Thread: Cricket, Red Pocket, Ooma, and Google Voice Latency Tests

Feedback Score

Cricket, Red Pocket, Ooma, and Google Voice Latency Tests

I just did some latency tests and thought others might be interested in the results. I used Audacity on my computer to accurately measure the times, and did each test a few times to ensure the results were somewhat consistent.

Cricket (2nd gen Moto X) -> Red Pocket ATT (iPhone SE) : 280ms
    Cricket -> Ooma (cordless panasonic phone) : 550ms
    Cricket -> Google Voice (obihai obi200, cordless panasonic phone) : 450ms
    Cricket -> Google Voice -> Red Pocket (iPhone SE) : 630ms
    Red Pocket (iPhone SE using Google Voice app) -> Google Voice -> Cricket (2nd gen Moto X) : 585ms

Echo tests using 909-390-0003
    Cricket (2nd gen Moto X) : 430ms
    Red Pocket ATT (iPhone SE) : 485ms
    Ooma (cordless panasonic phone) : 430ms
    Google Voice (cordless panasonic phone) : 484ms
    Red Pocket (iPhone SE using Google Voice app) : 757ms

Conclusion? Using Google Voice as an intermediary seems to add an additional 300ms of latency, which is enough for me to decide against porting my number to Google and having calls forwarded to my cell.

Feedback Score
    Good tests, around here even hinting Google voice isn't all that , ignored or catch hell, I had roughly all the same experience with GV no matter the provider.

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Interesting.... Can you give more details on your test methodology.

Google voice app doesn't process any calls, just spoofs caller id.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Interesting.... Can you give more details on your test methodology.

Google voice app doesn't process any calls, just spoofs caller id.
    Sure... So I have my google voice number/account configured to forward calls a linked number, which is my cell phone number.

For this test:

I dialed my Google Voice number from the Moto X (Cricket) phone. Google forwarded the call and rang my iPhone SE (Red Pocket ATT). I answered the call and enabled the speaker phone on the iPhone SE. I then started recording on Audacity, and then struck a pen against a surface near the mouth piece of the Moto X. Audacity picked up the initial pen noise, as well as the repeated noise through the speaker of the iPhone. I then measured the millisecond difference between the start of the first pen noise and the start of the repeated one from within Audacity. I then repeated the same process 2 or more additional times to confirm consistent results.

In this case Google is processing the call and forwarding it to Red Pocket, correct?

For this test:
    Red Pocket (iPhone SE using Google Voice app) -> Google Voice -> Cricket (2nd gen Moto X) : 585ms

I had the Google Voice app on the iPhone SE logged into the same account and used it to dial the Moto X (Cricket) phone. It pops up a message explaining that it will dial a different number to allow the connection, and after confirming it rings the desired destination phone (Moto X). I answered the call on the Moto X, enabled the speaker phone, and then the rest of the procedure is the same as above.

I was assuming that the number it calls is Google owned, and the call goes through that number in order to spoof the origin number... is that not the case?

Feedback Score
    Valid points. I might do some additional testing, though the echo tests were really just a secondary confirmation of the main tests I cared about, which were not echo tests:

Cricket (2nd gen Moto X) -> Red Pocket ATT (iPhone SE) : 280ms
    vs

(I was trying to decide whether to port my main cell number to Google or to Red Pocket, my soon to be cell provider)

I thought it was interesting that both that test and the echo test revealed a roughly 300ms penalty for adding Google Voice to the chain.

Have the people who haven't experienced latency issues using Google Voice forwarding actually measured the latency? I'd be interesting in seeing other peoples results if you can point me to any, especially if it's a comparison between cell -> cell vs cell -> gv -> cell.

Feedback Score
    Makes sense, thanks for the info.

FWIW, geographically I performed the tests only a few miles away from Google's headquarters, which I guess could be a good thing (lots of users to give feedback; or it's optimized for the area) or a bad thing (heavy usage given the demographics)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the test info. When describing audio delay latency it is important to indicate if the measured delay was one-way or round-trip. I assume the first tests listed are one-way and the echo line tests are round-trip.

The standards (G.114 IIRC) for perceived latency are something like:

Excellent perceived link quality 0-300 ms RTD
    Good perceived link quality 300-600 ms RTD
    Poor perceived link quality 600-900 ms RTD
    Unacceptable perceived link quality >900 ms RTD

A typical POTS landline call is about 150 ms RTD.

Typical cell call are usually <=350ms RTD.

I have measured Hangouts VOIP latency with my good quality home cable Internet. It is consistently around 600 ms round-trip. I find that noticeable, but not annoying.

I have an Obi running my home phone using Google Voice. I have not measured it, but I have not noticed a delay.

Feedback Score
    It's round-trip because the software runs only on one end of the link.