Thread: Have you ever tried a cell phone signal booster?

Feedback Score

Have you ever tried a cell phone signal booster?

Sorry, I'm not writing much in forums, so maybe i missed the topic.
    Can't get enough signal on T-Mobile, so I'm considering buying a cell phone booster. Can anybody share the experience of using one?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T & Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you have a home internet connection, I would try the T-Mobile 4G LTE CellSpot Mini Tower. If you don’t have a home internet connection, I’d try the 4G LTE CellSpot Signal Booster.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Yeah the mini tower was the better choice for me with the home internet. I've used both and the booster seemed to have a lot of issues at least for me

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Oleir View Post
    Can't get enough signal on T-Mobile, so I'm considering buying a cell phone booster. Can anybody share the experience of using one?
    I used the Personal CellSpot 4G LTE signal booster at my house. Put the window unit upstairs and was able to get LTE signal on the first floor and basement. Worked great. It made T-Mobile an option or us. Without it, signal was too unreliable to put up with.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have but don't need a T-Mobile Personal CellSpot that acts like a typical T-Mobile Cell tower by connects to my Comcast/Xfinity Internet. Only problem is Comcast is always having internet outages so I have to unplug my Personal CellSpot 4G since it is still locked on the Personal CellSpot spectrum with no internet. T-Mobile has about 3 to 4 bars depending where I am in at my house without the Personal CellSpot. So I leave the Personal CellSpot 4G unplugged a lot since Comcast internet is so bad. The main reason I like the Personal CellSpot when the internet is working is it gives me full bars of signal and my battery doesn't discharge as much when I am not using my phone.

Device(s)
    Pixel
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'll throw in a data point for the "Cellspot signal booster". Also known as T-Mobile's branded version of the CelFi RS3 signal booster.

Setup isn't terribly hard once you find a spot where the window unit can grab 2-3 bars of LTE. Finding that spot was a pain in my 1-story brick house, nestled deep in suburbia, surrounded by more 1-2 story brick houses, square(triangle?)-between 3 towers. Our phones are indeed band 12, and while the signal is fine for data, b12 VoLTE calls kept dropping if one moved through the house

I chose the booster over the "Cellspot personal tower" (femtocell) for a few reasons: Inability to control who is on the femtocell, past headaches with VoIP calling that I care not to repeat (see quote below for an almost identical story to mine), among other reasons.

TL;DR: Both the booster and the femtocell have their ideal uses. If you can grab a good signal from outside the house, don't mind the setup work, and have a smaller-ish house (more square than rectangle), the booster would be fine. If you have nice, stable internet and don't mind that anyone can connect to the femtocell and use it, then the mini tower will work for you.

Why I prefer the booster vs. femtocell. I had similar dealings with Comcast and VoIP applications:
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    I have but don't need a T-Mobile Personal CellSpot that acts like a typical T-Mobile Cell tower by connects to my Comcast/Xfinity Internet. Only problem is Comcast is always having internet outages so I have to unplug my Personal CellSpot 4G since it is still locked on the Personal CellSpot spectrum with no internet. T-Mobile has about 3 to 4 bars depending where I am in at my house without the Personal CellSpot 4G. So I leave the Personal CellSpot 4G unplugged a lot since Comcast internet is so bad.
    Last edited by ac21365; 10-03-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The booster you would have to register with T-Mobile to use... Not like get a SIM Card just let T-Mobile know you will use one...

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

Have you ever tried a cell phone signal booster?

The repeater type booster T-mo offers for free work great if you’re in an area where you get signal outside but not inside. I don’t believe they work on Band 12 though.

I use the WeBoost 4G-X in one of my vehicles and it does make a difference. I originally got it when I had Verizon because their signal was so bad and it made a difference with them as well as with my ATT work phone. On average, it’ll give you 1-2 bars of boost, or to put it a different way, it can boost a signal of -120 to about -90.

With the WeBoost though, you’ll have to have the phone right next to the little transmitting bar for it to really work well. They also make a cradle version.

Device(s)
    Pixel
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    The repeater type booster T-mo offers for free work great if you’re in an area where you get signal outside but not inside. I don’t believe they work on Band 12 though.
    Correct. T-Mobile's signal booster is band 2 & 4, LTE & WCDMA only.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I had the same problem with T-Mobile a year ago. My 4G net was awful almost always, besides sometimes I got call drops. I talked with guys from their service center many times, however that was useless because they found that my problem was not with their network but the cellular tower which is sadly located too far from my house I suppose that you have the same problem and yeah, a signal booster can be a nice solution in this case, the guys from T-Mobile recommended me to buy the one too
    I can recommend such type of signal boosters https://www.myamplifiers.com/4g-lte-booster/, in my case after buiyng and installing one the problem was solved
    You can try also a femtocell as an alternative https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femtocell but these devices are strongly connected with your local home network and I'm not sure how effective they are.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I tried a zBoost similar to this one and found it to be a waste of money. Maybe I set up something wrong but I couldn't get it to produce any signal in the cabin with the antenna about 10' above th roof, where my phone could get a signal.
    Donald Newcomb