Thread: Transfering current number to BYOD phone

Feedback Score

Transfering current number to BYOD phone

Hello

I have a "supposedly" unlock Samsung Galaxy A5 phone (2 SIM card capability) which I been using overseas. Obviously the phone does not work in USA networks.
    So I bought a Tracfon SIM card from Walmart and and would like to what is best way to transfer my current Tracfone number (Alcatel POP) to BYOD Samsung phone.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    I'm confused.....if the phone won't work in the USA, why are you trying to activate a TracFone BYOP SIM for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_D View Post
    Hello

I have a "supposedly" unlock Samsung Galaxy A5 phone (2 SIM card capability) which I been using overseas. Obviously the phone does not work in USA networks.
    So I bought a Tracfon SIM card from Walmart and and would like to what is best way to transfer my current Tracfone number (Alcatel POP) to BYOD Samsung phone.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    I'm confused.....if the phone won't work in the USA, why are you trying to activate a TracFone BYOP SIM for it?
    Thanks for reply

What I meant was the Samsung does not function in USA with overseas SIM card I had in it. Was going to take the overseas SIM card out and put in Tracfone SIM card.

Thanks

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    You don't have parameters to record. Just have TracFone chat document your current balance, then have them transfer service to the new SIM. Since the pop is CDMA and I presume you are transferring to a GSM AT&T SIM, the transfer could take up to 48 business hours to complete - though it will probably be completed much faster.

Feedback Score
    If the two phones will take the exact same size and carrier of SIM, then all you have to do is move the SIM over. If you have to make an adjustment, then just have Tracfone transfer the account from the Alcatel SIM to the appropriate Walmart SIM.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. I went ahead and activate SIM card with new number.

There were three SIM cards in Walmart kit ([email protected], Verizon, T-Mobile). I used [email protected] since for activation process, they don’t ask for phone’s EMI number. This was a concern since Samsung was bought overseas.

I used online activation and it took less than a minute to activate phone with new SIM card. They assign you a new number. Guess I could always change my phone number (or change it to my current #) by simply getting a new SIM card.

One question though: Would using Verizon or T-Mobile SIM have worked also? I thought Verizon only used CDMA phones.

Thanks