Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is this a Freedom site?

Device(s)
    ZTE Grand X 4
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score

Is this a Freedom site?

So, I was eating at the Humpty's off MacLeod Trail, in Calgary, and I was doing speedtests and I got some of the fastest Freedom LTE speeds I've seen in Calgary, and I've had LTE since it was launched here in May. I then remembered that there is a tower right beside the restaurant, and I walked over and took some pictures

Sent from my Z957 using HoFo mobile app
    Damn!

Device(s)
    LG V20
    Carrier(s)
    WIND/Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hard to see, but if there are only small (high frequency) antennae and Nokia equipment, I vote yes.

Cell antennas look like this - vertical and white/offwhite usually.

I don't really see any in the pic. Looks more like a relay tower for other microwave transmission.

Device(s)
    ZTE Grand X 4
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lewl View Post
    Hard to see, but if there are only small (high frequency) antennae and Nokia equipment, I vote yes.

Cell antennas look like this - vertical and white/offwhite usually.

I don't really see any in the pic. Looks more like a relay tower for other microwave transmission.
    I thought maybe those squareish ones on the very top might be cell antennaes?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S4, Desire 601
    Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by qag01 View Post
    I thought maybe those squareish ones on the very top might be cell antennaes?

Yep, the very top are high frequency, below are dishes and other antennas for public safety. It looks like a Freedom tower to me.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using HoFo mobile app
    I will never buy an HTC ever again! (two broke within 4 years, which were well taken care of)

Learn about price collusion, https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comm...n_of_canadian/ Canada has the highest utility rates in the G7 countries. Say no to price collusion, be informed of the CCTS, Industry Canada and the CRTC. The working class needs affordability in today's society.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Yes, its Nokia for LTE and Huawei for UMTS. This setup matches their other sites like:

Where UMTS RRU is on top, LTE on bottom.

Feedback Score
    Nokia in Calgary is definitely Freedom. Telus and Rogers use Huawei in Calgary.

Huawei UMTS for Freedom is only in southwestern Ontario: London/Windsor etc.

Freedom UMTS in Calgary might be legacy ALU equipment, or more likely it has been swapped to newer Nokia.

How is it identified on this site: https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    ZTE Grand X 4
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pjw918 View Post
    Yeah, actually that was on a plaque attached to the towerI didn't think it had relevance, so I didn't put it in first post, but I guess that's a nice easy way of identifying sites. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Freedom's site naming convention is to use the first 3 letters to identify the market. In this case A means Alberta, CA means Calgary.

Toronto would be OTOxxxx.

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    Freedom's site naming convention is to use the first 3 letters to identify the market. In this case A means Alberta, CA means Calgary.

Toronto would be OTOxxxx.
    I wish I was invited to the convention. I wonder who the keynote speaker was?
    Was there a buffet?

I'd like to call a site "George", or maybe "Beulah"....

Sent from my XT1563 using HoFo mobile app
    --------------------------------
    Un petit d'un petit
    S'étonne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degrés te fallent

Old French Proverb from the book of; Mots D'Heures Gousses Rames

(I am the Stig!)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I did a bit of research on this (alongside asking some people in the industry, who were also convinced the top boxes were Huawei from the pictures).
    Turns out Nokia recently changed their RRH designs to closely mimick Huawei design language.

After looking at a local site in Vancouver, the top box should be a Nokia FRIJ and the bottom either a Nokia FRIE (which is the only equipment they have registered with ISED) or some Flexi BTS for 3G.
    Unfortunately, they are too far up to see the labels on them.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
    I did a bit of research on this (alongside asking some people in the industry, who were also convinced the top boxes were Huawei from the pictures).
    Turns out Nokia recently changed their RRH designs to closely mimick Huawei design language.

After looking at a local site in Vancouver, the top box should be a Nokia FRIJ and the bottom either a Nokia FRIE (which is the only equipment they have registered with ISED) or some Flexi BTS for 3G.
    Unfortunately, they are too far up to see the labels on them.
    Correct. The FRIJ is going to be an RRH from their newer AirScale product line (hence the new design language) in this case the J revision adds AWS-3 band. It is also 4T4R capable.

Then the FRIE is from the Flexi product line with very distinctive solar shield. This is a 2T2R UMTS IV radio, albeit it could technically be used for LTE 4.

I always figured they could run U2100+L2150 from the single FRIJ with multiple system modules, but I guess not..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for confirming. Yes the FRIJ units are set up to use 4x4 MIMO and the FRIEs are DC-HSPA+. So I suspect in order to maintain top performance they wanted to separate the two networks.

Interestingly enough, the LTE signal is much weaker than the 3G signal, so it doesn't appear to be set at a very high TX power at least for now.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Interestingly enough, the LTE signal is much weaker than the 3G signal, so it doesn't appear to be set at a very high TX power at least for now.
    I believe the FRIJ is 2x60W or 4x30W, which may explain the Tx discrepancy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG V20
    Carrier(s)
    WIND/Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes, its Nokia for LTE and Huawei for UMTS. This setup matches their other sites like:

Where UMTS RRU is on top, LTE on bottom.
    I didn't recognize the flat square panel ones as cell antennae as I thought they used the more rounded edge ones, like I posted.
    However today I drove by a site that is newer and noticed the squared rectangle type.
    Perhaps I was seeing robelus antennae at the same site as the freedom antennae, or perhaps they switched in recent years to the squarer type.
    The one site near the grocery store I frequent is easily visible from the ground with the rounder antenna style I posted. I knew it gave me max signal so just assumed that was the antenna feeding me signal.
    Learn something every day

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast