Thread: AT&T and Equifax - Should AT&T customers be worried?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Question AT&T and Equifax - Should AT&T customers be worried?

Got this email from AT&T yesterday and their saying that their systems haven't been compromised, but why does AT&T need to work with Equifax? Seems like we are not getting the whole story here. Maybe a scam email? I haven't clicked on any of the links.

On September 7, 2017, Equifax announced that it suffered a data breach. There was no breach of AT&T systems or the data we maintain, but we have been working with Equifax to learn more about this event and understand there is a possibility that your personal information might have been exposed.

We encourage you to take the following steps to help protect your identity:

1. Visit www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/consumer-notice to determine if you are potentially affected and to sign up for credit file monitoring and identity theft protection.
    2. Contact major credit reporting agencies to place a fraud alert and/or credit freeze on your credit report, and to learn about identity theft programs offered by the Federal Trade Commission. Details on how to contact the credit reporting agencies and FTC can also be found at www.consumer.ftc.gov

If you believe you were the victim of identity theft, here are some steps you can consider for additional protection:

1. Close the accounts that you believe may have been tampered with or opened fraudulently. Use the Identity Theft Report, which can be found at www.identitytheft.gov
    2. File a police report and get a copy to submit to your creditors and others who may require proof of the crime.
    3. File your complaint with the FTC. The FTC maintains an identity theft database that law enforcement agencies use for investigations. Filing a complaint also helps the FTC better assist you, as the commission learns more about identity theft and the problems it creates.

Your privacy and data security are paramount to us. If you have any questions about this issue we strongly encourage you to visit www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/consumer-notice
    Hartford, CT Area

Feedback Score
    AT&T in some cases will pull a credit report. Equifax has not been clear which data was stolen but it sounds like a recent credit search system or some other search data was stolen.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    AT&T in some cases will pull a credit report. Equifax has not been clear which data was stolen but it sounds like a recent credit search system or some other search data was stolen.
    Oh I see. That makes sense.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't really consider AT&T to be working with Equifax on this - this is more like a courtesy notification.

AT&T uses Equifax to do credit checks. Anyone opening an account with AT&T, or adding lines, will probably have a credit check done.
    To do the credit check, AT&T requests your SS number, and gives it to Equifax.

Those links in the email are all safe, BTW.

And my 2 cents - I'd recommend a security freeze over credit monitoring, if you're not currently seeking credit.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    I wouldn't really consider AT&T to be working with Equifax on this - this is more like a courtesy notification.

AT&T uses Equifax to do credit checks. Anyone opening an account with AT&T, or adding lines, will probably have a credit check done.
    To do the credit check, AT&T requests your SS number, and gives it to Equifax.

Those links in the email are all safe, BTW.

And my 2 cents - I'd recommend a security freeze over credit monitoring, if you're not currently seeking credit.
    Yeah I would agree with the security freeze.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    I would expect AT&T or any business interacting with Equifax, Experian and TransUnion to inquire and investigate how and why these breaches occurred and what is being done to correct this problem. AT&T is doing the right thing by contacting Equifax regarding this, in the interests of consumers and their personal data.

Feedback Score
    I have AT&T prepaid account and never got this notice. My guess is, it was just sent to postpaid customers. I did get the notice from other companies via email.

The media seems to be running wild with this story when it is easily correctable. The FBI needs to prosecute the perpetrators and find the information distribution flow and shut it down. Anyone committing fraud with the information can be tracked back and prosecuted.

It is not an AT&T specific issue, however AT&T is right to let people know about it and to work on improving their own security protocols.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    I have AT&T prepaid account and never got this notice. My guess is, it was just sent to postpaid customers. I did get the notice from other companies via email.

The media seems to be running wild with this story when it is easily correctable. The FBI needs to prosecute the perpetrators and find the information distribution flow and shut it down. Anyone committing fraud with the information can be tracked back and prosecuted.

It is not an AT&T specific issue, however AT&T is right to let people know about it and to work on improving their own security protocols.

I have AT&T post paid and didn’t receive the email. Kinda hard for the FBI to prosecute if the hacking was from Russia or China. Once the information has been stolen, it will circulate for years.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

AT&T and Equifax - Should AT&T customers be worried?

I would imagine that if you haven’t run credit reports in the last few years that you might not be affected?

Feedback Score
    Anyone who has ever had a bank account, or a credit card, or taken a loan is affected. Equifax aggregates that information and sells it to multiple companies. Their data was stolen. Whether you ran your own credit report is irrelevant to the breach.