Thread: Is data required for texting?

Device(s)
    Samsung Smooth
    Carrier(s)
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Is data required for texting?

My mother has an iPhone 6s+ on tracfone. In August she ran out of data and had huge problems sending and receiving text messages. She bought some data and was able to text again. I thought it was coincidence but, she ran out of data yesterday and again can’t text.

My husband has an iPhone se. He Recently had no data for over a week and was able to text as usual.

Is there something different with the 6s? Maybe a setting that needs to be changed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Device(s)
    The activated one(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Safelink)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPink View Post
    My mother has an iPhone 6s+ on tracfone. In August she ran out of data and had huge problems sending and receiving text messages. She bought some data and was able to text again. I thought it was coincidence but, she ran out of data yesterday and again can’t text.

My husband has an iPhone se. He Recently had no data for over a week and was able to text as usual.

Is there something different with the 6s? Maybe a setting that needs to be changed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    The iPhone uses Apple's "text" messaging service which IS data based (supported), android and feature(dumb) phones do not.

ETA: I just saw that you noted another iPhone user that used text "normally". Now I'm curious!

ETA2: Is your husband's iPhone Tracfone branded? Whereas your mother's is another carrier "based"?
    This link might help? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204065
    My (Our) Phone History AaG:
    Tracfone (Vz) since '08 < BYOP/Vzw HTC Desire 526 since '16 < Huawei Glory H868C '14 < LG800g '12? < Motorola W376g '08
    Verizon & Sprint '05 < Razr+LG Cosmos 2 & LG Optimus '05
    Alltel & Cingular '03 < A Flip '03
    AT&T '01 < A Flip '01

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Samsung Smooth
    Carrier(s)
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    My mother’s phone is sim free, bought directly from Apple. My husbands phone is Walmart brand.

I read the article you posted. It suggests turning off send as sms and mms. If she turns off mms she won’t be able to get pictures, is that correct?

Feedback Score
    Correct. Carrier MMS requires data - always.

Device(s)
    The activated one(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Safelink)
    Feedback Score
    My mother’s phone is sim free, bought directly from Apple. My husbands phone is Walmart brand.

I read the article you posted. It suggests turning off send as sms and mms. If she turns off mms she won’t be able to get pictures, is that correct?
    I played with my iPhone6S+ in the messaging features and turned off my iMessage so I could focus on the MMS / SMS options, I would try that.
    1. Settings > Message > iMessage (toggle off if it is on, if it is off, toggle it on)
    2. My MMS and SMS toggles were separate, I toggled everything off, then only toggled MMS & SMS back on

Is your mom's iPhone on 3-bucket tracfone srevice? Silly question, but is she out of texts in text bucket? (just verifying before messing further with phone settings)

Feedback Score
    All smartphones and BYOPs on TracFone are 3 buckets. There's no other option.

Quote Originally Posted by tracbourne View Post
    I played with my iPhone6S+ in the messaging features and turned off my iMessage so I could focus on the MMS / SMS options, I would try that.
    1. Settings > Message > iMessage (toggle off if it is on, if it is off, toggle it on)
    2. My MMS and SMS toggles were separate, I toggled everything off, then only toggled MMS & SMS back on

Is your mom's iPhone on 3-bucket tracfone srevice? Silly question, but is she out of texts in text bucket? (just verifying before messing further with phone settings)

Device(s)
    Samsung Smooth
    Carrier(s)
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Yes, she has the 3 buckets, has thousands of texts and minutes. It’s just data that she is out of

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    I think the quote from this link suggesting MMS "don’t consume your data plan" is rather questionable. Far as I know, MMS messages would typically require cellular data, at least for any photo or video attachments. With iMessage turned off, it may be possible to receive the text portion of an MMS without cellular data, although I haven't used an iPhone enough to be certain on this point.

Does your husband typically have internet access over Wi-Fi, while your mother typically does not have access to Wi-Fi data? I've only used an iPhone a short time, but I think they default to iMessage being on, which I believe allows messages over Wi-Fi. If your mother does not have Wi-Fi, it would probably make sense to turn off iMessage, so that at least plain SMS messages would come out of the Tracfone text balance, rather than using cellular data. She would still need cellular data to see MMS attachments, but for someone that typically does not have access to Wi-Fi data, the default iMessage setting is probably not ideal.

I read the article you posted. It suggests turning off send as sms and mms.
    The recommendation is suggesting to use Wi-Fi for data to send and receive messages using iMessage. When someone doesn't typically have Wi-Fi access, then it probably makes sense to instead use SMS and MMS, and turn off iMessage. As noted in the article, I think sending an iMessage without Wi-Fi causes the phone to use cellular data, so the recommendation from the link is probably entirely opposite to the settings someone with thousands of text messages would want to use.
    Last edited by alluringreality; 10-04-2017 at 03:53 PM.

Feedback Score
    The complete sentence is "Your cellular carrier likely charges for MMS messages separately from SMS messages, but they don’t consume your data plan."

It's definitely misleading. If "they" can be assumed to refer to SMS, then it's valid - but ambiguous and poorly written. The rest of the article appears sound.

Quote Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
    I think the quote from this link suggesting MMS "don’t consume your data plan", is false. Far as I know, MMS messages typically use cellular data.

Does your husband typically have internet access over Wi-Fi, while your mother typically does not have Wi-Fi data? I've only used an iPhone a short time, but I think they default to iMessage being on, which I believe allows messages over Wi-Fi. If your mother does not have Wi-Fi, it would probably make sense to turn off iMessage, so that plain SMS messages would come out of the Tracfone text balance, rather than using data.

Feedback Score
    On my SE there is a place in Settings - Messages to turn off the iMessage service and just use SMS messaging. I assume that doing this will mean that texts are charged to the Text bucket rather than the Data bucket.

Feedback Score
    That should be the case as SMS doesn't use data like MMS. Note that with SMS you can't do group messaging like you can with MMS.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeKerr View Post
    On my SE there is a place in Settings - Messages to turn off the iMessage service and just use SMS messaging. I assume that doing this will mean that texts are charged to the Text bucket rather than the Data bucket.
    Cheers!