Thread: California: At&t has the worst reception

Device(s)
    9630 BB Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

California: At&t has the worst reception

I visit California a few times a year and ATT has the worst covereage. One bar in most places. ANd even when I have full bars, data is slow. It looks like ATT has given up hope in California. They could care less. Even Sprint was better in California than ATT. Pathetic that the number 2 carrier in the US can't maintain their service in a big state like California. The specific areas I have found this to be true is: San Diego, LA, Santa Barbara(almost non-existent), and SF. Perhaps At&t should focus on the existing customers they have instead of trying to merge and acquire new companies. Disappointed. ATT: The Jack of all trades, master of none!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dentite View Post
    I visit California a few times a year and ATT has the worst covereage. One bar in most places. ANd even when I have full bars, data is slow. It looks like ATT has given up hope in California. They could care less. Even Sprint was better in California than ATT. Pathetic that the number 2 carrier in the US can't maintain their service in a big state like California. The specific areas I have found this to be true is: San Diego, LA, Santa Barbara(almost non-existent), and SF. Perhaps At&t should focus on the existing customers they have instead of trying to merge and acquire new companies. Disappointed. ATT: The Jack of all trades, master of none!
    In California from what I've heard Verizon and Sprint have deployed the most small cells. Att possibly even Tmobile need to catch up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    AT&T/Sprint/VZW
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As a resident of California and as a mobile geek with active lines on all 4 carriers I’d have to disagree. These are my observations with an iPhone 7 Plus on VZW and AT&T, and a Galaxy S8 on T-Mobile and Sprint.

T-mobile has convinced everyone that somehow they’re the best thing since sliced bread but even in a bit of urban areas and suburban areas of California their indoor coverage is subpar. Same goes for rural areas. In the Sierras, the Coast range, and Eastern California there are just too many places with the dreaded no service.

Verizon is good but contrary to popular belief, does not have coverage in every nook and cranny of the state. In fact some areas in eastern California and the Sierras you do get AT&T coverage with no Verizon coverage. Also their speeds have really really taken a hit with the unlimited flood.

I use AT&T as my primary line simply because it seems to be a good compromise of a lot of things: good (not perfect) coverage in rural areas and indoors, good speeds on LTE and HSPA, and lots of spectrum so handling unlimited fairly well. It doesn’t hurt that I bundle Fiber 1000 and U-verse TV at my house either.

Sprint, there’s just not much to say. They stopped expanding significantly many years ago here and while they have a lot of spectrum they’re just too broke or focused on the next merger to really be a competitive network. If price is your only factor or you live in a big area like LA you’d probably be OK though.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    As a resident of California and as a mobile geek with active lines on all 4 carriers I’d have to disagree. These are my observations with an iPhone 7 Plus on VZW and AT&T, and a Galaxy S8 on T-Mobile and Sprint.

T-mobile has convinced everyone that somehow they’re the best thing since sliced bread but even in a bit of urban areas and suburban areas of California their indoor coverage is subpar. Same goes for rural areas. In the Sierras, the Coast range, and Eastern California there are just too many places with the dreaded no service.

I believe our perceptions are largely based on our specific areas.

For example T-Mobile has deployed LTE all over the western Mojave Desert even in the most rural spots. AT&T still has 4G and lots of no service.

T-Mobile is even going to finish the 40 and 10 FWY's with LTE through AZ before AT&T does. T-Mobile got the entire 15 FWY lit up with LTE between SoCal and Vegas (thanks to MetroPCS) before AT&T. The list goes on and on.

But in certain areas the opposite may be true.

I agree with the OP about Santa Barbara and areas north of it. Can someone chime in if AT&T has even completed VoLTE from Santa Barbara though San Jose?

The Sierra's definitely need work and we'll probably have to wait for Band 71 deployments to fix that although service is being added around Yosemite and Kings Canyon. If someone absolutely needs service in these areas Verizon is still the best bet.

AT&T and T-Mobile do not cover the mountainous areas of SoCal very well quiet yet in my experience but boy is it better than it was just 2 years ago. Lots has changed.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Los Angeles - San Diego - Tijuana / D.F. - Puebla
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / iusacell MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dentite View Post
    So Cal is a way of life for me...
    That being said, this is partially true. All the Sprint customers I know aren't too happy with it, the common complaints are...coverage and speeds. AT&T mainly lacks coverage in the communities in the Santa Monica Mountains. Even time I'm up there driving through or visiting certain places, AT&T mainly cuts out while Verizon Wireless maintains 3G service. AT&T is slow, with almost full bars however this doesn't apply to everywhere I go..

I have no complaints with coverage with AT&T when I drive between Los Angeles and San Diego, I do this two times a month. My maps work and stream audio. In my daily LA commute, same thing when streaming a video of newscast.

I used to live in San Diego, and AT&T (depending which one) either had the best or worst coverage depending on the which version you were talking about, however the current AT&T has made some significant strides in coverage. I used to travel between downtown San Diego and the border a lot, while coverage wasn't the best..it was certainly better than T-Mobile. AT&T isn't without flaws because it sometimes sucks with the network congestion at the border.

There's a reason I have stuck with AT&T for almost 20 years in So Cal...
    It works, even if I travel to visit my mom in the middle of nowhere (which ironically used to live in the middle of nowhere).
    It works (now even better), even if I travel to Mexico ...which I do frequently. Unlimited high speed data...

Feedback Score
    T-mobile is the worst by far in CA.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude. I fear fascism is here in the US. [fascism: government led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition & criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., & emphasizing an aggressive nationalism & often racism]

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus, Apple iPhone 6s Plus, Nexus 6, Note 5, Galaxy S7 edge
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    AT&T is the worst in Monterey Park, CA 91754. The only area with full signal is Atlantic Square which has an AT&T corp store. There used to be a cell site located near the Monterey Park Hospital but that site has been decommissioned. T-Mobile works the best here followed by Sprint. Verizon works ok but has slow LTE due to marginal signal.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S+ (Personal) iPhone 7 Qualcomm (Work)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Personal) Verizon (Work)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    The Sierra's definitely need work and we'll probably have to wait for Band 71 deployments to fix that although service is being added around Yosemite and Kings Canyon. If someone absolutely needs service in these areas Verizon is still the best bet.

I was just in Yosemite on Saturday and was pleased and surprised to see that AT&T had added LTE and PCS to the Valley.
    However, I didn't notice any new or expanded coverage.
    What is the added service around Yosemite you're referring to? Just curious.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    AT&T is the worst of the big carriers in los angeles and always has been

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sethc0077 View Post
    I was just in Yosemite on Saturday and was pleased and surprised to see that AT&T had added LTE and PCS to the Valley.
    However, I didn't notice any new or expanded coverage.
    What is the added service around Yosemite you're referring to? Just curious.
    The poster was referring to T-Mobile coverage expansion, not at&t.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S+ (Personal) iPhone 7 Qualcomm (Work)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Personal) Verizon (Work)
    Feedback Score
    Ah, bummer.

Feedback Score
    AT&T does suck in San Diego, very sad.

Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Good in central ca

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk