Thread: Alcatel Idol 5 coming to Cricket Wireless on October 27

Feedback Score

Alcatel Idol 5 coming to Cricket Wireless on October 27

For anyone curious, it seems nearly identical to the Idol 4, the two noticeable differences being the Idol 5 will have a MediaTek P20, which uses 16nm FinFET process, meaning it should deliver a little better battery life. There's only 2 GB of RAM in this version.
    It will also have an ever so slightly larger battery 2800 mAh vs 2610 mAh of the Idol 4.
    here is a hands-on/first impression article http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=19628

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Guess I've been waiting on this phone from Cricket for nothing!

This Cricket version sucks, as I see it. Suckie processor, no finger print reader, small battery(still).

Geez, I'd bet if they upgraded the os on the Idol 4, it would be a better phone than this new 5.

Idols used to seem somewhat separated from Alcatel's other cheap junk. They were like (pseudo)flagship phones. But not this new Cricket version of the Idol 5.

The real Idol 5, at Amazon, now seems to be a much better deal.

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by gwite; 09-28-2017 at 11:38 PM.

Feedback Score
    yeah i agree, this one seems to be hamstrung a bit. the original specs call for 3 Gb of ram, but for some reason this one only has 2.. i wonder if them introducing this 'new' model means the idol 4 won't be getting anymore android updates b/c they are very similar. and i don't think it is worth the extra $150 vs the current price of the idol 4 with a port in

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gwite View Post
    Guess I've been waiting on this phone from Cricket for nothing!

This Cricket version sucks, as I see it. Suckie processor, no finger print reader, small battery(still).

Geez, I'd bet if they upgraded the os on the Idol 4, it would be a better phone than this new 5.

Idols used to seem somewhat separated from Alcatel's other cheap junk. They were like (pseudo)flagship phones. But not this new Cricket version of the Idol 5.

The real Idol 5, at Amazon, now seems to be a much better deal.

The p20 isn't an awful chip. What device have you used the p20 in that gave you issues? I agree it's not a 800 series Snapdragon chip but I'd much rather have the p20 than the low end s.d. 400 series most manufacturers are putting in their low to mid devices. The p20 is a better processor than a 400 series Qualcomm.

Feedback Score
    I think the previous idol 4 had a snapdragon 617. so the p20 is probably not a step up in performance vs the idol 4. just a slightly smaller process, so a little more battery efficient coupled with a slightly larger battery.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    I think the previous idol 4 had a snapdragon 617. so the p20 is probably not a step up in performance vs the idol 4. just a slightly smaller process, so a little more battery efficient coupled with a slightly larger battery.
    The p20 is a better chip than the 617. The 617 is actually a dog of a chipset. The newer 400 series quad core chips are better performers than the octacore 617. The p20 and the 625 are more comparable performance wise. The 625 which powers devices like the Moto g5 plus and such is a decent mid range processor.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Ok, I'm starting to rethink what I posted earlier(if what you guys say about the p20 turns out to be true).

Now, if only it had the fingerprint. Don't know why they left that out.

Still would only pay about $50 for it, on a port in deal.

Extremely wary of Mediatek processors, but curious now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ksych1 View Post
    The p20 is a better chip than the 617. The 617 is actually a dog of a chipset. The newer 400 series quad core chips are better performers than the octacore 617. The p20 and the 625 are more comparable performance wise. The 625 which powers devices like the Moto g5 plus and such is a decent mid range processor.
    haven't seen a review of a p20, but Mediatek chips are known to be inferior performance-wise vs snapdragon. I know the Mediatek on paper is 'better' vs the 617, but i wonder how it would really stand up in a head to head test. It would be nice to see some concrete test numbers in order to determine if it would really be worth the extra $150 vs the old idol 4 phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    haven't seen a review of a p20, but Mediatek chips are known to be inferior performance-wise vs snapdragon. I know the Mediatek on paper is 'better' vs the 617, but i wonder how it would really stand up in a head to head test. It would be nice to see some concrete test numbers in order to determine if it would really be worth the extra $150 vs the old idol 4 phone.
    Here's the benchmarks and specs on the p20. http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mediate....207986.0.html

Mediateks low end chips are pretty bad I agree, but their mid Helio series aren't awful chips, neither are their high end x series. The p20 benches out around the same as the 625. Now you are right, in the real world what would that mean? If the software on the Alcatel device is garbage then any performance advantages the chip may have you'll never notice, but if the software is the same as the idol 4, and the only real difference is the chipset, the idol 5 will be a snappier device.
    Here is also a video of a device running a Snapdragon 820 vs one running the p20, they are pretty neck and neck in performance. Again software will play a factor in that but performance wise it's not a terrible chip by any means.
    https://youtu.be/AYmsbt_8r-0

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ksych1 View Post
    Here's the benchmarks and specs on the p20. http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mediate....207986.0.html

Mediateks low end chips are pretty bad I agree, but their mid Helio series aren't awful chips, neither are their high end x series. The p20 benches out around the same as the 625. Now you are right, in the real world what would that mean? If the software on the Alcatel device is garbage then any performance advantages the chip may have you'll never notice, but if the software is the same as the idol 4, and the only real difference is the chipset, the idol 5 will be a snappier device.
    Here is also a video of a device running a Snapdragon 820 vs one running the p20, they are pretty neck and neck in performance. Again software will play a factor in that but performance wise it's not a terrible chip by any means.
    https://youtu.be/AYmsbt_8r-0
    I don't really want to try to find them again right now but last night I viewed at least 2 videos comparing p20 vs sd625 phones/chips where they explicitly show the p20 is inferior. They weren't putting the p20 down but just showing as a matter of fact(opinion?) that it was inferior, at least marginally.

I wouldn't mind if it only performed at least as well as the sd435.

Just got a ZTE Blade Zmax from Metro on a port in deal. I'm not any kind of hard core gamer as I don't play any games at all except the Cricket rewards games. The 435 runs those games about twice as fast as my unlocked Cricket Idol 3 w/sd615(runs the rrace in 50 sec vs 90+ on the Idol 3). All comparisons done on Tmo network.

And with those Alcatel's, it's not just the hardware but their poor integration/implementation of components and software.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gwite View Post
    I don't really want to try to find them again right now but last night I viewed at least 2 videos comparing p20 vs sd625 phones/chips where they explicitly show the p20 is inferior. They weren't putting the p20 down but just showing as a matter of fact(opinion?) that it was inferior, at least marginally.

I wouldn't mind if it only performed at least as well as the sd435.

Just got a ZTE Blade Zmax from Metro on a port in deal. I'm not any kind of hard core gamer as I don't play any games at all except the Cricket rewards games. The 435 runs those games about twice as fast as my unlocked Cricket Idol 3 w/sd615(runs the rrace in 50 sec vs 90+ on the Idol 3). All comparisons done on Tmo network.

And with those Alcatel's, it's not just the hardware but their poor integration/implementation of components and software.

The 615, 616 and 617 processors really were dog processors. The 435 chip and even the quad core 425,427 chips are better chips than the 615-617 lineup. I think the 625 does bench out a little higher than the p20 but they are really close. For the software/optimization, if the software is garbage and not optimized it really won't matter what chip is in it, people won't be happy with the performance. A lot of those 435 devices (like the ZTE) run an almost stock version of Android so it helps with performance there. Even the ones that run a skinned version such as the Stylo series runs a toned down version of the skin. I haven't used an Alcatel device in years so I can't comment on how heavy their skin is or how crappy the software is on it, but just on pure processor power the p20 is an improvement over the 617 in the idol 4.

Device(s)
    Iphone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Whoever makes the call on phones should be fired. Cricket needs a better selection

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Guardedly awaiting this phone. Hope it's on time as announced.

Although it will probably be awhile before it drops to my price range. Maybe they'll give it away Black Friday, lol.