep it simple and cheap, like buying a new bundle every year. Right after Black Friday is a good time to have your year of service run out.

Feedback Score
    Does tracfone consider the Cymbal T to be a "smart" phone? Thinking about harvesting the buckets from it. Answered my own question. tracfone lists it as a phone I could transfer my service to. So a years service for about $5/mo. tracfone's 1500 min/ 1 year card is $125

Feedback Score
    Yes, it's a TMFL TracFone CDMA smartphone.

Quote Originally Posted by rminor View Post
    Does tracfone consider the Cymbal T to be a "smart" phone? Thinking about harvesting the buckets from it.

Feedback Score
    Yes, my Cymbal T runs on Tracfone VZ SIM & is TMFL, uses pay as you go airtime cards or could use smartphone only plans. Though it has a physical keypad, the 3.5" touchscreen functions like a small smartphone, mine has 5.1 lollipop OS.

I can use VZ or AT&T Tracfones where i am in Fresno, CA, but yes, best if people who are looking for a new phone identify what service works best where they'll use the phone most. If their Tracfone has a SIM, the first 5-6 numbers on their SIM reveals if its AT&T, VZ, T-Mo, or Sprint. 89014 is AT&T, 89148 is VZ, 89012 is T-Mo, 89011 Sprint. Is this correct?

My Alcatel Pixi Unite is using a Tracfone AT&T sim.

I guess i thought a gsm OR cdma phone might be ok since they mentioned both cdma & gsm but i apologize if i was mistaken, i don't want to mislead someone into buying the wrong phone.

Quote Originally Posted by rminor View Post
    Does tracfone consider the Cymbal T to be a "smart" phone? Thinking about harvesting the buckets from it. Answered my own question. tracfone lists it as a phone I could transfer my service to. So a years service for about $5/mo. tracfone's 1500 min/ 1 year card is $125

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast