Thread: Changing phone on your Tracfone account?

Feedback Score

Changing phone on your Tracfone account?

I found out I can simply pull out my current Tracfone sim card and put in another phone, and everything works well. Since the new phone is Verizon prepaid phone (E4), I may not be able to swap the phone officially through Tracfone. I am thinking just using it as it is now.

Now, my question is: what about my old phone, can I use it for other carriers or another Tracfone account, since that phone's ESN could be still under my current Tracfone account ?

Thank you !

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gjbwj8 View Post
    I found out I can simply pull out my current Tracfone sim card and put in another phone, and everything works well. Since the new phone is Verizon prepaid phone (E4), I may not be able to swap the phone officially through Tracfone. I am thinking just using it as it is now.

Now, my question is: what about my old phone, can I use it for other carriers or another Tracfone account, since that phone's ESN could be still under my current Tracfone account ?

Thank you !
    No........

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score

Thank you !
    No, the TF phone is whitelisted with Verizon. Swapping the SIM to another phone does not change the fact the TF phone IMEI is still whitelisted with Verizon. The IMEI of the now host phone E4 does not come into play.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Only one active SIM card per IMEI. Activate a second SIM using the same IMEI and the first SIM is deactivated...,.losing your phone number and airtime. It will be a real Adventure getting it back.

This lesson was first learned when Straight Talk came out with the two Nokia AT&T Smartphones quite a few years ago and it was learned you could actually move their SIM to another phone. There was only one ST Verizon 3G Smartphone before that that had no SIM to move.
    Last edited by Tracfancier; 09-29-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    No........
    Quote Originally Posted by mathfaster View Post
    No, the TF phone is whitelisted with Verizon. Swapping the SIM to another phone does not change the fact the TF phone IMEI is still whitelisted with Verizon. The IMEI of the now host phone E4 does not come into play.
    I've seen these replies in the past and asked virtually the same question in this thread that I started - http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...Verizon-MVNO-s

But has anyone actually tried and failed?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    I've seen these replies in the past and asked virtually the same question in this thread that I started - http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...Verizon-MVNO-s

But has anyone actually tried and failed?
    I think the post just above your post answers that, if I understand what you're asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Only one active SIM card per IMEI. Activate a second SIM using the same IMEI and the first SIM is deactivated...,.losing your phone number and airtime. It will be a real Adventure getting it back.

This lesson was first learned when Straight Talk came out with the two Nokia AT&T Smartphones quite a few years ago and it was learned you could actually move their SIM to another phone. There was only one ST Verizon 3G Smartphone before that that had no SIM to move.
    But to answer the question at the link you provided, which is NOT the same question, the answer is that the activation would fail because the phone is active on another Vzw MVNO. When you put your currently active IMEI into other MVNO check tools, the positive result was most likely indicating that the phone could be activated, but it would only be successful if it was activated as a port, which would deactivate it on the other MVNO.

Feedback Score
    Thank you all, and I also read that link, so the conclusion is:

my old phone will not be able to be activated on another Verizon MVNO or another Tracfone account, because its ESN is still active under my current Tracfone account, unless to do # port out.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thank you all, and I also read that link, so the conclusion is:

my old phone will not be able to be activated on another Verizon MVNO or another Tracfone account, because its ESN is still active under my current Tracfone account, unless to do # port out.
    It cannot be Activated because of the IMEI being tied to a SIM/service, but you can put an active SIM tied to another IMEI in that phone. So far Verizon is doing nothing about IMEI/SIM mismatches on their network.

Also, when activating a SIM, it does not have to be in the phone whose IMEI you gave.

Feedback Score
    It's not a 100% clear to me, but maybe TracFone is doing something about blocking refills on mismatched CDMA IMEIs based on prof68s posts in this thread:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-still-kicking

I think we need to monitor the situation before concluding they are as this is only one report like this that I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    It cannot be Activated because of the IMEI being tied to a SIM/service, but you can put an active SIM tied to another IMEI in that phone. So far Verizon is doing nothing about IMEI/SIM mismatches on their network.

Also, when activating a SIM, it does not have to be in the phone whose IMEI you gave.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I too am interested in seeing more details from prof68 and if others will come foreword with the same experience.
    I have given thought to buying the Moto E4, but I keep thinking Black Friday. And now this possible new wrinkle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    It's not a 100% clear to me, but maybe TracFone is doing something about blocking refills on mismatched CDMA IMEIs based on prof68s posts in this thread:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-still-kicking

I think we need to monitor the situation before concluding they are as this is only one report like this that I've seen.
    ?? Say you turn off your phone and refill on their website using your computer or on the TF app on a different phone. How would they know that your SIM card is inserted in a different phone?

Feedback Score
    Good point. Or the could do something like looking at the IMEI number last used with the SIM vs registration IMEI. Total speculation on all this at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by rchang View Post
    ?? Say you turn off your phone and refill on their website using your computer or on the TF app on a different phone. How would they know that your SIM card is inserted in a different phone?