Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What advantage does Consumer Cellular have over other AT&T MVNOs?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    CC also does not have wifi calling, a feature which is terrific if you are inside with borderline service or no cell service at all. It just works. Consumer Cellular doesn't have it at all. Cricket does have it. I find I use the wifi calling a lot.
    Having looked into signal strength locally further, I believe that VoLTE may account for the differences I see. Selectel, which I'm on, does not have that (or Wi-Fi calling either, which would aid with calls inside my office).

I was all set to go with PureTalk, but its lack of HD Voice and Wi-Fi calling may be a deal breaker for me. Consumer Cellular has HD Voice, and Cricket has HD Voice and Wi-Fi, but Cricket only for select phones and evidently not iPhone.
    Last edited by Broadus; 10-05-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Device(s)
    Lumia 640
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone, T-Mobile Prepaid, Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    I assume that CC is grandfathering you in with the old $10 per-extra-line charge, which they recently raised by 50%. If I were to sign up for two CC lines with 3GB and 250 minutes shared it would cost about $61, without the 5% AARP discount.

And of course on Cricket you'd have had unlimited talk and text per line, not just 250 minutes to share.

If CC had had the 10GB data plan six months ago then I would have stayed with them rather than switching to Cricket, since for four of us they didn't have a large enough data plan. If they had retained the $10 per additional line charge then I would probably have switched back to them, but with their increased per line charge I would not go back.
    You are correct on all three counts, but that is my point. For our low usage pattern, 250 minutes is more than enough, and actually we don't usually go over 1.5 GB. Your usage is higher and CC won't be the best.

To repeat, for some low use circumstances it can be cheaper, but won't be best for higher use, multiple line needs, especially since the per line rate is up to $15.
    Trying to come up with some sort of signature line...

Device(s)
    Lumia 640
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    CC also does not have wifi calling, a feature which is terrific if you are inside with borderline service or no cell service at all. It just works. Consumer Cellular doesn't have it at all. Cricket does have it. I find I use the wifi calling a lot.
    CC has wifi calling on the T-Mo side but not ATT, FYI.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D. View Post
    CC has wifi calling on the T-Mo side but not ATT, FYI.
    AT&T must be really restrictive with their MVNOs. The Wi-Fi calling and HD Voice on Cricket is limited, according to what I've read on the Cricket site, to a few phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
    AT&T must be really restrictive with their MVNOs. The Wi-Fi calling and HD Voice on Cricket is limited, according to what I've read on the Cricket site, to a few phones.
    When I need to make calls from a place with no cell signal I use Google Voice either on a phone or iPad (looks pretty silly but my iPad is on Verizon and it works in more places than my Cricket phones. However I can't receive calls on my regular phone number via Wi-Fi so I'd have to leave a voice mail message that says to try my Google Voice number.

Wish that Verizon would do a Cricket-like service but it would probably hurt their postpaid subscriptions too much,

Feedback Score
    You are correct on all three counts, but that is my point. For our low usage pattern, 250 minutes is more than enough, and actually we don't usually go over 1.5 GB. Your usage is higher and CC won't be the best.

To repeat, for some low use circumstances it can be cheaper, but won't be best for higher use, multiple line needs, especially since the per line rate is up to $15.
    The 4GB plan they had was just a couple of GB short when I left. The problem was that when you went over they just didn't charge you per MB, I was fine with that, they also throttled you to very slow speeds.

Too bad they took so long with their 10GB data plan. I thought that they should have offered data plans that scaled up with the number of lines. I think AT&T was limiting them somehow.

I do miss tethering on occasion. Yesterday I was all set to do a presentation and I realized, oh darn I used Google Docs and it's on the cloud and I can't get it. I lucked into some Xfinitiy Wi-Fi from a nearby apartment building.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    There is no perfect scenario, but it seems Consumer Cellular will work as well as anything else for my wife and me. We're usually on Wi-Fi and don't need a great deal of data, so I signed up with CC this morning with our two lines sharing 3GB data. Locally, friends have been very pleased with CC's signal strength and voice quality. The SIM cards are to be in next week, so we'll see how it goes.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wish that Verizon would do a Cricket-like service but it would probably hurt their postpaid subscriptions too much,
    What is wrong with Verizon Prepaid? More like what used to be called GoPhone.
    I now have the 7+, continuing my pattern of buying every other iPhone generation.

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score

My bill stayed at $10 per line. Either they are grandfathering, or more lines get a volume discount of sorts.

Device(s)
    Lumia 640
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gweeper View Post
    My bill stayed at $10 per line. Either they are grandfathering, or more lines get a volume discount of sorts.
    Yes, they grandfathered existing $10 lines. My comment referred to new subscribers.

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I think you will be happy. Sure, you could probably find something a little cheaper, but service is reliable and customer service is excellent. The CC app and website for account management are excellent too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gweeper View Post
    I think you will be happy. Sure, you could probably find something a little cheaper, but service is reliable and customer service is excellent. The CC app and website for account management are excellent too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using HoFo mobile app
    I think you’re right. I’m not up to chasing the best deals, although price is a large part of the equation. Friends are very pleased with CC and they have a good track record. Our SIMs are scheduled to arrive in a couple of days.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
    I think you’re right. I’m not up to chasing the best deals, although price is a large part of the equation. Friends are very pleased with CC and they have a good track record. Our SIMs are scheduled to arrive in a couple of days.
    Their support tends to be much better than other MVNOs.

One thing I found annoying though was the lack of any way to get a straight answer on roaming, both domestically and internationally.

Which of the following is true?

https://www.consumercellular.com/blo...ional-roaming/
    "Our customers also don’t have a roaming problem. They are never charged a roaming fee for domestic U.S. usage, and that includes Alaska and Hawaii. And their Consumer Cellular phone will not work beyond the U.S. borders, thus protecting them from any outrageous international roaming fees, which are mostly unregulated and can vary widely."

https://www.consumercellular.com/hel...-rates/roaming
    Calling from outside the U.S.
    You can use your Consumer Cellular service when traveling outside the U.S. by enabling international roaming. The countries where our service can be used are listed below. Verify that the country you are traveling to is listed.

I think it is the latter, but try to get a straight answer! And they don't have any information on how much international roaming costs. I suspect that they're charging the AT&T rate, but who knows? Still, since their target market of seniors tend to do a lot of leisure international traveling, it's a good thing that they now offer international roaming. Personally I thought that instead they should have resold some international prepaid SIM cards.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score

Verizon now offers a Prepaid family line discount.

It’s never going to match Cricket and it might be too expensive for you but it can’t hurt to take a look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Their support tends to be much better than other MVNOs.
    I had to call CC customer support three times in order to complete our ports. The issue was primarily on Selectel's end, with their port facilitator finally pushing it through. Selectel customer support was helpful, and CC's was also. Each call to CC produced a friendly and helpful result. Back when we were with PagePlus, the customer service wasn't as stellar--not bad, but not particularly good

And my problem with receiving calls in my office is hopefully resolved. I had no problems receiving calls yesterday, never having to go outside. So far so good.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast