Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Avoid $25 sim starter fee?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0

    Avoid $25 sim starter fee?

    I am thinking about getting the iPhone SE and selling my iPhone 6s just for size. I do nothing but check email, text and call with it for work. No YouTube, video downloads, etc.
    I stopped in the store near me at lunch and they’d said I still need to pay the Sim Starter fee even though I will be swapping my Sim from the 6S to the SE.
    Checking online tonight there is conflicting information (imagine that on the internet!)... Even on T Mobiles own forums, one post says that it’s paid on all phone purchases and another says it’s only if you are activating a new line of service.
    Anyone have experience with this? Should I just go to the Apple Store and buy it there?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,758
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpcarls1598 View Post
    I am thinking about getting the iPhone SE and selling my iPhone 6s just for size. I do nothing but check email, text and call with it for work. No YouTube, video downloads, etc.
    I stopped in the store near me at lunch and they’d said I still need to pay the Sim Starter fee even though I will be swapping my Sim from the 6S to the SE.
    Checking online tonight there is conflicting information (imagine that on the internet!)... Even on T Mobiles own forums, one post says that it’s paid on all phone purchases and another says it’s only if you are activating a new line of service.
    Anyone have experience with this? Should I just go to the Apple Store and buy it there?
    I've moved my TMO sim many times between 3 phones.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    81
    Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS 16G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Buy it from Apple and swap the sim. If you buy from T-Mobile on EIP, I think they make you get a sim. I’ve called after and they credit me the sim cost.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    13,497
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I've moved my TMO sim many times between 3 phones.
    I don't think the ability to move is in question. I'm assuming that he is saying if he buys an iPhone SE from T-Mobile, they want him to also pay for the SIM starter fee.

    I just logged into my account online and selected the iPhone SE for purchase and online apparently you don't have to pay the SIM starter fee if you're buying it on an existing line.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,357
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I added a new line yesterday using existing equipment. Telesales only charged me $3.99 for the SIM card.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,266
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    I don't think the ability to move is in question. I'm assuming that he is saying if he buys an iPhone SE from T-Mobile, they want him to also pay for the SIM starter fee.

    I just logged into my account online and selected the iPhone SE for purchase and online apparently you don't have to pay the SIM starter fee if you're buying it on an existing line.
    I wish someone takes them to small claims court or file case FTC, when existing sim is fine why forcing people to pay for a new sim. That's old days forcing people to buy something they don't have to


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,357
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpcarls1598 View Post
    I am thinking about getting the iPhone SE and selling my iPhone 6s just for size. I do nothing but check email, text and call with it for work. No YouTube, video downloads, etc.
    I stopped in the store near me at lunch and they’d said I still need to pay the Sim Starter fee even though I will be swapping my Sim from the 6S to the SE.
    Checking online tonight there is conflicting information (imagine that on the internet!)... Even on T Mobiles own forums, one post says that it’s paid on all phone purchases and another says it’s only if you are activating a new line of service.
    Anyone have experience with this? Should I just go to the Apple Store and buy it there?
    Did you tell the store rep you were planning to "upgrade," or did they think you were trying to activate a new line of service?

    Either way upgrade fees suck. If you are forced to buy a new SIM card to upgrade then that's what I call an upgrade fee.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7,781
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    Are you getting the phone from TMobile?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,974
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpcarls1598 View Post
    I am thinking about getting the iPhone SE and selling my iPhone 6s just for size. I do nothing but check email, text and call with it for work. No YouTube, video downloads, etc.
    I stopped in the store near me at lunch and they’d said I still need to pay the Sim Starter fee even though I will be swapping my Sim from the 6S to the SE.
    Checking online tonight there is conflicting information (imagine that on the internet!)... Even on T Mobiles own forums, one post says that it’s paid on all phone purchases and another says it’s only if you are activating a new line of service.
    Anyone have experience with this? Should I just go to the Apple Store and buy it there?
    That’s new or incorrect. You would pay a $20 upgrade fee (doesn’t apply to online purchases), but they don’t require a new SIM kit for existing lines- or didn’t use to anyway. Hopefully it is just the $20 and not the $25 though.

Similar Threads

  1. $25.00 Sim Card Fee is Kinda Outrageous
    By Don_KeyKong in forum Freedom Mobile (previously Wind Mobile)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-28-2016, 06:20 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-07-2014, 08:11 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-15-2011, 10:04 AM
  4. possible to avoid the $25 number transfer fee?
    By getliquid in forum TELUS Mobility
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-13-2007, 12:12 PM
  5. how to avoid $25 ESN change fee?
    By tree in forum TELUS Mobility
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 02:04 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks