Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 5, orphaned but still kicking

Device(s)
    Iphone 5 se, Iphone 4s
    Carrier(s)
    T mobile, Tracfone
    Feedback Score

iPhone 5, orphaned but still kicking

I had an lg Sunshine and then got the ZTE CINTRINE. I was going to get the ZTE MAJESTY but I found out I may lose my tripple minutes. So I ended up swapping sims between my old iphone 4s and backup SE.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prof68 View Post
    It was a BYOP. Originally a $10 Moto E from BB then SIM swapped to a Samsung Verizon prepaid. I never posted any detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The history with the $10 Moto E IIs was slightly different than with the current Moto VZ prepaid phones. When they first came out they were totally unlocked and you could activate new TF/VZ service on them. Those were the ones that got the text warnings in May of this year. Then in Jan 2016 you had to unlock them and could only use TF/VZ Sims activated on another phone. Now you have to unlock them and can only bring over activated SIMS unless you want to pay the VZ prepaid ransom first.

Feedback Score
    I had a similar situation with an active MotoEII TF/VZ sim swapped into a VZ Prepaid Moto G4 Play with an unlock code. Added airtime and just got the service days, no minutes/texts/data. Was finally able to get it resolved with Exec Resolutions. They added the minutes/texts/data "directly through Verizon" rather than through their system. Not sure if this was due to the "serial number mismatch" or not, they never mentioned it. This makes me a bit gun shy to add more airtime now though. What would the solution be? Swap the SIM into the original Moto EII, add the airtime, make sure I get it, then swap the SIM back to the G4 Play? Has anyone who had trouble with the airtime not being added tried this?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by davegar View Post
    I had a similar situation with an active MotoEII TF/VZ sim swapped into a VZ Prepaid Moto G4 Play with an unlock code. Added airtime and just got the service days, no minutes/texts/data. Was finally able to get it resolved with Exec Resolutions. They added the minutes/texts/data "directly through Verizon" rather than through their system. Not sure if this was due to the "serial number mismatch" or not, they never mentioned it. This makes me a bit gun shy to add more airtime now though. What would the solution be? Swap the SIM into the original Moto EII, add the airtime, make sure I get it, then swap the SIM back to the G4 Play? Has anyone who had trouble with the airtime not being added tried this?
    Anything is possible but I don't believe a swapped SIM is the reason for things not being added properly. Case in point. I have a SIM swapped phone where I added 1GB and it updated correctly and 6 weeks later the addition of 1GB data failed to add.

Feedback Score
    Added through the Verizon system? I've never heard that before and not even sure what it means. I assumed all the buckets are accounted for on the TracFone side based on usage reporting from the carriers. I would expect that they would have mentioned that the IMEI mismatched if that's the reason for the problem - as they apparently did with prof68.

Feedback Score
    Since it failed 6 weeks later, it's possible something changed on the TracFone end - but I would think they would tell you if there's a mismatch with something they are checking for now. Or maybe just a random failure - who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by mathfaster View Post
    Anything is possible but I don't believe a swapped SIM is the reason for things not being added properly. Case in point. I have a SIM swapped phone where I added 1GB and it updated correctly and 6 weeks later the addition of 1GB data failed to add.

Feedback Score
    What would the solution be? Swap the SIM into the original Moto EII, add the airtime, make sure I get it, then swap the SIM back to the G4 Play? Has anyone who had trouble with the airtime not being added tried this?
    Swapping the sim into the original phone should work. There have been a number of reports about airtime not being added correctly on here but prof68's post is the first one I've read that attributed the issue to a serial mismatch.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfu2215 View Post
    Swapping the sim into the original phone should work. There have been a number of reports about airtime not being added correctly on here but prof68's post is the first one I've read that attributed the issue to a serial mismatch.
    Anything is possible but given my experience trying to fix units that were not added properly, I'm going to call BS on Tracfone attributing it to a mismatch. Maybe they're giving up on lying about you used the units and now are spewing BS about an IMEI mismatch.

Feedback Score
    If anyone here had airtime not get added correctly and the SIM registration matched the phone IMEI (no SIM swap involved), it would be good to hear from you.

Feedback Score
    Not having problems swapping my Verizon SIM between my LG G3 and Moto G5 Plus, but neither was TF branded or VZW prepaid. (Just did it an hour ago.)

Use clean phones and you can SIM swap. Remember that the official Verizon policy supports SIM swapping.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    They can't be checking BYOP GSM SIM swapping because the SIM was never associated to a phone serial number in the first place.
    That's true. But GSM phones have an IMEI that could be used if the carriers wanted to restrict sim swapping. I was just probing what had happened in prof68's case. As it turns out it was a CDMA phone as expected.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to all for your input. I'm just going to attribute it to Tracfone ineptness and just add airtime again when needed. I'm using the original EII as a wifi device, so I can always try swapping the SIM back so the "serial numbers match" if it doesn't add to the phone correctly. Life's too short to worry about what Tracfone/VZ will do next.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Added through the Verizon system? I've never heard that before and not even sure what it means.
    Well, here's my take on that, I could be all wet though. The balance of a smartphone/SIM is kept at two places: TF system and the carrier's system. When you buy/add airtime or activate a phone, the balance is updated on TF system first, because the carrier's system wouldn't know anything about double, triple, bonus code, etc. Then the balance info is "pushed out" to the carrier's system. Sometimes there's delay which explains when you're chatting with a rep, the rep gives you the new balance but when you try to make a call you get the message that you have no minutes. Then the rep says "Give me a minute to look at that", and the rep manually does something to get the balance pushed out to the carrier immediately.

The reason the balance is also kept on the carrier's system is that when you make/receive a call the carrier can immediately check your balance to decide whether or not to connect the call, without having to querry Tracfone's system which would cause a delay. On a non-smartphone, the balance is kept on the phone and the phone's software does that checking.

For a BYOP CDMA SIM, if TF maintains the balance info based on the SIM number or the phone number, but Verizon maintains the balance based on IMEI, and you did a SIM swap, I can see how troubles can arise. Maybe "Added through Verizon system" means TF checked to see which phone IMEI that SIM/phone number was being used with, and got Verizon to add to the balance of that IMEI on Verizon sytem.

Feedback Score
    How would SIM swapping with CDMA devices have worked then? Wouldn't the Verizon system have prevented a swapped phone from making a call because its IMEI isn't registered with a bucket balance?

Well, here's my take on that, I could be all wet though. The balance of a smartphone/SIM is kept at two places: TF system and the carrier's system. When you buy/add airtime or activate a phone, the balance is updated on TF system first, because the carrier's system wouldn't know anything about double, triple, bonus code, etc. Then the balance info is "pushed out" to the carrier's system. Sometimes there's delay which explains when you're chatting with a rep, the rep gives you the new balance but when you try to make a call you get the message that you have no minutes. Then the rep says "Give me a minute to look at that", and the rep manually does something to get the balance pushed out to the carrier immediately.

The reason the balance is also kept on the carrier's system is that when you make/receive a call the carrier can immediately check your balance to decide whether or not to connect the call, without having to querry Tracfone's system which would cause a delay. On a non-smartphone, the balance is kept on the phone and the phone's software does that checking.

For a BYOP CDMA SIM, if TF maintains the balance info based on the SIM number or the phone number, but Verizon maintains the balance based on IMEI, and you did a SIM swap, I can see how troubles can arise.

Feedback Score

For a BYOP CDMA SIM, if TF maintains the balance info based on the SIM number or the phone number, but Verizon maintains the balance based on IMEI, and you did a SIM swap, I can see how troubles can arise...
    There is no evidence that VZW stores the balance based on IMEI. The whole point of a SIM card is device Independence. VZW supports SIM swapping for their own customers, so it's hard to imagine that they use a separate system for MVNO customers.

I swapped a VZW SIM this morning, while it is plausible that Verizon went and looked up the account info when it noticed a different IMEI using that SIM card, that is so much more complicated.

BTW, when I swapped the VZW card out of my Moto G5, I also swapped in an AT&T SIM into the G5. So, VZW doesn't even own the IMEI anymore. AFAIK, the phone only has one IMEI. Next time, I'll turn on the phone with the AT&T SIM first. Then, it will be clearer that AT&T already told Verizon "Hey, the phone with this IMEI is on our network now." Don't see how VZW is going to store the balance by IMEI in that situation.

My understanding is that every time you turn on your phone, or even when you reconnect to the network, the phone companies have to recheck the IMEI-SIM pairing to see if it has changed from before. The SIM card says which account to charge, the IMEI says which phone is being used.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast