Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Mobley unlimited plan retired

Feedback Score

Mobley unlimited plan retired

The RV Mobile Internet site (www.rvmobileinternet.com) is reporting that AT&T has retired the $20 unlimited connected car plan on the Mobley. Has anyone else heard this? I guess you can get other plans for the Mobley just no longer unlimited.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What if you already have it, you get to keep it or you would loose it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    The unlimited standalone plan is still available for compatible vehicles (current-gen GM OnStar cars), and Mobley can still get unlimited data via Unlimited Choice and Plus.

Have it on good authority the HoFo effect came back for one reunion-tour run and kibashed the plan. AT&T's anti-churn rules prevented them from plugging the leak, which meant public knowledge of the SIM swapping ability forced the plan's demise.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pfwarrior View Post
    What if you already have it, you get to keep it or you would loose it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You keep the plan if you already have it. It's just not offered anymore as a standalone plan to new customers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by johnothy View Post
    The RV Mobile Internet site (www.rvmobileinternet.com) is reporting that AT&T has retired the $20 unlimited connected car plan on the Mobley. Has anyone else heard this? I guess you can get other plans for the Mobley just no longer unlimited.
    After clicking above link I don’t see the news about this

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by echance20 View Post
    After clicking above link I don’t see the news about this
    Check the many Mobley threads in the data card forum. It is gone. It happened suddenly with no notice. There is no announcement, AT&T simply decided to stop including the Mobley in the CCSUDP plan.

I presume this was also due to Samsung's connected car hotspot being MIA and ZTE not continuing to develop the Mobley platform.

If the offering does come back, I expect they'll use eSIM/ISIM, like smartwatch and WHPI devices... which will block the foreign device usage. Wouldn't surprise me if that's what is holding up the Samsung model.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    The unlimited standalone plan is still available for compatible vehicles (current-gen GM OnStar cars), and Mobley can still get unlimited data via Unlimited Choice and Plus.

Have it on good authority the HoFo effect came back for one reunion-tour run and kibashed the plan. AT&T's anti-churn rules prevented them from plugging the leak, which meant public knowledge of the SIM swapping ability forced the plan's demise.
    Interesting!! Can you explain what you mean by the Anti-churn rules prevented AT&T from plugging the leak?

Feedback Score
    Is there grandfathering or not?
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude. I fear fascism is here in the US. [fascism: government led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition & criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., & emphasizing an aggressive nationalism & often racism]

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Is there grandfathering or not?
    So far, anyone with the plan still has the plan so it is assumed we will be grandfathered. To my knowledge ATT hasn’t said anything official yet.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Grandfathering is official per some internal documents that I can't share. You won't lose the plan, though of course down the road AT&T could force/enforce you to actually use it inside a Mobley (for those who aren't).

This change was paired to a few internal whittlings that 99.9% of people aren't impacted by. For example WHPI was restricted from Unlimited Plus/Choice in markets where the rural 250/500GB plan is being trialed (for obvious reasons).

There was a fear hotspots would be dropped from Unlimited Plus and/or more requirements, but thankfully those didn't play out. Some (very good) people in AT&T pushed back, mercifully.

Feedback Score
    Grandfathering is official per some internal documents that I can't share. You won't lose the plan, though of course down the road AT&T could force/enforce you to actually use it inside a Mobley (for those who aren't).
    Thank you! That is very useful info. In reference to AT&T potentially forcing users to use the plan in a Mobley, if that scenario happened, would AT&T immediately remove the plan from those who have it in a device other than the mobley? Or would you be given a chance a certain number of days to put your sim back in a Mobley and keep the plan?

Any insight on this?

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by novaredskin View Post
    Thank you! That is very useful info. In reference to AT&T potentially forcing users to use the plan in a Mobley, if that scenario happened, would AT&T immediately remove the plan from those who have it in a device other than the mobley? Or would you be given a chance a certain number of days to put your sim back in a Mobley and keep the plan?

Any insight on this?
    It's hard to say, but I seriously doubt it would be instant. Likely you would get a letter and a 30-day notice to put the SIM back in the Mobley or lose the plan. Or depending on how things change/upgrade AT&T could just freeze the SIM until the IMEI matches a Mobley.

I must stress - I have no information that says AT&T is interested in doing any of this. AT&T has become non-partisan on device types, so I don't think they care... to the point, as I said before the plan was pulled, that they don't want it becoming widespread/mainstream.

AT&T knows geeks, at the end of the day, will get the cheapest data with the most utilization. They've accepted this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by novaredskin View Post

Any insight on this?
    USually that is trigged (plan change) during a SIM change.So say you were using the mobley for months in a Unite hotspot, and you lost the hotspot and SIM.You need a new SIM, and when the ATT Store rep tries to activate a new SIM because it shows a Hotsppot on your line usually this will trigger a plan change and REP will need either your mobley physically i think here (to scan in OPUS) or it would prompt them for plan change (it could be worse if mobley is enitrely removed from new activation and grandfathered)....

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid87 View Post
    USually that is trigged (plan change) during a SIM change.So say you were using the mobley for months in a Unite hotspot, and you lost the hotspot and SIM.You need a new SIM, and when the ATT Store rep tries to activate a new SIM because it shows a Hotsppot on your line usually this will trigger a plan change and REP will need either your mobley physically i think here (to scan in OPUS) or it would prompt them for plan change (it could be worse if mobley is enitrely removed from new activation and grandfathered)....
    +1 Whenever doing a SIM replacement, you should return it to the Mobley and its IMEI. Make sure the rep does this when activating the replacement SIM. That will ensure the grandfathered plan stays on the account.

Could get messy if you don't do that. I actually use my plan in my Mobley so it's not an issue for me, but it could be for some that sold their Mobleys (or worse, never had one in the first place).

Feedback Score
    +1 Whenever doing a SIM replacement, you should return it to the Mobley and its IMEI. Make sure the rep does this when activating the replacement SIM. That will ensure the grandfathered plan stays on the account.

Could get messy if you don't do that. I actually use my plan in my Mobley so it's not an issue for me, but it could be for some that sold their Mobleys (or worse, never had one in the first place).
    What would happen, I wonder, if say I sold my mobley off like you mentioned, and were using it in a hotspot.

Then, lost the SIM + hotspot hmmm I dont think giving them just an IMEI would work they would need phsyically the device to activate / issue new Activated SIM..

so those who are doing this (dont have mobley on them anymore when they would have while getting a new line of service initially) would be stuck / prevented unless they somehow manage to get hold of a used clean IMEI mobley.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast