T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Galaxy S8 "Active," Headed for T-Mobile

https://venturebeat.com/2017/09/28/s...d-to-t-mobile/

Name:  s8atmo-e1506628348186.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  15.9 KB

For the first time since Samsung and AT&T teamed up to offer a rugged Galaxy S variant in the form of 2013’s Galaxy S4 Active, the U.S.-only annual handset will lose its single-carrier exclusivity. T-Mobile is poised to stock the well-received Samsung Galaxy S8 Active. (Sprint did in fact carry an S5 Active doppelganger in 2014, but it was branded S5 Sport.)

According to marketing material reviewed by VentureBeat, T-Mobile’s S8 Active will, unsurprisingly, go by model number SM-G892T (AT&T’s model has an “A” at the end: SM-G892A). It should be available in the same Meteor Gray and Titanium Gold found in AT&T’s lineup, although retail release timing is not clear — with nary a mention in the usual pre-release databases such as FCC and Bluetooth SIG, it may still be months away.

The first hint that the IP68-certified S8 Active — with its 5.8-inch, 1,440 x 2,560 Super AMOLED display, Snapdragon 835 SoC, and beefy 4,000mAh battery — would be more widely available came from several sightings of yet a third model number (SM-G892U) in several certification databases. The “U” signifies a universal model, which could suggest that the eventual release may be even wider than just the two U.S. GSM network operators.

AT&T’s Galaxy S8 Active retails for $849.99.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Looks ugly to me. But I'm sure for some it serves its function.

Does anyone think Samsung would enable Band 71 capability to this device?

EDIT: After second thought: A really cool phone that I wouldn't need a case for gets a major plus in my book.

Name:  galaxys8activegold.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  58.4 KB
    Name:  samsunggalaxys8activetmo.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  61.5 KB
    Last edited by @TheRealDanny; 09-29-2017 at 02:42 AM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have it for AT&T, I love it. Especially the 4000 mah battery.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Iphone 5 se, Iphone 4s
    Carrier(s)
    T mobile, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Wow when I finally go full apple this thing shows up on my carrier. I always love the active version of Galaxies. My fiance wants a S8 so I may convince her to get this one and play with it after she get the next one after this. Hopefully I can make this happen soon.

Feedback Score
    I had an S7 active. The battery life was actually pretty bad.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I'd consider it if it was cheaper. For that price without their newest band is a disappointment for me. It would sway me to the v30 if I'm going to spend that much.

For someone that needs a rugged phone it makes more sense. I wash wax and buff my phones frequently as it is

A nice plus is that the active phones seem to usually get very get signals in fringe areas

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I had an S7 active. The battery life was actually pretty bad.
    Don't compare the 2. It's a surprising difference. One of my friends upgraded from the s7a and can't believe the difference.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Don't compare the 2. It's a surprising difference. One of my friends upgraded from the s7a and can't believe the difference.

There were a couple of bad experiences from the S7 that I didn't even mention (not applicable at all). I figured the battery, though, was a good aspect to mention: same MaH.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    There were a couple of bad experiences from the S7 that I didn't even mention (not applicable at all). I figured the battery, though, was a good aspect to mention: same MaH.
    Yeah, the 835 is much more efficient than the 820. About 25% or so.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Yeah, the 835 is much more efficient than the 820. About 25% or so.

That's good to know!

I saw one yesterday. Actually seemed relatively svelte, and looked great in my view.

In no time at all when I had picked it up I had accidentally fired off the Bixby abomination... but I know this can now be completely eliminated without rooting it.

(The other S7 Active problems, it not working on T-Mobile and the very first generation not being waterproof are the ones that don't apply)

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Depending on price I may look into an active if it comes to TMobile. Got home from work and cox internet is out again. Been using TMobile data that's saved the day

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    If it has B71, that would be pretty cool. If not, I don't think it would be any different from an unlocked AT&T one with a T-Mobile SIM? Verizon could really use a version of this though.

It looks like a pretty neat phone, it's probably actually thinner than an S8 plus a case that would give equivalent protection, but it has the massive battery that gives it really incredible battery life. If I had a ton of money burning a hole in my pocket, I would have seriously considered getting one vs. an iPhone.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile BlackBerry Priv, VZW AC791L Jetpack, MoFi 4500 SIM4 V. 2 LTE Gateway
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless, AT&T BLAST! Plan from 4ghsDOTcom
    Feedback Score
    IF Samsung would make their OEM QWERTY Keyboard Case for it (something they have yet to do on an Galaxy S Actives that I've seen) then this would be my next phone, as a Samsung with a QWERTY Keyboard Case is really the only realistic upgrade path from my BlackBerry Priv (the BlackBerry KeyOne being a DOWNGRADE in terms of hardware capabilities.) Could I do a regular Galaxy S8 with their OEM Keyboard Case? Sure. Will I? Very probably NOT. When both the front and back are covered by Gorilla Glass that's nowhere NEAR shatterproof, despite the claims Samsung and Dow Corning make to the contrary, I don't trust the phone to not shatter when the inevitable day comes that it slips out of my hand.
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    IF Samsung would make their OEM QWERTY Keyboard Case for it (something they have yet to do on an Galaxy S Actives that I've seen) then this would be my next phone, as a Samsung with a QWERTY Keyboard Case is really the only realistic upgrade path from my BlackBerry Priv (the BlackBerry KeyOne being a DOWNGRADE in terms of hardware capabilities.) Could I do a regular Galaxy S8 with their OEM Keyboard Case? Sure. Will I? Very probably NOT. When both the front and back are covered by Gorilla Glass that's nowhere NEAR shatterproof, despite the claims Samsung and Dow Corning make to the contrary, I don't trust the phone to not shatter when the inevitable day comes that it slips out of my hand.
    Make it a horizontal slider and I am in. I remember how my fingers hurt from the overly narrow Blackberry keyboards.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Galaxy S8 "Active," Headed for T-Mobile

I will definitely get this phone when/if it’s released. I need a rugged phone because this Note 8 just isn’t going to cut it. Everything I love about the S8, minus the infinity screen!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast