Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Slow Data in LTEiRA Areas

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EricB294 View Post
    No they’ve not given me an answer yet. A tech support agent is calling me at noon to talk about it. If it’s not resolved over the phone, it won’t be, they are going to send an engineer to my home to check it out. All the signs point to network congestion here. I know people have been leaving ATT in droves from this area for the last few years. Unless you live in Morgantown Bluegrass is your only option for decent coverage.

My issues started after bluegrass introduced their unlimited plan.
    Keep me updated please. I know that unlimited data poses a new challenge for a lot of carriers but you wouldn’t think it would slow them down that much. However, when you take a regional carrier like Bluegrass who probably doesn’t use carrier aggregation or MIMO technology that it can easily bear their network down. I know they finally deployed AWS Band 4 in a lot of areas but that is also congested/slow.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Slow Data in LTEiRA Areas

Quote Originally Posted by NarcisticPunk View Post
    Keep me updated please. I know that unlimited data poses a new challenge for a lot of carriers but you wouldn’t think it would slow them down that much. However, when you take a regional carrier like Bluegrass who probably doesn’t use carrier aggregation or MIMO technology that it can easily bear their network down. I know they finally deployed AWS Band 4 in a lot of areas but that is also congested/slow.
    Bluegrass definitely uses CA. Problem is 20 MHz of DL (10 MHz B4 and 10 MHz B13) just isn't enough.

I experienced slow speeds myself across most of KY on Bluegrass and it didn't become decent til I saw some B4 near Bowling Green.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    Bluegrass definitely uses CA. Problem is 20 MHz of DL (10 MHz B4 and 10 MHz B13) just isn't enough.

I experienced slow speeds myself across most of KY on Bluegrass and it didn't become decent til I saw some B4 near Bowling Green.
    How do you determine the MHz? Can you do it with iPhone field test mode?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    How do you determine the MHz? Can you do it with iPhone field test mode?
    Yeah fairly easily if you know how to translate the EARFCN to bandwidth. EARFCN's ending in 0 are 10 or 20 MHz bandwidth and EARFCN's ending in 5 are 5 or 15 MHz bandwidth. In your case it'll be 10 MHz for the Verizon spectrum they're using.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I always thought the EARFCN was determining if the device was currently using carrier aggregation.

Feedback Score
    No they’ve not given me an answer yet. A tech support agent is calling me at noon to talk about it. If it’s not resolved over the phone, it won’t be, they are going to send an engineer to my home to check it out. All the signs point to network congestion here. I know people have been leaving ATT in droves from this area for the last few years. Unless you live in Morgantown Bluegrass is your only option for decent coverage.

My issues started after bluegrass introduced their unlimited plan.
    Just an update from my end: I went to a site today near the Way-Mart here in Glasgow that is a fairly new site (Antenna Search says it was constructed in 2009.) Anyways, I got right up on it and was able to hit speeds of 40+ mb down and was able to download a couple of apps pretty quickly. (Keep in mind, I am a Verizon customer and not Bluegrass.) However, as soon as I started away from the tower my speeds deteriorated pretty quick. So, I'm guessing that Bluegrass just doesn't have the bandwidth to support all the customers they have and the traffic they generate. I have an AT&T phone as well and it picks up a lot more LTE bands here in Glasgow (2,4,5 and 30) and the overall experience is better for me than Bluegrass/Verizon. My guess is, until a lot of people start complaining about the speeds and experience then they won't do anything to improve it. I also read somewhere a few weeks ago that Bluegrass is very close to turning on HD Voice which will weigh the network down even more.

Feedback Score
    Just an update from my end: I went to a site today near the Way-Mart here in Glasgow that is a fairly new site (Antenna Search says it was constructed in 2009.) Anyways, I got right up on it and was able to hit speeds of 40+ mb down and was able to download a couple of apps pretty quickly. (Keep in mind, I am a Verizon customer and not Bluegrass.) However, as soon as I started away from the tower my speeds deteriorated pretty quick. So, I'm guessing that Bluegrass just doesn't have the bandwidth to support all the customers they have and the traffic they generate. I have an AT&T phone as well and it picks up a lot more LTE bands here in Glasgow (2,4,5 and 30) and the overall experience is better for me than Bluegrass/Verizon. My guess is, until a lot of people start complaining about the speeds and experience then they won't do anything to improve it. I also read somewhere a few weeks ago that Bluegrass is very close to turning on HD Voice which will weigh the network down even more.
    They are sending people out this week to test for themselves. I asked them if people had been complaining about speeds and the tech support agent said no not in your area.

I ran a speed test at 8:30 this morning in Bowling Green at I 65 exit 22 with perfect reception and got 16 down and 18 up. This area used to always be in the 30’s or more down.

Feedback Score
    They are sending people out this week to test for themselves. I asked them if people had been complaining about speeds and the tech support agent said no not in your area.

I ran a speed test at 8:30 this morning in Bowling Green at I 65 exit 22 with perfect reception and got 16 down and 18 up. This area used to always be in the 30’s or more down.
    At exit 22 in BG you are right on top of a tower too that has Band 4 AWS “X-LTE” spectrum. Crazy how the UDPs can create so much network load. I guess when they try to compete with the big guys they don’t take into effect that they are easily the carrier with the biggest customer base in this area and that can create major network overload. Here’s hoping they can find the resources to improve their network. AT&Ts speeds are pretty consistent around here. They used to have a lot of congestion in Bowling Green but they have deployed more bands and increased capacity making for a better overall experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2