Thread: Has T-Mobile voice reception significantly improved in rural SC and GA?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score

Has T-Mobile voice reception significantly improved in rural SC and GA?

I’m looking to move our two iPhones to a new carrier (presently with Selectel), and T-Mobile’s new 55+ plan is enticing. But decent coverage is necessary for the good plan to be worthwhile.

I have a friend who switched to T-Mobile a few years ago and soon switched to Verizon or ATT because he had poor signal strength with T-Mobile. However, my understanding is that T-Mobile is much better now.

My wife and I are in a small upstate South Carolina town, and we travel fairly regularly to southeast Georgia. Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of T-Mobile coverage in these states, especially the rural areas? I’m trying to decide between T-Mobile and Cricket.

Thanks.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile has improved in rural Georgia, but I'm not sure if they're good enough, yet. Which model iPhones do you have? If they aren't 6s or newer you won't be able to take advantage of T-Mobile's 700 MHz service, which is very important in rural areas. You might want to check some of the 3rd-party service maps, like Cellmapper.net, Sensorly.com and RootMetrics.com .
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I live and work in the Augusta area, T-Mobile has come a long way, in a lot of Aiken county their coverage rivals Verizon, same in Richmond county, it has improved a lot in rural Columbia , Burke and McDuffy but has a long way to go.

As far as band 12 goes it hasn't been deployed in the CSRA yet, should be coming soon, but for now in the rural areas you get band 2 and EDGE or nothing.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    T-Mobile has improved in rural Georgia, but I'm not sure if they're good enough, yet. Which model iPhones do you have? If they aren't 6s or newer you won't be able to take advantage of T-Mobile's 700 MHz service, which is very important in rural areas. You might want to check some of the 3rd-party service maps, like Cellmapper.net, Sensorly.com and RootMetrics.com .
    That’s good to hear. I have a 6s, but my wife has a 4S. Were we to go with T-Mobile, I would upgrade to a 7 Plus and my wife would take my 6s.

You mentioned T-Mobile’s 700 MHz service. Do you think that the 600 MHz rollout will have a noticeable improvement for T-Mobile coverage? I read somewhere that it will be 2019 before it’s put into play in SC.

Quote Originally Posted by spdracer5g View Post
    I live and work in the Augusta area, T-Mobile has come a long way, in a lot of Aiken county their coverage rivals Verizon, same in Richmond county, it has improved a lot in rural Columbia , Burke and McDuffy but has a long way to go.

As far as band 12 goes it hasn't been deployed in the CSRA yet, should be coming soon, but for now in the rural areas you get band 2 and EDGE or nothing.
    Is T-Mobile coverage good down U.S. 25? We travel that down to U.S. 301 at Statesboro.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
    That’s good to hear. I have a 6s, but my wife has a 4S. Were we to go with T-Mobile, I would upgrade to a 7 Plus and my wife would take my 6s.

You mentioned T-Mobile’s 700 MHz service. Do you think that the 600 MHz rollout will have a noticeable improvement for T-Mobile coverage? I read somewhere that it will be 2019 before it’s put into play in SC.
    The 4s is getting kind of long-of-tooth. While still good in some areas, it could be pretty useless in urban markets where T-Mobile has transitioned their PCS licenses to LTE and moved their 3G UMTS service to the AWS band (e.g. NYC).

T-Mobile now has low-band, in the form of either 700 or 850 MHz in most parts of SC. The exception being the area around Florence and Lake City.

SC has a lot of television stations that conflict, to one degree or another, with 600 MHz. It's difficult to give an exact schedule when each part of the state will be usable for wireless deployment. It does appear that a general area of W SC and NE GA is currently deployable. This includes a triangle from around Blairsville, GA to Hendersonville, NC to Anderson, SC, including Greenville.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The 4s is getting kind of long-of-tooth. While still good in some areas, it could be pretty useless in urban markets where T-Mobile has transitioned their PCS licenses to LTE and moved their 3G UMTS service to the AWS band (e.g. NYC).

T-Mobile now has low-band, in the form of either 700 or 850 MHz in most parts of SC. The exception being the area around Florence and Lake City.

SC has a lot of television stations that conflict, to one degree or another, with 600 MHz. It's difficult to give an exact schedule when each part of the state will be usable for wireless deployment. It does appear that a general area of W SC and NE GA is currently deployable. This includes a triangle from around Blairsville, GA to Hendersonville, NC to Anderson, SC, including Greenville.
    Thanks. This is excellent information. Do you have an idea of T-Mobile’s signal strength up I-26 from Spartanburg to Hendersonville? Of course, all carriers get iffy in the mountains.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
    Thanks. This is excellent information. Do you have an idea of T-Mobile’s signal strength up I-26 from Spartanburg to Hendersonville? Of course, all carriers get iffy in the mountains.
    I don't have much in the way of up-to-date personal information there but I can refer you to CellMapper:
    https://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=3...lse&showBand=0
    or Sensorly.com or RootMetrics.com

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I don't have much in the way of up-to-date personal information there but I can refer you to CellMapper:
    https://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=3...lse&showBand=0
    or Sensorly.com or RootMetrics.com
    I appreciate that.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Along HWY from Augusta to Statesboro has great coverage, there may be a few small spots of EDGE, but not many. I don't get much further south than there very often.

I was in Charleston SC last week and the coverage seemed pretty good, I was getting fast LTE even in Hollywood.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spdracer5g View Post
    Along HWY from Augusta to Statesboro has great coverage, there may be a few small spots of EDGE, but not many. I don't get much further south than there very often.

I was in Charleston SC last week and the coverage seemed pretty good, I was getting fast LTE even in Hollywood.
    That's encouraging. Thanks much.