Thread: Trouble transferring large amount of files to Micro SD

Feedback Score

Trouble transferring large amount of files to Micro SD

I just bought an LG G5 and a 128 gig SD card to have my entire music library (90 gigs) with me.

The (mostly) mp3 files, around 17000 of them, are on my external storage and I used my laptop to transfer them to my phone.

Transferring to the card through the phone resulted in a lot of Windows 7 warning messages that some files won't play and after leaving it over night it did not work, lots of files could not play.

I got Teracopy to have more control over the transfer but it doesn't work through the phone because of MTP/PTP (I have no idea what this means). I took the card out and put it in my laptop directly. The card was corrupted and needed to formatted. Teracopy managed to copy the entire library over but then not all files would play on the phone and some of the file folders (default android folders) would not open.

Are there any tricks for this to work? I'm thinking of using doubletwist to sync libraries but I have two separate libraries (I use itunes to manage my DJ library on this laptop and would rather not have to add my massive listening library) and would rather avoid this option.

Feedback Score
    I would first download a copy of the h2testw program to your PC and use it to confirm the microSD is defect free. You can Google for h2testw.

I would then reformat the micro SD card while it's in the phone, then put it back in the laptop, then copy all the music files to it again.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I googled h2testw and found a site that told me to try ChipGenius and FakeFlashTest. Both of those couldn't locate the drive. Currently running H2 but it says it'll take 5 hours to complete.

It's a very well-reviewed card on amazon but not exactly name-brand... I guess it might be crap. I'll look into getting something like a Sandisk... I'm guessing people don't run into these problems if they buy a brand name card?

Feedback Score
    I would wait for the results of h2testw before buying another card. Then if it's fine, follow the rest of my suggestion.

Would you mind posting a link to the card you did purchase.

I'm partial to Samsung microSD cards and buy them from Amazon. I now run h2testw on all my microSD cards upon receiving them before trying to use them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by polish_jr III View Post
    Thanks, I googled h2testw and found a site that told me to try ChipGenius and FakeFlashTest. Both of those couldn't locate the drive. Currently running H2 but it says it'll take 5 hours to complete.

It's a very well-reviewed card on amazon but not exactly name-brand... I guess it might be crap. I'll look into getting something like a Sandisk... I'm guessing people don't run into these problems if they buy a brand name card?
    I have had Sandisk and Polaroid microSD cards go bad in use in phones. These were bought off the peg in Best Buy and Walmart in sealed blister packs. I assume they were not counterfeit.

Transferring that much data I would want a (write-speed) class 10 SD.

CLASS 2 - a guaranteed minimum write speed of 2MB/s or higher
    CLASS 4 - a guaranteed minimum write speed of 4MB/s or higher
    CLASS 6 - a guaranteed minimum write speed of 6MB/s or higher
    CLASS 10 - a guaranteed minimum write speed of 10MB/s or higher

My experience has been that microSD is not sufficiently reliable for archival storage.

Feedback Score
    I don't think you can buy a reputable 128GB microSD that's not class 10.

I have not had any problems with my Samsung microSD cards which I have been using in multiple phones for years. I have other brands too and won't buy cheap stuff or from eBay. I don't buy the premium fastest most expensive cards either - don't need them for phone use.

No matter where it's bought, I wouldn't use it until running h2testw on it first. I don't want to worry about if it's fake or defective.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I have had Sandisk and Polaroid microSD cards go bad in use in phones. These were bought off the peg in Best Buy and Walmart in sealed blister packs. I assume they were not counterfeit.

Transferring that much data I would want a (write-speed) class 10 SD.

CLASS 2 - a guaranteed minimum write speed of 2MB/s or higher
    CLASS 4 - a guaranteed minimum write speed of 4MB/s or higher
    CLASS 6 - a guaranteed minimum write speed of 6MB/s or higher
    CLASS 10 - a guaranteed minimum write speed of 10MB/s or higher

My experience has been that microSD is not sufficiently reliable for archival storage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    I would wait for the results of h2testw before buying another card. Then if it's fine, follow the rest of my suggestion.

Would you mind posting a link to the card you did purchase.

I'm partial to Samsung microSD cards and buy them from Amazon. I now run h2testw on all my microSD cards upon receiving them before trying to use them.
    Looks like you might be on to something.

From h2testw (still running but already says):

Warning: Only 127980 of 127983 MByte tested.
    The media is likely to be defective.
    14.7 GByte OK (31017216 sectors)
    8.9 GByte DATA LOST (18802432 sectors)
    Details:8.9 GByte overwritten (18802432 sectors)
    0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
    0 KByte corrupted (0 sectors)
    0.5 KByte aliased memory (1 sector)
    First error at offset: 0x00000003b2920000
    Expected: 0x00000003b2920000
    Found: 0x00000003b291c000
    H2testw version 1.3

Sigh... this is kind of embarrassing. I scoured amazon to find a well rated card that isn't too expensive. Thought I found it: it looks shady but the reviews were good: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...f_rd_i=desktop

Oh well, guess I'm returning it and going for something name-brand. Samsung, as you recommend is 75 bucks. This Sandisk is pretty affordable and 4.5 stars with 3300 reviews! I think I'll go for that. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...d_i=7204549011

Feedback Score
    polish_jr III,
    I've never heard of Kingflash

Well now you know and have learned something. Spread the word to your friends and family so it doesn't happen to them.

I would suggest you buy only from Amazon itself and not a 3rd party seller which could be selling fake stuff.

I hope you can get a refund on the junk card.

Test whatever you buy with h2testw upon receipt. It's worth the time and effort to know it's good before you use it.

Feedback Score
    Look at the 1* ratings on the Kingflash - same data loss problem you have.

Feedback Score
    I would recommend this Samsung for $45 sold by Amazon itself:
    Samsung 128GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSD EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME128GA/AM) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XWZWYVP/

Device(s)
    Alcatel Idol 4S Windows 10
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by polish_jr III View Post
    Looks like you might be on to something.

From h2testw (still running but already says):

Warning: Only 127980 of 127983 MByte tested.
    The media is likely to be defective.
    14.7 GByte OK (31017216 sectors)
    8.9 GByte DATA LOST (18802432 sectors)
    Details:8.9 GByte overwritten (18802432 sectors)
    0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
    0 KByte corrupted (0 sectors)
    0.5 KByte aliased memory (1 sector)
    First error at offset: 0x00000003b2920000
    Expected: 0x00000003b2920000
    Found: 0x00000003b291c000
    H2testw version 1.3

Sigh... this is kind of embarrassing. I scoured amazon to find a well rated card that isn't too expensive. Thought I found it: it looks shady but the reviews were good: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...f_rd_i=desktop

Oh well, guess I'm returning it and going for something name-brand. Samsung, as you recommend is 75 bucks. This Sandisk is pretty affordable and 4.5 stars with 3300 reviews! I think I'll go for that. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...d_i=7204549011
    The number of fake SD cards being sold these days is alarming. Especially among no name vendors. The scam is to incorrectly have the low volume cards reports themselves as having greater capacity. They will work great for the first 8GB or so (whatever they actually are) but once that is exceeded either they work unbelievably slow trying to copy files and ultimately fail. Send the card back.

I have had decent luck with Samsung cards, PNY cards and SanDisk. For 128 GB, class 10 the cost should be in the mid $40 dollar range or so.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Duos
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Try this card, I have one and it's awesome. SanDisk Ultra 200GB microSDXC UHS-I card with Adapter -*100MB/s U1 A1 - SDSQUAR-200G-GN6MA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073JY5T7T..._8ar1zb0Z53QDV

Sent from my SM-T807T using HoFo mobile app