Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Calling Plus iOS 11

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    79
    Feedback Score
    0

    Calling Plus iOS 11

    There have been some reports of people getting Calling Plus on their iPhones with iOs 11 beta. Now that iOS 11 is out, does anyone have Calling Plus after iOS upgrade?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    35
    Feedback Score
    0
    Calling plus is only available on LG stylo 3, samsung J7 and Samsung s8/s8+

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    320
    Feedback Score
    0
    Calling plus works on my iPhone 8+ and everyone else with iPhone on iOS 11 on my account. I’m able to start a call on WiFi calling, turn WiFi off and have the LTE still available. It works great, I just wish all calls could start over LTE and not need WiFi calling originating.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    70
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Has there been any new information about this since the last post three days ago? Does it matter what iPhone is running 11.0.2?

    Is there any setting in the phone that has to be changed to enable this feature, or does it just work automatically for any call that begins on wifi and then loses the wifi connection for whatever reason? Do we know if or when iPhones will have the ability to send and receive calls initiated over LTE without any wifi involved?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    120
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMind2017 View Post
    Has there been any new information about this since the last post three days ago? Does it matter what iPhone is running 11.0.2?

    Is there any setting in the phone that has to be changed to enable this feature, or does it just work automatically for any call that begins on wifi and then loses the wifi connection for whatever reason? Do we know if or when iPhones will have the ability to send and receive calls initiated over LTE without any wifi involved?
    The iPhone does not currently support LTE calling on Sprint no matter which OS the device has, in sure it won't be long but right now there are only about 3 or 4 devices that are enabled to support it, it is still in beta testing.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CMA003 (Chicagoland)
    Posts
    2,406
    Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    0
    Why are Wi-Fi calls now handing off to LTE? I am seeing the same behavior on 11.0.

    Is it because it's just an active data session being handed off? I used to drop Wi-Fi calls when the signal was lost on previous iOS versions.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    320
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Why are Wi-Fi calls now handing off to LTE? I am seeing the same behavior on 11.0.

    Is it because it's just an active data session being handed off? I used to drop Wi-Fi calls when the signal was lost on previous iOS versions.
    Yes, iOS 11 now supports Calling Plus. It will hand WiFi calls to LTE over data, but does not work the same way as traditional VoLTE yet. It will not allow you to start the call over LTE yet, the call must hand off from WiFi. Typically I’ve been able to start a call on WiFi then I turn WiFi off and the call keeps going just fine but I like the call quality much better than the old 1X advanced call quality.


    I’m not sure why the Sprint Calling Plus page has not updated, but all Sprint friends and myself with iOS 11 now experience this.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    70
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Seems like they're finally getting it together, but they might still be having difficulty with the handoffs between CDMA and LTE in either or both directions. The potential T-Sprint merger might help speed this up hopefully, if it actually happens.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    553
    Feedback Score
    0
    You guys know you can record your screen now. Why won’t you record it and post it here if no one believes you. Just a small hint

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    460
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMind2017 View Post
    Seems like they're finally getting it together, but they might still be having difficulty with the handoffs between CDMA and LTE in either or both directions. The potential T-Sprint merger might help speed this up hopefully, if it actually happens.
    The T-Mobile merger will definitely speed things up, everyone will be transitioned to the t-mobile network and off the sprint dinosaur, at the same time sprints towers will be reprovisioned to broadcast a t-mobile signal.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    320
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jake26 View Post
    You guys know you can record your screen now. Why won’t you record it and post it here if no one believes you. Just a small hint
    I recorded it but can’t find a way to upload it to HoFo and imgur only allows photos. So here are two screenshots, one with the call starting on WiFi calling and the second was after I disabled WiFi and the call remained on LTE. I’ll even include a third of a call originating on cellular so you can see the three indicators by the bars.

    The first is on WiFi
    Second is the same call with WiFi disabled and LTE showing
    Third is a separate call originating on only cellular and you can see the data connection no longer displaying any indicator. Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1507445342.661874.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  16.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1507445357.276856.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  17.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1507445369.127495.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  16.2 KB

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    70
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Did you actually hear the call connect or remain connected after disabling wifi?

    I tried doing exactly what you described, except using two sprint phones instead of calling 611. One phone is a 5c running 10.3.3 and the other is an SE running 11.0.2.

