Thread: Can't Connect "System Busy" In Roaming Area

Feedback Score

Can't Connect "System Busy" In Roaming Area

Sprint branded phone on 1 year free plan

When calling in a roaming area, especially indoors, the phone will show calling for awhile and then "System Busy" and disconnect. Sprint tech support just said you're roaming, nothing we can do.

• Phone shows 3-5 bars of signal when this happens.
    • Data seems to be not affected. No problems connecting to data and speed is the same as Sprint native.
    • It seems to be worst during the day. Slightly better in the early morning or late at night.
    • Once the call does connect the call quality is completely normal/good. No dropped calls yet, but I don't call that much
    • 1 weird thing is if a call does successful go through. I can then hang up and immediately make another call and the new call will also immediately go through. But if I wait a few seconds between before making another call then the new call won't connect

PRL has been updated multiple times and Sprint has "refreshed the service on the phone"

Any fix for this? Thank you
    Last edited by HFUN; 10-07-2017 at 06:24 PM.

Feedback Score
    Not over your roaming allotment by any chance?

Feedback Score
    Nope. Not only that, but my Sprint online shows less usage than I actually have, even after a couple days...

Feedback Score
    have you tried double dialing the number or try 1 + the area code then the number.

Feedback Score
    What is double dialing? Haven't tried 1+ yet, haven't been able to activate the phone since they reset my service.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Can you tell us where you are trying to roam? Has roaming ever worked? It only in a certain area or everywhere?

The only anecdotes I have are ancient... like 10+ years but may still have some validity...

1. You may be roaming in an area where Sprint doesn't have a roaming agreement -- but that said, data should not be working.
    2. There used to be a thing called American Roaming Network where if you connected to a system where Sprint didn't have an agreement, you'd be able to make a call with a credit card... This used to be a CDMA advantage because GSM systems would just show "emergency calls only"... I've heard they disbanded this -- and that would cause a fast busy now if there was a system without a roaming agreement.
    3. I had a flip phone years ago that did *exactly* this... I don't remember the model but I do remember it was the first dual-band LG phone that didn't have analog... I think it was a 5225 or something -- what's important though is that the ESN they had for the phone on their end was assigned to another account -- even though I had the phone -- and it screwed roaming up, although I was able to use my phone natively fine... they gave me a new phone, problem solved... although they were stumped -- and I'd bought the phone new in the box.

N

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HFUN View Post
    What is double dialing? Haven't tried 1+ yet, haven't been able to activate the phone since they reset my service.
    Double dialing just means dialing the same number twice in a row. Some (mainly Verizon that I am aware of) roaming arrangements require that to confirm your intent since you might get billed later for the call depending on your plan etc.
    Last edited by comintel; 10-10-2017 at 05:05 AM.

Feedback Score
    I haven't been to any other roaming areas yet so can't compare. Its always been this way. Sprint coverage map and CS says this is an extended roaming coverage area.

If Sprint doesn't have a roaming agreement then it shouldn't work at all right? From OP
    • It seems to be worst during the day. Slightly better in the early morning or late at night.
    • 1 weird thing is if a call does successful go through. I can then hang up and immediately make another call and the new call will also immediately go through. But if I wait a few seconds between before making another call then the new call won't connect

Double dialing makes no difference. Only thing I can think of I'm being deprioritized to death but this still doesn't explain why data works. Or does deprioritization only affect calls/text and not data?

Thank you

Feedback Score
    PRL has been updated multiple times and Sprint has "refreshed the service on the phone"
    I assume that means that they reprovisioned it.

If not, you could ask them to reprovision it.

Sometimes there is old provisioning that is wrong on their side (not in the phone).

Other than that, the only thing I can think of is trying another phone if you have one. You could have them swap it in temporary, or since adding lines is free right now, just add it on temporarily.

Or, if this area is large enough to have a cellular store for say Verizon, stop by and at least chat and see if you could figure out anything with the staff.