Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rogers put the US carriers to shame

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score

Rogers put the US carriers to shame

I was up in Ottawa last weekend, and I have a 1GB data roaming package on AT&T. Rogers' network put AT&T and Verizon to shame. It was so solid, so consistent, and seemed just as fast or faster than LTE in the US. We used Google Maps, posted pictures, used OK Google, etc, and it was buttery smooth, almost always had a good signal except in Gatineau Park, which apparently doesn't have much service from any carrier, as we were roaming on Bell with one bar.

I had a similar experience in Vancouver a few years back on HSPA+. Not sure how Canadian carriers are in rural areas, but in the cities, the site density is clearly better than for US carriers. The B7 coverage must have forced Rogers to densify a lot, as it seemed we always had good coverage.

Also, Ottawa was gorgeous, the weather was great, between 9 and the low 20's. Everything was reasonably priced, even before the advantageous (for us) exchange rate.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Feedback Score
    If you were impressed with Rogers Network then you would have been a lot more impressed if you had Telus/Bell.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5 64GB / Nexus 4 / BB Q5
    Carrier(s)
    Fido / Wind / Telus
    Feedback Score
    5 years ago I’d argue that point. However Rogers really has gone down hill. And I can say that because I’m an active sub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    I agree with OP... The US networks really do need to improve in terms of coverage and reliability. On a recent trip to NY, driving of course - there was no data for about 20 minutes. No clue why. Had reception on AT&T, had data previously, but for a whole stretch (still on HSPA) there was no data.

Never experienced anything like that on Bell or Fido back in the day.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I've been to California, Florida, Chicago, and New York, the networks all sucked, I mostly roamed on T-Mobile and AT&T. Lots of stretches driving with no service. However the price is MUCH better in the states compared to Canada. Here I've been with Bell and now Rogers, and I find Canadian Networks are vastly superior, even Rogers..lol

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    Rogers is quite good in Ottawa, very dense network thanks to Videotron RAN sharing. Although, I find AT&T and T-Mobile to be generally pretty good (though spectrum starved). One of the upsides of a lack of consumer unlimited plans is that Canadian carriers (big 3 at least) have great consistency from site to site that you don't find so much internationally.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    In the cities, Rogers has really good site density, so it's more stable and consistent. I can't say about speed, as I've only run a couple Speedtests on Rogers, and while they were very good, I don't know how much the relay back to AT&T's servers in NYC were messing things up. In the US in cities, some blocks are great, others are very weak.

The US is very sprawly, which makes it harder to cover, and then we have NYC, Boston, Baltimore, Philly, DC, etc which are far more dense than anything in Canada.

AT&T is in a good spectrum position, with B2/4/5/17/29/30. Verizon is in a bad spectrum position, do they are densifying like mad. I have generally very good coverage on AT&T, but a lot of the time in a city, one block will be full bars, while a few blocks away, the phone is on one bar, in Canada is seemed like the phone always had a good signal, even indoors in most places. The B7 LTE was weird though, as making a call dropped me to 850 UMTS and it went from 3 to 5 bars... still very solid all around. Not sure who's fault that is... apparently AT&T and Rogers haven't cross-connected VoLTE yet.

Feedback Score
    DurIng my recent trip to Vancouver, I found the Canadian networks slow and lacking coverage outside the metro area.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    DurIng my recent trip to Vancouver, I found the Canadian networks slow and lacking coverage outside the metro area.
    That basically sums up Rogers.
    Bell/Telus on the other hand, are quite good if you stick to main highways/most towns...far better than Rogers. It is easy to get outside of coverage by driving 20 mins from any main highway, however.

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I've said for years our service smokes most of what you can see in the US
    AT&T is acceptable, but I tried TMo during 2 separate trips and it was a huge mistake
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $6 Loyalty - $42 Refer = $22 per Month
    Telus SK North American Wide 7GB = $65
    Chatr (Mobi) $40 North America Wide + 6GB + 30 Mins Roaming

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    One of the biggest struggles with roaming on T-Mobile now is their aggressive refarming of 3G, to the point where there are areas I only get LTE and GPRS (on a 6s!). This is a good idea for their customers, but since VoLTE roaming isn't widespread yet, it is a mess for roaming. Calls drop like crazy, it takes multiple attempts to put calls through and you can't use data on calls. For some reason, Bell has T-Mobile as their preferred network down there and I've had to help my colleagues to force AT&T as well so they can actually make calls.

Also in terms of VoLTE roaming, it would be nice to roam on Verizon at some point.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    At&t in the us is decent. Rogers wasn't bad... A little weak in Northern Ontario, Bellus was a little better. Don't forget... At&t/Verizon have well over 100 million subs each. T-Mobile has sonewhere around 70 million. The network is much larger, plans are unlimited, and costs less.

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Rogers wasn't bad... A little weak in Northern Ontario, Bellus was a little better.
    Really??? Northern ON is one of Bell/Telus worst spots since TBayTel got in bed with Rogers

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GP-SE View Post
    I've been to California, Florida, Chicago, and New York, the networks all sucked, I mostly roamed on T-Mobile and AT&T. Lots of stretches driving with no service. However the price is MUCH better in the states compared to Canada. Here I've been with Bell and now Rogers, and I find Canadian Networks are vastly superior, even Rogers..lol
    As Someone who lives in the US . And was browsing the Canadian forums. Found this and saw the mistake you were roaming on At&t and T-Mobile. Try Verizon ohhh wait I forgot Rogers or any Canadian network doesn't roam on Verizon haha.. so yeaaaa you missed out on what's good Verizon is reliable compared to at&t and T-Mobile and has solid LTE were the others don't like in rural places out of the city take a trip by car there's lots of stretches At&t and T-Mobile absolutely have no service not even 2G edge but Verizon has solid LTE u never ever go without service on Verizon . So yea... same with everyone else on here commenting they been in the US and tried at&t and T-Mobile . Verizon is much superior to any network in Canada and than At&t and T-Mobile in terms of coverage and LTE, LTE speeds are up to 150 mbps in some areas with verizon were at&t and T-Mobile get 10 mbps in the same areas . Like in new York, Miami ,California, Chicago. Look it up I ain't lying. Verizon is def the best you and everyone else on here should try it next time u come to the US.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by omarc443 View Post
    As Someone who lives in the US . And was browsing the Canadian forums. Found this and saw the mistake you were roaming on At&t and T-Mobile. Try Verizon ohhh wait I forgot Rogers or any Canadian network doesn't roam on Verizon haha.. so yeaaaa you missed out on what's good Verizon is reliable compared to at&t and T-Mobile and has solid LTE were the others don't like in rural places out of the city take a trip by car there's lots of stretches At&t and T-Mobile absolutely have no service not even 2G edge but Verizon has solid LTE u never ever go without service on Verizon . So yea... same with everyone else on here commenting they been in the US and tried at&t and T-Mobile . Verizon is much superior to any network in Canada and than At&t and T-Mobile in terms of coverage and LTE, LTE speeds are up to 150 mbps in some areas with verizon were at&t and T-Mobile get 10 mbps in the same areas . Like in new York, Miami ,California, Chicago. Look it up I ain't lying. Verizon is def the best you and everyone else on here should try it next time u come to the US.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Verizon falls back to CDMA and the roaming agreements are between GSM networks. So Canadian carriers will probably never roam on Verizon. In addition to that Verizon tampers with phones so if you buy a verizon phone, it will not work in Canada or if it does you have to put up with Verizon's bloat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast