Thread: Cell site experts: VZW rolling out 6-sector sites adding vertically split sectors?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Google Fi, VZW Wi-Fi
    Feedback Score

Cell site experts: VZW rolling out 6-sector sites adding vertically split sectors?

In the past month I've noticed that some high-level sites seem to have an extra Physical Cell ID that seems to be split vertically. In other words I'll see one CID the closer I get to the cell site, and a different CID the further I am from the site. Are they now splitting sites from 3 sectors to 6, with the extra 3 pointing closer or further away rather than in 6 different directions? Does CommScope make an antenna that can create 2-sectors vertically with one antenna, just like they have them for splitting sites horizontally?

Here's an example of one of the sites that I'm referring to - Rattlesnake Mountain which is about 600 feet above surrounding terrain.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Google Fi, VZW Wi-Fi
    Feedback Score
    I came across some photos taken at least a year ago of the Rattlesnake Mountain site mentioned above, but given the recent signal improvements - particularly filling-in coverage between low-level sites - the antennas in the photo have likely been replaced in the past few months.

Looking NW...
    Name:  Rattlesnake Verizon NW.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  76.8 KB

Looking SW...
    Name:  Rattlesnake Verizon SW.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  73.9 KB