Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about going iPhone, should I get unlocked or through Tmobile?

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Thinking about going iPhone, should I get unlocked or through Tmobile?

Thinking about getting an iPhone 8 plus and going through TMobile to get it. But I've been reading about the different models with Intel and Qualcomm modems.

So I understand getting it unlocked or the Verizon or Sprint Verizon will come with Qualcomm so it can support CDMA. It will give the most network compatibility.

If I got it through Tmobile it loses that compatibility which isn't a huge concern for me. But should I be concerned with radio performance? Possibly battery performance as well? I'd guess the X16 in the CDMA certain would end up being a bit more power efficient vs the Intel modem.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 9700 Bold 2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I have a Verizon 6S Plus and it works great on T-Mobile. Haven’t had any issues.

Feedback Score
    I don't know of any comparisons that have been done for the iPhone8. But here was the results when this issue of different modems was discussed last year for the iPhone7. It may assist in your decision on which 8 to buy:

https://9to5mac.com/2016/10/20/iphon...r-performance/

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Just be aware that none of the current iPhones work on band-71 (a.k.a. 600 MHz). So, depending on where you live, you may find yourself wanting next year's mode.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I would always go with a Qualcomm model over the Intel model. Better reception, better performances, better resale value & larger group to sell to.
    Drexel University 1Gbps Fiber

Verizon 3x Carrier Aggregation @ 90 MHz, Unlimited

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Just be aware that none of the current iPhones work on band-71 (a.k.a. 600 MHz). So, depending on where you live, you may find yourself wanting next year's mode.
    Yeah I'm aware of that. No available phones right now will support band 71. And I don't want the upcoming LG V30. I'm at least a couple years out for my area to see much in band 71 anyway.

Feedback Score
    Based on what happened with the iPhone 7, I’d just get an unlocked one from Apple so it has the CDMA bands should you ever decide to switch to another carrier.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seezar View Post
    Yeah I'm aware of that. No available phones right now will support band 71. And I don't want the upcoming LG V30. I'm at least a couple years out for my area to see much in band 71 anyway.
    Why don't you want the V30? I am researching it and trying to find flaws too.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Why don't you want the V30? I am researching it and trying to find flaws too.
    If I stick with Android I'd get the Pixel XL 2 that Google should be unveiling in a couple days.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    Based on what happened with the iPhone 7, I’d just get an unlocked one from Apple so it has the CDMA bands should you ever decide to switch to another carrier.
    Does apple whitelist these with Sprint & VZW? I heard there's a lot of problems especially getting on a Sprint backbone carrier. And to a lesser extent VZW as well.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude. I fear fascism is here in the US. [fascism: government led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition & criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., & emphasizing an aggressive nationalism & often racism]

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

Feedback Score
    My wife was able to get the iPhone 7 Plus she bought from Sprint unlocked. Like everything with Sprint, it was a little bit of a hassle but after day 45 passed with their “service”, we were able to get it unlocked on day 47 and bring it to T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seezar View Post
    I’m considering a move to T-Mobile but would need to upgrade an old iPhone. In SC it seems that 600 MHz won’t be rolled out till 2019. That still gives me pause with a buying a new iPhone withou Band 71.

Where are you?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Does apple whitelist these with Sprint & VZW? I heard there's a lot of problems especially getting on a Sprint backbone carrier. And to a lesser extent VZW as well.
    Apple says:

“SIM-free” means your iPhone doesn’t ship with a carrier SIM card. The SIM-free iPhone sold on apple.com and at the Apple Store is unlocked. That means you’re free to use a SIM card from any carrier that provides service for iPhone.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-7#00

I'm not really sure what problems you've heard about. But since Apple is the one that says the device will work on any carrier that provides service for iPhone, you should contact Apple if you have problems getting it to work on Verizon or Sprint.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So is the only place to buy an unlocked iPhone directly through Apple?

Feedback Score
    Best Buy for the iPhone 7 models only carried the Qualcomm model which was sold to AT&T and T Mobile customers. The iPhone will lock to the activation carrier unless activated with a Verizon SIM even if you pay the full upfront cost.

Last year in another forum, some one was asking for help since their iPhone 7 bought from Best Buy locked to RingPlus.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast