Thread: John Legere: 5 Years: Uncarrier from the Inside Out

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    I'm guessing employees at T-Mobile are allowed to have Fantasy Basketball or Football boards on the wall of a meeting or break room.
    I know this is a no-no for corporate employees at Verizon Wireless. I wouldn't say that these are BS corporate policies or anything like that, they're just more conservative than T-Mobile or even my office.
    And at T-Mobile awesome tattoos are totally encouraged!

I did work for Verizon Wireless a while back. You are right the corporate culture there is much more conservative. Just a different style and way of doing business.

I now work for a start up that emulates T-Mobile's corporate philosophy. Jeans, T-Shirts, Beer and flip flops are the norm for our executive staff.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Verizon sent me an email this afternoon offering me a great deal: Two lines "unlimited" everything for "only" $130 plus taxes and fees, and that's contingent upon enrolling in auto-pay. Hmm. Thanks, but . . . no.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
    Not caring for profanity hardly makes one a snowflake. After all, this site uses a profanity filter. I like telling it like it is, so I like the substance of what Legere says.

My rural southeast is the Carolinas (primarily South Carolina), Georgia, and Florida.
    Legre is passionate about what he's doing. Calling out something as BS is spot on. I might see where the "F Bombs" are the extreme but once again that's who he is.

I like his attitude.

I have occasion to drive in central Florida in between the area of I4-I75-I95-I10. T-Mobile is tough there as well as SW Florida. I can understand why Eustis may not have good coverage but south of Sarasota is weak.

If you want to take T-Mobile for a test drive why not get a line on an MVNO like Mint and give it a run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
    Verizon sent me an email this afternoon offering me a great deal: Two lines "unlimited" everything for "only" $130 plus taxes and fees, and that's contingent upon enrolling in auto-pay. Hmm. Thanks, but . . . no.
    While Verizon coverage can tempt, the customer service, extra fees and taxes (them saying it costs only $130 is dishonest) , CDMA, bad international roaming and super-high unlocking fees make Verizon my third choice among the top 4 carriers

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    And at T-Mobile awesome tattoos are totally encouraged!

I did work for Verizon Wireless a while back. You are right the corporate culture there is much more conservative. Just a different style and way of doing business.

I now work for a start up that emulates T-Mobile's corporate philosophy. Jeans, T-Shirts, Beer and flip flops are the norm for our executive staff.
    Does the CEO wear cyan or mauve? And do you get free subscriptions to Bavarian soccer coverage or trucker hats offered on Tuesdays?

Now, Danny, imagine if you had to work at a company that emulated the Sprint philosophy....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I'm sure that John Legere could oversee a snazzy paint job on the sinking Titanic though
    I don't use T-Mobile but I think Legere is a pure genius. He's brilliant as a businessman and has changed the wireless landscape. The future of T-Mobile looks bright with a possible merger with Sprint ( all that spectrum) and the nationwide 600 MHz rollout. In the next few years their coverage should match Verizon nationwide. I personally use Verizon because they work the best for my needs, but i will keep my options open for a possible switch in the future.

Feedback Score
    and super-high unlocking fees make Verizon my third choice among the top 4 carriers
    I'm not sure why you keep saying this lol this isn't true. The only devices that Verizon sells that are sim locked are the prepaid box phones you see in best buy, Walmart, target, etc. Their postpaid devices are completely sim unlocked at purchase. The prepaid box phones are sold at a subsidy thus are sim locked until you either pay a 3rd party place yourself and get the unlock code, or, meet the requirements of service with Verizon prepaid. That's generally 40-70 dollars worth of service loaded on the account.

The equivalent of this with TMobile is metro Pcs. Metro pcs sells devices at a subsidy, this is why the same device ( for example I'll use a LG k20 plus as an example) is cheaper on metro pcs than it is on TMobile. On metro pcs the k20 plus is 99 dollars or free with port in, if you buy it from TMobile it's 200 dollars. It's cheaper on metro because it is sim locked to metro pcs. The only ways to unlock it are to either pay a 3rd party company to unlock it or meet their service requirements ( same as Verizon prepaid) but, metro service requirements are 90 days. They only have a time requirement. You can't load up 90 days of service upfront and have them unlock it. Both companies follow the same procedures on their prepaid phones. There is no "unlocking fee". Companies like metro pcs and Verizon prepaid put these service requirements in place because they sell the devices at a subsidy and don't want people just buying the devices cheap to use on other providers. Att does the same with cricket wireless.

As far as postpaid, there is no service requirements on Verizon devices, they are unlocked right at purchase. I'm using a Moto z play right now on TMobile that was bought from Verizon last year when they had them on sale. No fee required to unlock, just pop and go. As I've said before there are plenty of things to bash Verizon on, their unlocking policies are not one of them. They are one of the best in the business, even on the prepaid side.

Feedback Score
    Justifying a massive unlocking fee by saying they do it for subsidy reasons contradicts the whole idea that there's no massive unlocking fee at all. It all ends up meeting that you are saying yes there is an unlocking fee and you are justifying why it's there.

