Thread: Wi-Fi Calling more aggressive with iOS 11

Device(s)
    iPhone X, Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Google Fi, VZW Wi-Fi
    Feedback Score

Wi-Fi Calling more aggressive with iOS 11

Has anyopne else noticed that Wi-Fi Calling seems to be more aggressive with iOS 11? By that I mean I have full signal in areas of my house and it will show "VZW Wi-Fi" in places where it would not show it before I installed iOS 11.

Name:  IMG_3597.PNG
Views: 1353
Size:  1.16 MB
    Last edited by RenoWirelessGuru; 09-28-2017 at 09:24 PM.

Device(s)
    IPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I can't comment on that but I just wanted to say..... read your emails!

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    In my experience, the only time I see that is if my phone is in 1x or 3G...then it will prefer WiFi calling. Otherwise it will generally prefer LTE if there’s a LTE signal with 3 or more bars.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    People in the AT&T subforums are also talking about something similar as if the threshold was changed or removed entirely.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm not seeing any difference so far.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Definitely noticing a difference here. I work from home and spend 2+ hours per day on the phone (usually more). In iOS 10, my phone would flip between WiFi Calling and Verizon's network several times during a call (I live in a marginal signal area with 1-2 bars of LTE at home). Sometimes I would even drop calls due to all the handing off back and forth. Now it stays on WiFi calling. In iOS 11 WiFi calling is behaving like it should have from day 1.

Device(s)
    iPhones, Moto Series, (many)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I've also noticed a change in wifi calling with iOS 11. Like some here, for my uses the changes have been all good.
    I find the phone less likely to grab a weak but unusable wifi connection-- so whatever algorithm they're using seems to be improved, at least for my specific situation.

-Dan
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have also noticed Wi-Fi Calling being more aggressive. It doesn’t activate initially until around the same point as iOS 9 and 10 did, but once Wi-Fi Calling is on, it will only disconnect if my LTE signal is basically perfect — not just 4/4 bars, but like what I’m assuming is -75 dBm or better (no way to know for sure, now that iOS 11 has removed the numeric signal strength indicator).

Feedback Score

Wi-Fi Calling more aggressive with iOS 11

Maybe itsfocused more on the WiFi connection and once that weakens then will switch over to cellular because it sees you’re leaving the WiFi network. Makes sense but this is good news regardless.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if this is a push from Verizon to make wifi calling more aggressive. My friend has a S7 on Verizon and all of his voice calls use WiFi calling whenever possible, even with full signal bars (-85ish dbm).

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I wish the modern VoWi-Fi implementations included a “prefer cellular / prefer wifi” setting like the old T-Mobile UMA clients did. It was nice to be able to choose that setting in situations where you preferred one or the other.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ajholik View Post
    I wonder if this is a push from Verizon to make wifi calling more aggressive. My friend has a S7 on Verizon and all of his voice calls use WiFi calling whenever possible, even with full signal bars (-85ish dbm).
    This has always been the case with my S6 and S8. Which I prefer anyway. If I'm on WiFi, I want the call routed over it.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I noticed this as well, going from iOS 10 to iOS 11 Wi-Fi calling seems to almost be as aggressive as it is on my T-Mobile iPhone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't usually use Wi-Fi calling and this is very anecdotal, but I've noticed that if I turn it on at home and leave it on, the next day at work it never connects as Wi-Fi calling. I haven't figured out if it's just past some cell signal strength wonkineess/strengthiness, if the Wi-Fi signal is too inconsistent at work, or if Apple finally did us a favor and only connects as Wi-Fi Calling to networks you have white listed. I'm really hoping for the latter, but I'm guessing it's just some fluke that I haven't been able to pinpoint yet.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greg5green View Post
    I don't usually use Wi-Fi calling and this is very anecdotal, but I've noticed that if I turn it on at home and leave it on, the next day at work it never connects as Wi-Fi calling. I haven't figured out if it's just past some cell signal strength wonkineess/strengthiness, if the Wi-Fi signal is too inconsistent at work, or if Apple finally did us a favor and only connects as Wi-Fi Calling to networks you have white listed. I'm really hoping for the latter, but I'm guessing it's just some fluke that I haven't been able to pinpoint yet.
    It won't connect to WiFi calling unless/until your signal drops below a certain threshold. It's more aggressive in iOS 11 and it now STAYS on WiFi calling longer as well (vs. switching between WiFi calling and the macro cell tower repeatedly throughout a call if your signal is in the 2-3 bar range like it used to do on iOS 10).

Not sure what you mean by WiFi calling networks you have "white listed". You must be on WiFi to use WiFi calling and your signal has to drop below a certain threshold. If you have a strong signal and it never drops below that threshold (i.e. 2-3 bar range), your phone won't display WiFi calling.