Thread: FreedomPop requires adding $5 credit for downgrading to free plan

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Nexus 6P, Boost Mobile ZTE Speed, Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop(AT&T and Sprint)
    Feedback Score

Exclamation FreedomPop requires adding $5 credit for downgrading to free plan

FreedomPop requires adding $5 credit for downgrading to free plan.

Of course, this is an addition to recent string of changes meant for increase revenue and/or lower their expense such as:
    Throttling Sprint free plan data speed to 1 mbps, charging $5/month for higher speed
    1˘ per billing cycle for each billing cycle does register either 5 outgoing calls or 5 MB data usage
    Maximum of 500 MB per month from Freedom Friends
    Delete telephone number from inactive free accounts
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    According to a post at https://www.nthcircle.com/forum/free...s?limitstart=0 , there are apparently some new FP plans being offered. Does anybody have a link to the following FP offer?

I wonder if the $0.99/mo 500MB plan in the picture can also get 500MB/mo free from having 10+ Freedom Friends, for a total of 1,000MB/mo?
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min 1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1 2013-2016
    Selectel-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM 2016-
    T-Mo-Data 2017-

Ericsson AF738 Jul01-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Carrier(s)
    ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Does anybody have a link to the following FP offer?
    That seems to be an issue with FreedomPop. You can not find their offers on their website!

Quote Originally Posted by hoktrillian View Post
    Throttling Sprint free plan data speed to 1 mbps, charging $5/month for higher speed

Well, I am glad then, that I got the $49.99 annual plan with a LG Sprint phone.
    It is faster than 1 mbps.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >FreedomPop requires adding $5 credit for downgrading to free plan

Per Cranial Borg? site, use my.freedompop.com to downgrade w/o $5 top-up.

>link to the following FP offer?

Pretty sure I sent you this link a while back. $13 buy-in.

http://freedompop.com/offer/iphoneplan

>I wonder if the $0.99/mo 500MB plan in the picture can also get 500MB/mo free from having 10+ Freedom Friends, for a total of 1,000MB/mo?

Yep, or +300MB over free plan. It got TD'ed on Slicks, understandably. That's the problem FP faces, every paid plan is crappy when compared to its freebie plan.

When's 3-SIM widget coming?
    Thanks.

The triple SIM adapter may or may not arrive. I just got an email today saying the nano just came back in stock and that the micro was still OOS. I originally ordered 2x nano and 1x micro on 9/29/17, and today's email was the 1st communication since. We'll see if they ever get here.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Pretty sure I sent you this link a while back. $13 buy-in.

http://freedompop.com/offer/iphoneplan
    Here is a breakdown of the $13 buy-in.
    Plus a 3-in-1 LTE Sim Card Kit for only $4.99 ($15 value)
    and $6.99 for shipping.
    Plus the 99 cents for the month of service.
    No free shipping unlike the Free SIM Offer.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    Here is a breakdown of the $13 buy-in.

Plus the 99 cents for the month of service.
    No free shipping unlike the Free SIM Offer.
    Since it's month-to-month, with a $12.97 cost to start, that's a bit of a risk for only 300MB/mo increase over the free FP AT&T LTE service. With the startup cost, that's $1.99/mo averaged over 1 year. As long as the 700MB/mo for free is available from FP, there's not that much incentive to pay $12.97 to start and then $0.99/mo for an extra 300MB/mo, especially with no guarantee of how long the $0.99/mo will last.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    >The triple SIM adapter may or may not arrive.

Thanks for the feedback. I was gonna get a couple of nanos from them. I have the micro from eBay.

I take it R1+ didn't pan out. Dual-SIM phone still on the menu?
    I told them to send 3 nano triple SIM card adapters. I also already have the micro triple SIM adapter from eBay. Ali was cheaper for the micro, but if OOS, I might order another from the eBay seller just to have another extra, just in case they become as rare as the nano.

The R1 Plus was actually okay, but seemed very big, and although promised by Blu, I wonder if it will ever really get Nougat. So it went back.

I also tried an Asus ZenFone 4 Max from Best Buy. That was a really nice phone, Nougat, promised update to Oreo, 5,000mAh battery, but I didn't like it enough for some reason, possibly the Asus skin and how changing active SIMs was a little slow, and the reception wasn't quite as good as my Phoenix 2 with a dual SIM adapter, especially with a T-Mo SIM in fringe areas. So, it went back, too.

Both the R1 Plus, which was on sale for $129.99+tax when I got it, and the ZenFone 4 had quite nice fit and finish with aluminum bodies, but I hated how slick they were without a case, and the ZenFone 4 at $199.99+tax was a little too expensive for my taste. I've given up on the idea of getting a really good camera, since I don't want to spend enough on a phone to get that.

I also tried a used Moto G4 Plus from B&H. The price was right at $129.99, but the 1st one had the infamous ghost touch and loose SIM card slot issues, so I ordered another, which looked mint/almost unused (the 1st one had a slight scuff on one edge) but also had the ghost touch issue. That one had never been registered with Moto/Lenovo, and I almost sent it in for the supposedly verified successful ghost touch fix, and Moto would have paid shipping both ways, but instead decided to return it as well. That may have been a mistake, as I may never find another phone as good, with a least a medium quality camera, for only $129.99. That phone was the reason I bought the micro triple SIM card adapter.

