Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 5, orphaned but still kicking

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

iPhone 5, orphaned but still kicking

It seems that my iPhone 5 (the original, not 5c or 5s) is now orphaned. It won't run iOS 11. I've had it on Tracfone for 2.5 years. However, since it will still do everything it did before iOS 11 came out, and meets my needs, I suspect I don't need to worry. I mostly use it for voice, internet and navigation when I'm not home, plus the occasional text.

About how long does an iPhone stay usable and safe to run after it can no longer support the latest OS? I believe there are people on here who are still running an iPhone 4 or 4s on Tracfone, right?

I long ago found that the 400 minute/1 year fill-up, bought at tracfone.com and tripled with triple minutes for life, was the simplest, most reasonable way for me. For about $10 per month, I've got more voice and text than I need, and just about enough data.

If at some point I need to replace the phone, say with an iPhone SE or one of the Moto Android phones often recommended here, what would be the best way to proceed? Get a SIM kit and a cheap 30-day card, activate it, and then later transfer my number and minutes (saving screen clips of my balances to make a case if Tracfone trashes my buckets)? Or just move the SIM from the old to the new phone, and continue as if nothing had happened? I wouldn't want to lose my triple minutes, but I also wouldn't want my phone to stop working if they ever checked for an IMEI mismatch.

Just thinking about the future...

Feedback Score
    They have not cared about IMEI not matching so far. I would just swap the SIM into your new phone, retaining your TMFL and everything else, and call it a day .

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    They have not cared about IMEI not matching so far.
    They might now. I couldn't add service to my wife's phone. To make a long story short, they said it was because of a serial number mismatch (she was using a SIM swapped phone).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prof68 View Post
    They might now. I couldn't add service to my wife's phone. To make a long story short, they said it was because of a serial number mismatch (she was using a SIM swapped phone).

That's interesting, prof. Thanks for sharing.

Since the phone serial number isn't required for BYOP on Tracfone AT&T or T-Mobile I'm presuming/hoping that your wife's phone is on TF Verizon. Is that the case? Or have they possibly extended device checking to GSM service also?

When sim swapping, I've always held onto the original phone in which the sim was first activated mainly because I didn't want to deal with reselling. If adding service becomes an issue having the original phone may become a necessity.

Feedback Score
    Was this a TracFone branded phone or a BYOP? Do you have a detailed post somewhere about this experience you can link or can you provide some details here please?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    It was a BYOP. Originally a $10 Moto E from BB then SIM swapped to a Samsung Verizon prepaid. I never posted any detail.

Feedback Score
    So what happened? You had the SIM in the Samsung prepaid, it worked fine, you tried to add airtime and it failed? What was the resolution?

It was a BYOP. Originally a $10 Moto E from BB then SIM swapped to a Samsung Verizon prepaid. I never posted any detail.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    That's what happened. I ended up buying a TF branded phone and fought to have the due buckets added to it.

Feedback Score
    Interesting. Were you able to go SIM swap back to the Verizon Samsung prepaid? If they are really checking, I expect to see more reports on this. I wonder if they're just checking for the newer Verizon prepaids which haven't had the ransom paid on them as rumored.

That's what happened. I ended up buying a TF branded phone and fought to have the due buckets added to it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    No, I didn't swap back. I'm not messing wth her phone anymore.

Feedback Score
    It's good to hear that you saved the service. Thanks again for sharing.

For anyone buying Tracfones with service, hang onto the original Tracfones if you're sim swapping from one - you'll never know when you might need it!

Feedback Score
    So is it correct that the phone with the issue was a newer Verizon prepaid which didn't have the ransom paid off on it?

Did you happen to have paid an eBay unlocker for an unlock code for it?

No, I didn't swap back. I'm not messing wth her phone anymore.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Another reason to retain the phone the SIM was activated with. Put the SIM back in the original phone when interacting with Tracfone.
    I am not posting anything new, this is longstanding advice from the Forums.

Feedback Score
    But still worth repeating for newbies and SIM swappers who may have forgotten or not know to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Another reason to retain the phone the SIM was activated with. Put the SIM back in the original phone when interacting with Tracfone.
    I am not posting anything new, this is longstanding advice from the Forums.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfu2215 View Post
    Since the phone serial number isn't required for BYOP on Tracfone AT&T or T-Mobile I'm presuming/hoping that your wife's phone is on TF Verizon. Is that the case? Or have they possibly extended device checking to GSM service also?
    They can't be checking BYOP GSM SIM swapping because the SIM was never associated to a phone serial number in the first place.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast