Thread: About to switch to tmo. Veriozon vs tmo iphone 8+ for better reception?

Feedback Score

About to switch to tmo. Veriozon vs tmo iphone 8+ for better reception?

Hi everyone,

I am about to switch my 6 line family plan from Verizon to TMO and having real trouble deciding what to do. I can pay for 8+ outright, but I am thinking about doing a payment plan, so that I could upgrade to new Iphone next year that supports 600 band. Only thing I am concerned about is reception with current Iphone, especially in buildings. Would Veriozon phone with Qualcomm chip be significantly better than TMO phone with Intel? Does anyone have real world experience? I am in LA and rarely go anywhere rural if it helps. TIA!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    Before switching you should test one line on prepay. There are stories of people regretting the switch. I tried months ago on iPhone 7 and had low or no signal in LA in buildings and certain hwy.
    Get $25 credit by switching to Cricket Wireless! Then $250 by referring others! Same AT&T signal! Click here!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Before switching you should test one line on prepay. There are stories of people regretting the switch. I tried months ago on iPhone 7 and had low or no signal in LA in buildings and certain hwy.
    There are also stories about issues with cricket.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Are you saying that you currently have several Verizon iPhone 8+ and you could pay them off and BYOD them to T-Mobile? If you make the plunge this is probably the best idea. Even if you later decide to upgrade, you can sell those phones and offset quite a bit of the cost of the new ones.

I do agree with @blacksurfer. Bringing that many lines over, it would be a real pain if you decided T-Mobile didn't work for you and needed to switch back. It would be triple painful if you had traded your current phones in and had to get yet more Verizon phones. For sure I'd get a prepaid line and test it for 30 days.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    I agree with you...OP, you should try their service first before going all in. Six lines is quite a few. I tried T-Mo back in May and it didn't work for me.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    OP: You are not going to get better or worse indoor reception (just because you are switching to T-Mobile).

It's really hard to give you a definite answer without you listing all the buildings you ever go into or plan to go into. Plus none of us have used the Intel variant of the iPhone X.thei

I can say with confidence that T-Mobile is generally tied with Verizon or a close 2nd to Verizon in LTE data performance throughout LA. Parts of LA they are even better than Verizon and AT&T.

Indoor reception will vary. I can tell you that coming from AT&T my experience throughout SoCal has actually been better with T-Mobile as a whole. There are areas particularly north and east of LA throughout the San Gabriel and San Bernardino mountains where service is non existent. This should change within the next 2.5 years but won't apply to iPhone X since it lacks 600 MHz capability as you've mentioned.

The good news for us flat landers in SoCal is that T-Mobile is continuing to expand their small cell deployment, adding Band 12 700 MHz and Band 2 PCS LTE. This will continue to give us better reception indoors and better data capacity for areas currently experiencing congestion.

I live in the burbs east of the LA area and I choose to use T-Mobile... on purpose. It has nothing to do with the fact that they are (were) cheaper than Verizon but has everything to do with the great network experience I've had.

If you can give us specifics perhaps some locals can chime in with more details. Good luck.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    I would just buy the Verizon 8+ because it has the Qualcomm chipset.

The Intel chipset is not going to have a CDMA radio (and is actually not as good for LTE for technical reasons)

Apple honestly just needs to stick with using Qualcomm radios, but i'm sure using the Intel for half of them just made it three cents cheaper or something.
    Left: T-Mobile Unlimited LTE, Right: TWC/Spectrum "ultra" (I want Wide Open West back!)

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Apple honestly just needs to stick with using Qualcomm radios, but i'm sure using the Intel for half of them just made it three cents cheaper or something.
    This was an interesting read on the whole Apple vs Qualcomm debacle, even though it may have been written with a bit of Apple fanboyism it really explained to me why Apple isn't wanting to use the Qualcomm modems.

https://www.imore.com/qualcomm-shoul...hange-qualcomm

Oh BTW my Wife and Son have intel based 7 and 7 plus and I have a Qualcomm based 7 plus and real world use you cannot tell the difference in my area.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I was curious if there was any anecdotal info since the back is glass does it provide better reception.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bolthead View Post
    This was an interesting read on the whole Apple vs Qualcomm debacle, even though it may have been written with a bit of Apple fanboyism it really explained to me why Apple isn't wanting to use the Qualcomm modems.

https://www.imore.com/qualcomm-shoul...hange-qualcomm

Oh BTW my Wife and Son have intel based 7 and 7 plus and I have a Qualcomm based 7 plus and real world use you cannot tell the difference in my area.
    There have been studies released showing the inferiority of the Intel chipset vs Qualcomm and we were able to replicate these tests on T-Mobile in Phoenix and Chicago.

https://www.cultofmac.com/450212/iph...-thanks-intel/

So i do firmly believe there's a difference, and refuse to buy anything with an Intel radio in it (especially after my Motorola cable modem - using an Intel chipset has been downplayed for issues "Puma6")

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Still the main benefit for the qualcomm model is usability on Verizon/Sprint/USCC if you decide to change carriers in the future. Or want to hand down used phone to someone on those carriers (or prepaid MVNO using them).
    I gave into temptation, and bought the iPhone X, even though I had a perfectly good, though oversized, 7+.