Since the elimination of the FP data gifting, meaning each FP AT&T LTE SIM can only have a maximum of 700MB/mo of free data, vs the previous 1,200MB/mo with gifting, I'll give up on the idea of a dual SIM phone, and will instead use the dual or triple SIM card adapters. So, I should have listened to you in the first place, but I had to try for myself.

I also discovered that I really don't like the "feel" of more "premium finish" phones, at least the ones I tried, because they are so slick with the "premium" materials. I absolutely love the textured rubbery back finish of my Phoenix 2, and the fact that my dual SIM adapter fits inside the back cover is amazing. That same description can be used to describe the Moto G4 Plus, even though the back wasn't as nicely textured. I'm not sure a triple SIM card adapter would fit as well, because I returned the Moto G4 Plus before my micro triple SIM card adapter was delivered, and I don't yet have a nano triple SIM card adapter to try in my Phoenix 2.

I'm now waiting for delivery of a brand new US Cellular Moto E4 from an eBay seller for $49.99+$7.40 shipping, which as I'm sure you know, is reportedly unlocked for every network except possibly Sprint. I'll try it with a dual SIM card adapter I have while I'm waiting for delivery of the triple SIM card adapter, which could be a while, if ever. If the nano triple SIM card adapter does arrive, I'll probably have to get a TPU case to cover it, and I may even need one for use the dual SIM card adapter, depending on the space available and the flexibility of the back cover. We'll see...

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Since it's month-to-month, with a $12.97 cost to start, that's a bit of a risk for only 300MB/mo increase over the free FP AT&T LTE service. With the startup cost, that's $1.99/mo averaged over 1 year. As long as the 700MB/mo for free is available from FP, there's not that much incentive to pay $12.97 to start and then $0.99/mo for an extra 300MB/mo, especially with no guarantee of how long the $0.99/mo will last.
    That is the conclusion I came to also.
    The $6.99 shipping is what killed it for me.
    Now if they had free shipping.....................

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Wow, you been busy.

Yep I toyed with notion of dual-SIM phone a bit back. But my criteria for ditching it were a bit different. Dual-SIM only works if you're good with just 2 SIMs--we're talking of course about FP SIMs here--and I needed a whole lotta more, just a whole lotta em.

Also, dual-SIM phone choices are pretty sparse. Dollar to donuts BF sales won't have any DS. Last, with the Sprint everything freebie plus the Xfinity Mobile (Verizon) voice freebie, I needed CDMA as well as GSM compatibility, which nixed all the DS'es, and limited my choice to just Motos. Fortunately, they're good enough and cheap enough. I've got G4+ refurb and E4, both retail. Looking to pick up maybe one or two more at BF.

Oh yah got a LG X Charge since it was basically free along with free voice. I liked it until I saw its data reception sucked vs my old VZ Moto E2. But voice worked well and it has HD Calling. My dad will get it since he doesn't use data.

BTW, you can get current flagship w/ good cam for cheap. You have to jump on a DPP (device payment plan) promo that carriers put out upon release of a new flagship. The most recent deal was for LG G6, which IIRC was like $120 on Sprint. The nitty-gritty are in the respective SD threads. New flagships are all done with for this year, so you'd have to wait for next year.

Speaking of which, LG G6 has had crappy sales, so you may see it on the chopping block for BF. If good cam is what you want, then G5 and V20 should also be in your alerts.

Re: No more FP data gifting - IMO it doesn't really matter, since you're not actually losing any data. You just have to swap twice as often. This places an onus on SIM swap, which most folks have an aversion to. But it's like anything else. Do it enough times and you will get good at it. Note: Swapping with SIM adapters will require some finesse.

Let me know wassup with USCC Moto E4, particularly whether it's bootloader unlockable, and can install LineageOS (which should be RSN). I'm using a 2-SIM adapter in my E4 retail and it works well. It will fit a 3-SIM, and you can use a hard case for it, as long as the case has a rubber inner lining for some give. Fold the adapter mylar so it sits in the middle of the back rather than to one side.
    It has been confirmed that the USC Moto E4 is bootloader unlockable and able to have the stock firmware flashed, so I would expect that LineageOS would install fine.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the prompting. Saw revised XDA post on USCC E4. Looks good.
    You're welcome!

I got a shipping notice today for the nano triple SIM card adapters. I had asked for an expedited shipping upgrade for no extra cost, since what they advertised as in stock and available was actually OOS at the time, and they said yes. Unfortunately, the AliExpress site shows standard shipping, so I probably won't see them for 1 to 2 months. Oh, well...

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles Excellent Tutorial about FreedomPop

Excellent Tutorial about FreedomPop

For anyone who wants a good presentation about FreedomPop,
    here it is:

http://www.cranialborborygmus.com/fr...or-dummies.htm

Updated October 5th.