Thread: Call Quality

Feedback Score

Call Quality

Let me preface this post by stating that I realize call quality is a subject topic. With that out of the way I wanted to ask about the perceived call quality other users have with the following conditions:

1. Coming from iPhone 7 Plus on Verizon and T-Mobile
    2. Coming from T-Mobile and Verizon to AT&T
    3. Call Quality as it relates to VoLTE on all carriers

I recently switched from Verizon to T-Mobile to AT&T. My Call Quality rankings would be T-Mobile to Verizon to AT&T in order of best to worse. All these calls are made on VoLTE. Now that I am using a Galaxy Note 8 on AT&T in Phoenix, it seems my Call Quality has been reduced since I started service with them 2 months ago.

People I call tell me more frequently (than when on T-Mobile and Verizon) that they cannot hear me clearly and sound broken up, and my perceived quality of them on the other end is also not that great. There is a noticeable difference in quality since coming from T-Mobile and Verizon on the iPhone 7 Plus where calls on VoLTE were about as good as I have ever heard (on par with VoIP calls from Skype, etc.).

Since I have switched to AT&T I have traveled across the country and have always had a good LTE signal with great speeds. However, call quality has left a lot to be desired. I have also noticed when I do call my father who is also on AT&T the call is crystal clear, but this is not always consistently clear, meaning it varies from call-to-call.

In conclusion, I am hesitant to leave because the consistent speeds, LTE availability (even deep in Muir Woods National Forest for those of you who know where that is), and promotion with DirecTV. What are you experiencing and can you add anything to the discussion?

Regards,

GSM.6 (Michael)

p.s. Long time HowardForums reader, first time posting; these forums are awesome!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s plus, Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint :(, Verizon 2009-2015, US Cellular 2006-2008
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSM.6 View Post
    Let me preface this post by stating that I realize call quality is a subject topic. With that out of the way I wanted to ask about the perceived call quality other users have with the following conditions:

1. Coming from iPhone 7 Plus on Verizon and T-Mobile
    2. Coming from T-Mobile and Verizon to AT&T
    3. Call Quality as it relates to VoLTE on all carriers

I recently switched from Verizon to T-Mobile to AT&T. My Call Quality rankings would be T-Mobile to Verizon to AT&T in order of best to worse. All these calls are made on VoLTE. Now that I am using a Galaxy Note 8 on AT&T in Phoenix, it seems my Call Quality has been reduced since I started service with them 2 months ago.

People I call tell me more frequently (than when on T-Mobile and Verizon) that they cannot hear me clearly and sound broken up, and my perceived quality of them on the other end is also not that great. There is a noticeable difference in quality since coming from T-Mobile and Verizon on the iPhone 7 Plus where calls on VoLTE were about as good as I have ever heard (on par with VoIP calls from Skype, etc.).

Since I have switched to AT&T I have traveled across the country and have always had a good LTE signal with great speeds. However, call quality has left a lot to be desired. I have also noticed when I do call my father who is also on AT&T the call is crystal clear, but this is not always consistently clear, meaning it varies from call-to-call.

In conclusion, I am hesitant to leave because the consistent speeds, LTE availability (even deep in Muir Woods National Forest for those of you who know where that is), and promotion with DirecTV. What are you experiencing and can you add anything to the discussion?

Regards,

GSM.6 (Michael)

p.s. Long time HowardForums reader, first time posting; these forums are awesome!
    Ah the old call quality conundrum. Lol. Well I'll start by giving you my experience. Call quality on Verizon with a iPhone 6s plus was pretty good. Then we moved to Sprint. Call quality there was almost as good on 3G was almost at good a Verizons VoLTE, this was with both a iPhone 6s plus and a note 5. So we come over to ATT a year ago and call quality isn't as good as on Verizon but comparable to Sprint. Now I have moved from a iPhone 7 plus on ATT to a note 8 and unexpectedly got better call quality.

I don't have any experience with TMobile sadly. But I will say that I have had a few SUPER clear calls with ATT to Verizon users. I don't think I've made to many calls to ATT users except for the wife and when I call her it's pretty good unless she is in the car or on her apple watch. I can't understand why anyone would want to patch a call in through a cars Bluetooth. That sounds like total crap. Same for the apple watch.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Call Quality

iPhone 7 Plus here, tested on all carriers except sprint (used a nexus 6p for that)

Call quality ATT/VZW with T-Mobile being the worse with the iPhone.. there is also some sort of static noise on T-Mobile calls across 5 different model iPhones I’ve noticed as well. I did use an Android with T-Mobile once and it seemed OK.