    When I initiated the call from the 5c on iOS 10, the call started on wifi calling, I was able to answer on the SE, and I heard myself talking from both phone speakers as I made noises into both microphones. Then I switched off wifi entirely on the 5c that had originated the call, and the call disconnected immediately, as expected, since this Calling Plus feature is only supposed to work on Apple devices running iOS 11. I got the "call failed" screen with the option to try to initiate a new call to the same number.

    Then took the SE on iOS 11 and I used it to initiate a call that started on wifi calling. Again I was able to answer on the 5c, and I heard myself talking from both phone speakers as I made noises into both microphones. Then I switched off wifi entirely on the SE that had originated the call, and although the call did not appear to disconnect immediately, the sound went completely dead in both phones at the exact moment I turned off the wifi connection on the originating phone. About 30 seconds later, the receiving phone disconnected.

    So there's clearly a difference here between iOS 10 and iOS 11, and that indicates Sprint is likely working on implementing Calling Plus for iOS 11 devices, but the system is not up and running yet.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CMA003 (Chicagoland)
    Posts
    2,406
    Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just tested this. iPhone 6S on iOS 11.0, and yes the call stays connected on LTE after disconnecting Wi-Fi.

    If you go into Settings-General-About while the LTE call is still connected and tap on the Carrier name it even shows the IMS Status listed as "Voice & SMS" like all carriers do when using VoLTE.

    It does go away after the call disconnects, but this would tell me that the call is definitely using LTE calling while the call is still in progress. I'm going to test this on my way home today to see how long I can hold the LTE call driving on the expressway.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,702
    Feedback Score
    0
    People have reported it on S4GRU too.

    I have no doubt that what is being reported is accurate.
    Last edited by comintel; 10-09-2017 at 04:55 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    320
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMind2017 View Post
    Did you actually hear the call connect or remain connected after disabling wifi?

    I tried doing exactly what you described, except using two sprint phones instead of calling 611. One phone is a 5c running 10.3.3 and the other is an SE running 11.0.2.

    When I initiated the call from the 5c on iOS 10, the call started on wifi calling, I was able to answer on the SE, and I heard myself talking from both phone speakers as I made noises into both microphones. Then I switched off wifi entirely on the 5c that had originated the call, and the call disconnected immediately, as expected, since this Calling Plus feature is only supposed to work on Apple devices running iOS 11. I got the "call failed" screen with the option to try to initiate a new call to the same number.

    Then took the SE on iOS 11 and I used it to initiate a call that started on wifi calling. Again I was able to answer on the 5c, and I heard myself talking from both phone speakers as I made noises into both microphones. Then I switched off wifi entirely on the SE that had originated the call, and although the call did not appear to disconnect immediately, the sound went completely dead in both phones at the exact moment I turned off the wifi connection on the originating phone. About 30 seconds later, the receiving phone disconnected.

    So there's clearly a difference here between iOS 10 and iOS 11, and that indicates Sprint is likely working on implementing Calling Plus for iOS 11 devices, but the system is not up and running yet.
    Well it’s also important to keep in mind the iPhone 5C never supported VoLTE and never will. So your SE on iOS 11 is the only phone compatible with this.

    When I do this, which I do for nearly every call I make now because the quality is so good, I never have a lag between switching and I’ve never had a call fail or disconnect. I have started multiple calls on WiFi and walked out of my home to have it transition perfectly over to LTE, and I have also turned off WiFi during many phone calls to have it remain on LTE.

    611 was only an example. It doesn’t matter what number you call. If your phone supports it, it’ll work on any number.

Similar Threads

  1. Wi-Fi Calling more aggressive with iOS 11
    By RenoWirelessGuru in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-16-2017, 06:24 PM
  2. Call Plus, Page Plus, someone else?
    By Timmy2 in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-04-2005, 05:06 PM
  3. call plus
    By smartcap in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 06:54 PM
  4. 411 rate changes to $1.25/call plus airtime
    By TELUSMobilityGuy in forum TELUS Mobility
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-11-2003, 02:26 AM
  5. GPRS --> EDGE beginning late this year, plus 802.11
    By cheerioboy26 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-20-2002, 04:10 PM

Bookmarks