And just because they have a massive unlocking fee on only some of their phones and not all also contradicts your claim of "There is no "unlocking fee"'

The whole "subsidy" justification ends up being meaningless when you consider how little Verizon actually pays for these phones.

But yes to be perfectly correct, I will amend my statement to say that Verizon has a massive unlocking fee on some of the phones that they sell.

Feedback Score
    Another thing I forgot to mention is how badly Verizon plays with others, due to combinations of their substandard CDMA technology and customer-hostile policies.

Check out this posting about the problems of getting the Moto G 5th generation to work on Verizon.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5...n/td-p/3632118

Other phones like the ZTE Axon 7 have major problems like this too. And it's not because of how these phones are designed. They are designed to work on every carrier.

Friends don't let friends not use GSM.

Feedback Score
    Justifying a massive unlocking fee by saying they do it for subsidy reasons contradicts the whole idea that there's no massive unlocking fee at all. It all ends up meeting that you are saying yes there is an unlocking fee and you are justifying why it's there.

And just because they have a massive unlocking fee on only some of their phones and not all also contradicts your claim of "There is no "unlocking fee"'

The whole "subsidy" justification ends up being meaningless when you consider how little Verizon actually pays for these phones.

But yes to be perfectly correct, I will amend my statement to say that Verizon has a massive unlocking fee on some of the phones that they sell.
    No, they don't. They have a service requirement on their in box prepaid devices. TMobile also has service requirements on all of their devices. I'm not sure why you insist on spreading false information to people. What do you like better about Tmobiles unlocking policy might I ask? What makes Tmobiles better?

Feedback Score
    False information ?

I said they had a massive unlocking fee. You said it is only on some phones... Which doesn't contradict what I said. You have also justified it. And that actually supports what I said.

Weaseling out of it by calling an unlocking fee a "service requirement" doesn't fool anyone.

Feedback Score
    False information ?

I said they had a massive unlocking fee. You said it is only on some phones... Which doesn't contradict what I said. You have also justified it. And that actually supports what I said.

Weaseling out of it by calling an unlocking fee a "service requirement" doesn't fool anyone.
    Here is Tmobiles policy on prepaid devices. Tell me, is this also a fee? How is this policy better than Verizon's? You are the one spreading false information so it seems you are the one doing the weaseling here as you have nothing to prove any claims you made. A service requirement is not a fee. I'm sorry you can't interpret the difference.

Unlock eligibility for Pay in Advance (Prepaid) phones, tablets, and mobile Internet devices

The device on the requesting line has been active for more than one year on the T-Mobile network.

If the device has been active for less than one year on the requesting line, the Pay in Advance account associated with the device must have had more than $100 in refills since device first use date. $100 in total refills is required for each device that is requested to be unlocked and does not include the initial activation payment.

As you can see, TMobile also has a service requirement on their prepaid devices. It's one year, or 100 dollars loaded on the account.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    False information ?

I agree. I prefer GSM and the flexibility that goes along with it and always felt constrained with Verizon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    I agree. I prefer GSM and the flexibility that goes along with it and always felt constrained with Verizon
    Again, it's not a fee. Here is Tmobiles policy on the same prepaid devices. Tell me how this policy is any better.

Unlock eligibility for Pay in Advance (Prepaid) phones, tablets, and mobile Internet devices

The device on the requesting line has been active for more than one year on the T-Mobile network.

If the device has been active for less than one year on the requesting line, the Pay in Advance account associated with the device must have had more than $100 in refills since device first use date. $100 in total refills is required for each device that is requested to be unlocked and does not include the initial activation payment.

Now here is Tmobiles policy on postpaid devices. All Verizon postpaid devices are unlocked out of the box.

Unlock eligibility for monthly phones, tablets, and mobile Internet devices

The device must have been active on the T-Mobile network for at least 40 days on the requesting line.

If the device is financed using T-Mobile’s*Equipment Installment Plan (EIP)*,or*if it's leased through*JUMP! On Demand™, all payments must be satisfied and the device must be paid in full unless otherwise specified.

If the device is on an account that is under a service contract term, at least 18 consecutive monthly payments must have been made or the account must have migrated to Simple Choice no contract rate plan.

If the device is associated with a canceled account, the account balance must be zero, including all pending charges.

Someone now explain how does TMobile have a better unlocking policy?
    Bash Verizon on a lot of things, they deserve it, their unlocking policy though is by far one of the better ones in the industry though.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    They all have fees but I like T-Mobile phone policy better. I've bought prepaid T-Mobile phones and used them on their postpaid service right out of the box without issue. With Verizon I hated that six month policy and sounds like it may be 30 days now which is better but still adds to the cost of the phone.

I also wish Verizon was more open to allowing other CDMA phones. That's a big reason I like T-Mobile policy better. If it's GSM there's a good chance I can at least get basic service. With a CDMA phone like sprint, prob a good chance I can't use it on Verizon unless maybe an iPhone and some other select phones.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast