Thread: Avoid $25 sim starter fee?

Feedback Score

Avoid $25 sim starter fee?

I am thinking about getting the iPhone SE and selling my iPhone 6s just for size. I do nothing but check email, text and call with it for work. No YouTube, video downloads, etc.
    I stopped in the store near me at lunch and they’d said I still need to pay the Sim Starter fee even though I will be swapping my Sim from the 6S to the SE.
    Checking online tonight there is conflicting information (imagine that on the internet!)... Even on T Mobiles own forums, one post says that it’s paid on all phone purchases and another says it’s only if you are activating a new line of service.
    Anyone have experience with this? Should I just go to the Apple Store and buy it there?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpcarls1598 View Post
    I am thinking about getting the iPhone SE and selling my iPhone 6s just for size. I do nothing but check email, text and call with it for work. No YouTube, video downloads, etc.
    I stopped in the store near me at lunch and they’d said I still need to pay the Sim Starter fee even though I will be swapping my Sim from the 6S to the SE.
    Checking online tonight there is conflicting information (imagine that on the internet!)... Even on T Mobiles own forums, one post says that it’s paid on all phone purchases and another says it’s only if you are activating a new line of service.
    Anyone have experience with this? Should I just go to the Apple Store and buy it there?
    I've moved my TMO sim many times between 3 phones.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS 16G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Buy it from Apple and swap the sim. If you buy from T-Mobile on EIP, I think they make you get a sim. I’ve called after and they credit me the sim cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I've moved my TMO sim many times between 3 phones.
    I don't think the ability to move is in question. I'm assuming that he is saying if he buys an iPhone SE from T-Mobile, they want him to also pay for the SIM starter fee.

I just logged into my account online and selected the iPhone SE for purchase and online apparently you don't have to pay the SIM starter fee if you're buying it on an existing line.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I added a new line yesterday using existing equipment. Telesales only charged me $3.99 for the SIM card.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    I don't think the ability to move is in question. I'm assuming that he is saying if he buys an iPhone SE from T-Mobile, they want him to also pay for the SIM starter fee.

I just logged into my account online and selected the iPhone SE for purchase and online apparently you don't have to pay the SIM starter fee if you're buying it on an existing line.
    I wish someone takes them to small claims court or file case FTC, when existing sim is fine why forcing people to pay for a new sim. That's old days forcing people to buy something they don't have to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Did you tell the store rep you were planning to "upgrade," or did they think you were trying to activate a new line of service?

Either way upgrade fees suck. If you are forced to buy a new SIM card to upgrade then that's what I call an upgrade fee.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Are you getting the phone from TMobile?

Feedback Score
    That’s new or incorrect. You would pay a $20 upgrade fee (doesn’t apply to online purchases), but they don’t require a new SIM kit for existing lines- or didn’t use to anyway. Hopefully it is just the $20 and not the $25 though.