Thread: E. of Mississippi River of coverage diff. among AT&T MVNOs with and without roaming?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score

E. of Mississippi River of coverage diff. among AT&T MVNOs with and without roaming?

GSM (AT&T) MVNO coverage maps with roaming (reputedly Consumer Cellular) and without (such as PureTalk and Cricket) look practically the same in the U.S. east of the Mississippi River. Is this accurate?

I realize that voice roaming in the western states is significant, but what about in the eastern states? Would one notice any voice difference (coverage or quality) between, say, PureTalk and Cricket on one hand and Consumer Cellular on the other?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The AT&T maps show a few 3rd party (roaming) coverage areas, such as certain parts of Wisconsin, Maine, and New Hampshire. PureTalk and Cricket would not be expected to have standard service in those limited 3rd party areas. Personally I'm not aware of AT&T using roaming outside the 3rd party areas, or within their native coverage areas, but I've never traveled the area you're asking about. The next possible difference in voice service would be if one service provider had access to features like HD Voice or Wi-Fi calling. Cricket does have HD Voice and Wi-Fi calling, but there are currently a number of limitations on HD Voice, such as it being restricted to just a few Android phones at this time.

While there are some other possible differences in AT&T service, in terms of voice coverage and quality, access to 3rd party (roaming) coverage and features like HD Voice and Wi-Fi calling are likely the primary items related to possible service differences. I haven't ran across much discussion related to losing roaming service on AT&T, so I doubt if most customers would consider that significant. Features like HD Voice and Wi-Fi calling are still somewhat leading-edge items that most prepaid users do not have, so again those items are likely things the average prepaid user probably considers somewhat irrelevant when choosing a cellular provider.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/supp...questions.html
    https://www.cricketwireless.com/supp...questions.html

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I had not seen that Cricket had HD Voice and Wi-Fi calling. This makes Cricket an viable option to me.

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

In all the years I have been on HoFo, I don't recall anyone ever claiming/complaining about the difference between AT&T roaming and MVNO coverage in the eastern USA.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    In all the years I have been on HoFo, I don't recall anyone ever claiming/complaining about the difference between AT&T roaming and MVNO coverage in the eastern USA.
    That must be why I cannot find out much about it. And that’s good to know. Thanks.