Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are there any areas where T-Mobile really blasts the tower signal to the max?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Are there any areas where T-Mobile really blasts the tower signal to the max?

LTE has a theoretical maximum range of a 100 km (62 mile) radius I believe. The towers are almost never blasted to this extreme because in any populated area it would be overloaded very quickly. But are there any areas in the US where the signal is really blasted to the max? Where at and how far away is the tower (in your estimation)? I'm thinking maybe in the midwest.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mossme89 View Post
    LTE has a theoretical maximum range of a 100 km (62 mile) radius I believe. The towers are almost never blasted to this extreme because in any populated area it would be overloaded very quickly. But are there any areas in the US where the signal is really blasted to the max? Where at and how far away is the tower (in your estimation)? I'm thinking maybe in the midwest.
    Theoretical is likely not what is achieved in the lab environment let alone in the outside world with atmospheric conditions always changing.
    You would never get that kind of range in the real world. So its unlikely tmobile cranks up the tower broadcast power to the max because it would be a waste of energy.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I would say that along CA58 between Mojave and Barstow. Go for a long distance. Use Cell Mapper and select the site at Kramer Hills on us395

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mossme89 View Post
    It is your cell phone transmit power output that sets the maximum distance you can go from a cell tower and use that phone. The cell tower can blast out signal to the Max but unless your phone can talk to the tower it's not useable. That is why HPUD (High Power User Device) was approved on Cell Phones with Band 41 by the FCC, to increase the Cell phone's decibels power to reach the tower. Only Sprint uses HPUD in the USA.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    It is your cell phone transmit power output that sets the maximum distance you can go from a cell tower and use that phone. The cell tower can blast out signal to the Max but unless your phone can talk to the tower it's not useable. ......
    That and the phone's antenna, or lack thereof.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I know that this T-Mobile site located in Clintonville, WV along I-64 reaches from there to Lost World Caverns in Lewisburg which is a 15 mile stretch and keep in mind that there is a lot of mountains and hills there. It's Band 4 & 12.
    Sensorly
    Cellmapper (Actual tower is a half mile from where it's pinned on here)

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    They blast their B12 in my area as far as AT&T and Verizon do, but B4/2 nonetheless still has paltry range compared to AT&T and Verizon.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I would say that along CA58 between Mojave and Barstow. Go for a long distance. Use Cell Mapper and select the site at Kramer Hills on us395

T-Mobile has really covered ground with LTE in rural areas of the Mojave Desert in SoCal.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This is a long stretch, but I suspect that this is someone in the hills picking up that site.

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This is a long stretch, but I suspect that this is someone in the hills picking up that site.

T-Mobile’s rural coverage Is paltry in many areas of the country. Unless they start cranking out or cell sites In rural areas And keep densifying in the areas they serve they will be in a lot of trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dandn1321 View Post
    T-Mobile’s rural coverage Is paltry in many areas of the country. Unless they start cranking out or cell sites In rural areas.

Yes, very paltry indeed.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Try using their distance measuring tool. Line of site is probably more like 35 miles. Still impressive.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Using the measuring tool, I get 49 miles to that spot just past Lucerne Valley, and 43 miles to the spot past Hisperia

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Using the measuring tool, I get 49 miles to that spot just past Lucerne Valley, and 43 miles to the spot past Hisperia

That's impressive. Wonder if a booster was being used.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    That's impressive. Wonder if a booster was being used.

Probably nothing... When I was in Europe, it wasn't uncommon to register on open water at up to 60 miles.
    This is similar. Open desert (no trees), and looks like connected in the San Bernardino mountains (i.e. clear shot).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast