Thread: Rogers/Bell situation in Manitoba

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

Rogers/Bell situation in Manitoba

During my Sunday night boredom I noticed Bell & Rogers' coverage maps for Manitoba differ slightly. Not sure if this is an error or not (because I was under the impression that both Bell and Rogers are sharing the same towers in Manitoba right now) but if you turn on the HSPA filter for both maps (disable LTE filter on Bell) it appears that Bell's coverage for Manitoba almost looks like Swiss Cheese compared to Rogers (especially in Southern Manitoba).

Does Bell not have access to some Rogers towers now that they used to share?

I'm really surprised that they haven't completely separated the networks in the province yet.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Rogers/Bell situation in Manitoba

Should be the same but I’ll let the more experienced folks chime in and confirm. I don’t think the Rogers coverage map is as accurate as Bell’s (I don’t think Bell’s is accurate either lol). There are locations on the Rogers map that indicate good indoor LTE signal (e.g. certain parts of Windsor Ontario) when in reality, it’s 2G EDGE only. So take what you see on those carrier-owned coverage maps with a grain of salt

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toolcube View Post
    Should be the same but I’ll let the more experienced folks chime in and confirm. I don’t think the Rogers coverage map is as accurate as Bell’s (I don’t think Bell’s is accurate either lol). There are locations on the Rogers map that indicate good indoor LTE signal (e.g. certain parts of Windsor Ontario) when in reality, it’s 2G EDGE only. So take what you see on those carrier-owned coverage maps with a grain of salt
    Yeah the maps are always a bit off. Eastlink's for example is one of the absolute worst coverage maps I've ever seen. 35 different shades of purple that all look the same (which are supposed to identify different network types) and just in general their coverage looks like it was straight up guessed on the map lol

I just thought it was surprising that Bell and Rogers' maps were that much different than each other. I recall before that Bell's map was even a little more filled out than what it is now for Manitoba, but who knows.

Was just curious if any major changes have occurred in the province regarding network separation which I feel will be inevitable soon enough!

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I’m curious too. Didn’t Rogers invest a lot of resources and money in Manitoba? I doubt they’d just give up coverage. They’d be really dumb to do that.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toolcube View Post
    I’m curious too. Didn’t Rogers invest a lot of resources and money in Manitoba? I doubt they’d just give up coverage. They’d be really dumb to do that.
    Rogers partnered with MTS - Rogers built the HSPA (and later LTE) network over their existing footprint, so they now share the coverage footprint. Rogers uses its original native coverage where necessary, and the newly-overland HSPA/LTE coverage from the joint cellsites where it doesn't. The effect is a seamless, much larger network with nearly identical coverage to each other outside the original Rogers footprint, but there are still some differences inside the area where they both provided coverage prior to the network sharing.

Telus has its own native coverage in a small portion of Manitoba, and roams on MTS or Rogers (not sure which) outside. SaskTel roams on Rogers (it's the only place in Canada where a SaskTel can find 2G coverage in fact , short of US signal spilling over the border.)
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, Toggle Mobile (UK/FR/US), GiffGaff (UK)

GSM phones: Too many to list.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    Apparently Rogers is putting in new sites in downtown Winnipeg and a new suburban community, I wonder if these will be shared with BellusMTS.

Feedback Score
    Rogers LTE-A currently being tested in Winnipeg. Some customers reporting seeing LTE-A on their phones in the downtown area.