Thread: Need help with phone selection

Feedback Score

Need help with phone selection

I really need help selecting a phone. My phone numbers are currently parked on 2 US Cellular prepaid flip phones. I don't see these phones lasting more than a few months being a cheap piece of plastic. There's no real reason to hurry into anything I don't fully understand because I have a phone I can make and receive calls on, so nobody I talk to knows any different. My only reason for having a preference for Verizon is because I'm happy with their coverage area and I know my phone will work where I need it to. With US Cellular, I can't get a signal while inside the building at work and my calls go straight to voice mail without my phone ever ringing. My boss has an Iphone on Verizon and it works just fine from inside the building.

My mom doesn't really think she needs a phone and she doesn't want to pay $25 a month for the US Cellular phone, but she did say she might like a Straight Talk home phone with unlimited long distance for $15 a month. She either wants a prepaid plan or to be on my plan if it isn't too much but she doesn't think it's really worth it for her. She said the bottom line is she doesn't want her name on the account and she wants something simple and easy to use.

I ordered a Moto G5 from Amazon and was going to use it on Verizon prepaid. The lady at WalMart told me I would have to wait 30 days before I could port back out of US Cellular and I would have to buy one of their prepaid phones to do it. The guy at the Verizon store told me they could put the G5 on any plan for me as it's factory unlock for any carrier but it was not a very good choice, instead he suggested I sell it on eBay and pick one of several phones he suggested. I checked with Sprint and they suggested a different phone but US Cellular has yet a different phone.

I'm worried now I have too much time to make a decision, I'm just going to over analyze this and get more confused the more people I talk to. I guess since it's on prepaid, if we can't figure out how to get my number back out, I'll just let it go. I really wanted to move my number to Google Voice but my number can't be moved to Google Voice

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

Unless you really want an iPhone or something, if you already have the G5, use it. It's a perfectly good phone. Don't let a salesman tell you otherwise, he's just trying to sell phones and payment plans.

Also, you don't have to wait 30 days to port a number out from any carrier. You are allowed to port out at any time by law, regardless of how long your service has been active. I've ported lines out of accounts that were only active for a few hours. Call 611 from the US Cellular phone and ask for your account number and PIN. Whatever you do, don't cancel your existing service. It will cancel automatically when you port out.

Just go to the Verizon store, pick the plan you want, and go with it. For a single postpaid line, the $55/5GB plan is the only one that makes any sense unless you really need unlimited data, which it sounds like you don't. Verizon's prepaid options aren't bad either for a single line, you can pick up a SIM kit from Walmart.

Edit: I just noticed that you want Verizon prepaid. You don't need to buy their phone to activate an existing phone that you own. Either check your local Walmart for a SIM kit or order one on Verizon's website.

Feedback Score
    Honestly, I have no clue what I want, I head in one direction and somebody sends me a different way. I walk into a Verizon store and I see a store full of phones. Picking out a phone is going to be hit and miss, maybe I'll take the best possible choice and maybe I'll take the worst. Wherever I go, everyone tells me to get the Iphone but nobody tells me why.

Of course since the old plan is gone, I'm free to start a new plan of my own with whatever phone I want. The suggestion I go to Walmart and get a cheap prepaid phone was so they would take care of the port for me in the event I couldn't port out any other way. I've already failed twice, once at attempting to port my number to Google Voice and then when I tried to port my mom's number to a Straight Talk home phone she wanted. Straight Talk said they were unable to complete the port with the information I provided so I will see if Walmart can do it, if they can't or won't my mom said she would just use the new phone number ST assigned her and let the prepaid go.

I signed up for Google Voice with a new number they gave me and set it up to ring all my phones.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    It sounds like you're possibly in a rural area where the porting options are limited. You can only port a number in to a carrier that has a local point of presence. Meaning that they have infrastructure in place in the locality where the number is based out of.

If the number you ported to US Cellular originally was a Verizon number, you should absolutely be able to port it back in to Verizon. Straight Talk may not be able to service that prefix in your area, however. It all depends on the carrier that they prefer in your area, as they are just an MVNO that runs off of other carriers.

That being said, I thought they could use Verizon when no other option is available, but I don't know all the specifics of that service.

As for handset choice, iPhones are great devices because of their ease of use and superior compatibility with networks and applications as well as software update support. But many people prefer Android. Again, if you have a Moto G5, use it! It should definitely be compatible with Verizon Prepaid and all you need is a SIM activation kit.

Just call US Cellular, obtain your prepaid account number and PIN, then you can activate the SIM kit online or by phone and move your number back to Verizon if that's what you choose to do. It shouldn't really be a lot of further trouble considering all you've already gone through.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Use the G5 Plus on Verizon prepaid and be done with it. Simply based on the fact you said you don't know what you want, that is the perfect solution for you. I put two people that "didn't know" what they wanted on G5 Pluses and they're perfectly happy. Don't let anyone talk you into anything otherwise.