Phone
    iPhone 3G
    Feedback Score

iPad - How Read PDF files On USB Memory Device?

I am leaving for a major trip and really want to finally wean myself from my laptop (MS Surface Pro) and leave it home. I just want to use my iPad for everything. While away I must have the ability to access about 55 Gb of PDF files. In spite of Apples advertising last year that the iPad is a real computer, I cannot find a way to use a USB memory device or external solid state hard drive. I did find an article that said it can be done by jail breaking the iPad but this article was a few years old. It also has been a large number of years since I had an interest in Jail breaking so I do not know if this can still be done and, if so, will it accomplish what I want. Also, how is it done? I did regularly jail break my phone many years ago but I have long since forgot what I did.

Any help would be appreciated because my wife and I are trying to travel as light as possible and it is both frustrating me and pissing me off that I have to also carry the MS Surface Pro which is much heaver than my Mini.

Carrier
    Tracfone, Net10
    Feedback Score
    Try searching for "lightning flash drive" on Amazon. Each brand has a special app needed to access files on the flash drive from ios.

For example - https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-iXpan...ng+flash+drive

I hope the 3 AM version of my brain understood what you're looking for well enough to be useful.

Phone
    iPhone 3G
    Feedback Score
    Seems the 3 AM version of your brain is working fine. Thanks for a good suggestion. It will definitely work for photos and videos but I could not find a good reference to see if it will work with PDF files. I will call SanDisk and ask them.

It really angers me that the obvious function of using an external USB SSD or memory stick is crippled. This reduces what could be a very capable machine to just a very expensive Kindle reader and web browser. I have to believe this function is has been intentionally disabled. I certainly like the Apple products and do not want to switch to an Android device but things like this are getting me very close to making that jump for my next device. Thank you for letting me vent.

Phone
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You could also get a WiFi enabled flash drive and use that. SanDisk makes several models.

Feedback Score
    Any chance you could just access the files you need via the cloud and download them periodically rather than carrying them all with you?

Phone
    iPhone 3G
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten Four View Post
    "Any chance you could just access the files you need via the cloud..."
    That would indeed work but I keep the files on an encrypted drive so it is not likely they can be compromised, even if I loose the drive. I think one has to be insane to trust the security of a cloud storage medium. I would much rather put my trust in hardware encryption and a strong password that is available in devices such as the Kingston DataTraveler Locker and Samsung SSDs. Considering how frequently large businesses, like Equifax most recently, are compromised why would anyone trust sensitive business and personal data to someone else?

Phone
    Apple iPhone 6S Plus Apple iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    When one carries around a device with sensitive files, one runs the risk of losing the device with all the files even if they are inaccessible to the thief. With cloud storage, one only has to upload the files need during the trip.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phone
    BB 8320
    Carrier
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
    I am leaving for a major trip and really want to finally wean myself from my laptop (MS Surface Pro) and leave it home. I just want to use my iPad for everything.
    I travel a fair amount for work, both domestic and abroad. My favorite item in my bag of tricks:

HooToo Tripmate TM-06

Its a plug in (multivolt so all you need is a plug adapter if abroad) wired or wireless router with NAS support on one of the *two* USB ports.

I typically leave it in my hotel room as my USB charger and it is plugged into the hotel wired access (if the hotel still has wired access) as my WiFi to it is encrypted rather than in the clear like most any hotel wifi service, but it sounds like you may need to have USB access with you on the go - that is fine too as this puppy will run on its own battery for 12 hours or so as a NAS for your USB media. Heck plug in an external harddrive if you like.

Best $40 I ever spent on a travel gadget. For a plug in 6000 mAh battery bank alone its almost a deal, add the router and NAS support and its a steal.