Thread: Two GSM lines with at least 2GB each using iPhones: Cricket or PureTalk?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score

Two GSM lines with at least 2GB each using iPhones: Cricket or PureTalk?

I intend to move our two lines within a couple of weeks from CDMA to a GSM carrier.

I've considered T-Mobile, but we would have to replace the 4S so I want to wait till iPhone has a phone with Band 71 before buying a new phone. Having purchased the 4S in 2011, we obviously hang onto these expensive critters for a while.

I think I've narrowed the choice down to Cricket and PureTalk. I'm trying to determine the pros and cons of each.

We have two iPhones: a SIM-free 6s and a Verizon 4S. Both IMEI's cleared Cricket's BYOP page. I realize that the 4S will get only 3G data, but that is fine. I would like to have 2GB minimum data on each phone in addition to talk and text.

Any insight into either MVNO (or both) is much appreciated.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I've been on both, currently with PureTalk. I left cricket because the $30 plan is not competitive in the current market. Me and my daughter both ported to PT (she left Airvoice and now has 3gb for a fraction more). I haven't seen much difference between the two with the exception of price points/data offerings. I will say that PT has great CS and they are US based.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by touchofwhimsy View Post
    I've been on both, currently with PureTalk. I left cricket because the $30 plan is not competitive in the current market. Me and my daughter both ported to PT (she left Airvoice and now has 3gb for a fraction more). I haven't seen much difference between the two with the exception of price points/data offerings. I will say that PT has great CS and they are US based.
    I like the CS and US based comment. I think I read PureTalk has visual voicemail and tethering for iPhones. Does Cricket have visual voicemail?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
    I like the CS and US based comment. I think I read PureTalk has visual voicemail and tethering for iPhones. Does Cricket have visual voicemail?
    Yes^.

The other thing to consider is that with Cricket, all the taxes & fees are included in the price. With PureTalk, they're extra:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...4#post16908794

You'd be looking at $70/everything for 2 lines (with the $10 multiline discount) with 4 GBs each on Cricket.

You'd be looking at $60/everything for 2 lines (but need to calculate a 10% multiline discount and add in the applicable taxes & fees) with 3GBs each on PureTalk.

So, depending on where you live, you need to calculate the applicable taxes & fees for two lines on PureTalk.

Then you need to decide if you want/need 3 or 4 GBs (or more?) per line.

Feedback Score
    Decide if the hotspot which is included in PureTalk has any value for you. The feature has value for us.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    Decide if the hotspot which is included in PureTalk has any value for you. The feature has value for us.
    Occasionally it would be nice to have.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    As mentioned above taxes and fees are not included. When we started out, we had a $29 and $24 plan on PT, minus the discount and adding the taxes back in, it was still around $53 here in central NY. PT has a great dashboard to monitor usage as well, a feature I like. I moved to the $10 plan when I looked at my usage over a couple months.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by touchofwhimsy View Post
    As mentioned above taxes and fees are not included. When we started out, we had a $29 and $24 plan on PT, minus the discount and adding the taxes back in, it was still around $53 here in central NY. PT has a great dashboard to monitor usage as well, a feature I like. I moved to the $10 plan when I looked at my usage over a couple months.
    That’s great info about the dashboard and moving from one plan to another.

Feedback Score
    I intend to move our two lines within a couple of weeks from CDMA to a GSM carrier.

I've considered T-Mobile, but we would have to replace the 4S so I want to wait till iPhone has a phone with Band 71 before buying a new phone. Having purchased the 4S in 2011, we obviously hang onto these expensive critters for a while.

I think I've narrowed the choice down to Cricket and PureTalk. I'm trying to determine the pros and cons of each.

We have two iPhones: a SIM-free 6s and a Verizon 4S. Both IMEI's cleared Cricket's BYOP page. I realize that the 4S will get only 3G data, but that is fine. I would like to have 2GB minimum data on each phone in addition to talk and text.

Any insight into either MVNO (or both) is much appreciated.
    Interested to know as to why the move from CDMA to GSM. Otherwise, if CDMA is still an option, for a two line on Verizon, Total Wireless at $60 is one of the very good options.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindolam View Post
    Interested to know as to why the move from CDMA to GSM. Otherwise, if CDMA is still an option, for a two line on Verizon, Total Wireless at $60 is one of the very good options.
    From what I can gather, GSM MVNOs (Cricket and Straighttalk) have better building penetration in our locale than do CDMA MVNOs (Selectel and Straighttalk).

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    From what I can gather, GSM MVNOs (Cricket and Straighttalk) have better building penetration in our locale than do CDMA MVNOs (Selectel and Straighttalk).
    I don't think that's entirely accurate, at least not in every location.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I don't think that's entirely accurate, at least not in every location.
    I'm just speaking of our particular location, a small town in upstate SC, and all I have is anecdotal evidence. Our secretary has CDMA Straighttalk and, like me with Selectel, has to step outside often for phone calls. Her daughter and son-in-law had CDMA Straighttalk and had similar issues, she at her school and he at his business. The daughter bought another Android phone, same make and model but GSM, put it on GSM Straighttalk, and gets signals where previously she could not with the CDMA side of things.

Carrier(s)
    Largest GSM Network
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bakedapple View Post
    Yes^.

The other thing to consider is that with Cricket, all the taxes & fees are included in the price. With PureTalk, they're extra:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...4#post16908794

You'd be looking at $70/everything for 2 lines (with the $10 multiline discount) with 4 GBs each on Cricket.

You'd be looking at $60/everything for 2 lines (but need to calculate a 10% multiline discount and add in the applicable taxes & fees) with 3GBs each on PureTalk.

So, depending on where you live, you need to calculate the applicable taxes & fees for two lines on PureTalk.

Then you need to decide if you want/need 3 or 4 GBs (or more?) per line.
    Do not forget the special HOFO promo code in our sticky thread. 75% off first month of service.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PureTalkUSA View Post
    Do not forget the special HOFO promo code in our sticky thread. 75% off first month of service.
    The applied HOFO75 discount is working only for the first line. Perhaps there’s an error in the online calculator.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    The applied HOFO75 discount is working only for the first line. Perhaps there’s an error in the online calculator.
    Yeah. If HoFo member PureTalkUSA keeps advertising "75% off first month of service" in multiple threads, THEY NEED TO FIX THAT, because right now, it is FALSE ADVERTISING by PureTalkUSA!