Thread: what's the cheapest method to keep number alive when SIM only used twice a year?

Feedback Score

what's the cheapest method to keep number alive when SIM only used twice a year?

I'm asking this for my friend who only uses AT&T Prepaid SIM twice a year when she visits the US and Canada.

The account is currently on the $45 plan with 6gb of data. She is leaving in about a week and won't be back again until March or April.

What's the cheapest way to keep the phone number and account active until her next visit?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S6, Moto E LTE, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Before leaving the US, switch to the $2 A Day plan and add a $100 top-up. The $100 top-up will keep the line active for 365 days and add a $100 credit balance to you account. The $2/day plan will not deduct any funds as long as no calls are made or answered and no texts are sent.

When you return to the US switch to the $45 plan. $45 will be deducted from your balance to pay for the plan. Switch back to the $2 plan before you leave the country.

Add another $100 to the account before the 365 days are up and any unused balance will be rolled over and added to the new $100. You could also use $25 top-ups every 90 days.

If you fail to top up before the 90 or 365 days are up your balance will be lost. 60 days after that your phone number will also be lost.
    My site: PrepaidPhoneNews.com My other sites: wapreview.com, boostapps.com

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S Plus Apple iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Why does one have to keep the same number? Why not get a new SIM card for each visit and purchase the service needed for each visit. One would have to spend from $100 to $120 to keep an active number on AT&T Prepaid service for a year. A $100 service card would last a year, four $25 service cards would last 360 days and twelve $10 service cards would last 360 days.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    She could port her number to Google Voice for a one time $20 fee, then just activate a new carrier number when she's here. No need to stick with any one carrier or keep the account unnecessarily opened.

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2015...voice.html?m=0

I'm assuming Canadians can have a US Google Voice number - otherwise may you can assist with that

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaCL View Post
    I'm asking this for my friend who only uses AT&T Prepaid SIM twice a year when she visits the US and Canada.

The account is currently on the $45 plan with 6gb of data. She is leaving in about a week and won't be back again until March or April.

What's the cheapest way to keep the phone number and account active until her next visit?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Why does one have to keep the same number? Why not get a new SIM card for each visit and purchase the service needed for each visit. One would have to spend from $100 to $120 to keep an active number on AT&T Prepaid service for a year. A $100 service card would last a year, four $25 service cards would last 360 days and twelve $10 service cards would last 360 days.
    Normally, yes, one would just throw the SIM away and
    start again next time... which is what she has done in
    the ast... but this time somehow AT&T Prepaid assigned
    her a great phone number that she really liked.

(##2)577-5777

I would try to keep that number myself as well.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S Plus Apple iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    If most calls are outgoing, what difference does it make what the number is? Most people just press the contact name to call and may not even know the telephone after the first call.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhoneX4, P+X2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX2, R+, AV, Ting
    Feedback Score
    The cheapest (although not very convenient) way to just keep a number alive with GoPhone is to use a $10 refill every 89 days or less.
    The $10 credit will give you service for up to 30 days (PAYG or daily plan), then before 60 days past the expiration day (grace period), refill again. Repeat the process for as long as needed. That's $50 a year ($40 won''t make it to 365 days)

Keep in mind that from day 31 to 89 (or until you refill again) you won't have service available (you don't need it anyway) but your account will still be active and the SIM alive. Also, don't wait until day 89 to refill, you risk forgetting or something else happening that prevents you from refilling on time and thus losing your number permanently. Do it few days before and set reminders (plural) days before.

Or instead, for peace of mind and convenience, do what's been suggested here by others, a $100 annual refill in the PAYG or daily plan.

Device(s)
    Note2/Oppo7a
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone $35
    Feedback Score
    I would port that number to Google Voice and have it forwarded to what evver new sim I get. I've had my old Sprint number ported to GV for almost a decade. I've collected a couple good numbers too. Bud-abcd (abcd = my name) and x48-x486.