Most of the people I know are on ATT and as long as they are on LTE and using a phone that supports hdvoice every call is crystal clear.

Whenever I test out Verizon, the calls between them and att it’s hit or miss whether you will have an hd voice call or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the quick responses... I know this is a heavily subjective topic. However, I wonder if what I may be experiencing is a hand-off to 4G for voice on AT&T. What are your thoughts on that? Does AT&T do this? If so, then how would I know? I presume that my calls are VoLTE because I am in a strong LTE area.

Feedback Score
    Do you have Noise Suppression & Voice Clarity selected?
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Do you have Noise Suppression & Voice Clarity selected?
    I just searched my Note 8 and do not see that setting...

Feedback Score
    Don't have a Note 8 but found this on a Note Edge maybe this'll work.

Call Sound Settings - Samsung Galaxy Note Edge
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-205428/
    Whole bunch of call settings.

Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O (AT&T), Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    People I call tell me more frequently (than when on T-Mobile and Verizon) that they cannot hear me clearly and sound broken up, and my perceived quality of them on the other end is also not that great. always consistently clear, meaning it varies from call-to-call.
    Yep, the same reason I dumped Verizon. I tried VoLTE on various phones & it was too unreliable. Never realized how awful 1x sounded till I switched to AT&T. No need for VoLTE anymore as UMTS comes close to landline call fidelity.

I do wish VoLTE worked better for me, but gave up after many attempts. Hoping it will get better in the future. . . . . .

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, Cricket LG Risio 2(x2)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I can say that on Sprint I recently tried the service and call quality for me was really bad, AT&T is good since 4G seems to be clear calling at night but T-Mobile seems to be the best in my area.
    Home Entertainment: Comcast Blast Pro 200mbps internet(Xfinity XB3 Arris TG1682G 24x8 Docsis 3.0 modem, IPv6 enabled), Xfinity Digital Preferred TV(Tivo Bolt(Main DVR)/Tivo Mini(Bedroom), Xfinity Voice EMTA XB3 with Voice Unlimited.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    All these calls are made on VoLTE. Now that I am using a Galaxy Note 8 on AT&T in Phoenix, it seems my Call Quality has been reduced since I started service with them 2 months ago.

I'd suggest turning off VolTE.

As other's have said, 4G sounds pretty good (better than 1X) and it's generally more reliable now anyways. VoLTE can sound really good, but I know in weaker signal environments it tends to break up badly. It sounds like 1X at -120db or something. I am not sure why at&t's network doesn't see the packet loss and switch to 4G as well as it used to. I had to turn it off my mother's line as parts of her house seem to have slow uploads on LTE, while 4G is solid throughout.
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    Let's keep in mind that HD Voice (not necessarily VoLTE on it's own) across AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile should theoretically be the same; it's the same codec, AMR-WB 12.65kbps. The only thing that would vary would be how the network transmits that data, as QoS, network equipment, backhaul, etc. all come in to play.

That being said, with all of the markets I've been in (SWVA/NETN, Raleigh NC, Atlanta GA, many parts of FL), unless there was an issue with signal quality/levels (read, at the edge of a cell or in fringe coverage environments), I've not experienced poor audio quality. When calling someone that is on an interconnected carrier (example, Verizon and AT&T are interconnected now), and VoLTE is enabled on both ends, it sounds just as good as calling someone on the same carrier as me (AT&T). Absolutely no difference in quality.

However, when speaking to someone who ultimately doesn't have an end-to-end SIP connection with me (read, VoLTE isn't interconnected), audio quality is landline quality, as the codec switches back to AMR-NB (usually 12.2kbps for me) and transcoding occurs.

I've spoken to people on Sprint from my AT&T line, and transcoding sounds just about as bad as Verizon's 1x voice quality, which is terrible but passable.

In short, though, find what works for you. If AT&T's voice network really bugs you, switch to another carrier if it's a big enough deal.

Also, disabling VoLTE will only help if the LTE network in your area is experiencing problems, which I'd suggest submitting a MTS for anyway. Disabling VoLTE will most likely make you hate AT&T's voice network more, as you wouldn't be experiencing HD voice with those you potentially enjoy it with now.
    Quote Originally Posted by WishIWasHer View Post
    CSD was rarely used, and was before they started referring to cell phone technology in G's. This G stuff really started with 3G coverage and its because the 2nd iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. That's where cell phone tech got the G's from. The G stands for Gigs and the number is the number of Gigs the signal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Oh boy....
    Quote Originally Posted by AttData View Post
    My thoughts exactly...