Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

Post iPhone 8 and 8 Plus May Have a Swollen Battery Problem

Name:  swollen-iphone.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  43.6 KB

Here's a photo taken by a not-so-proud owner of a new iPhone 8 Plus in Japan; out of the box the new device's battery had swollen to the point where it was pushing the display panel out of its seating. There are reports of similar defects trickling in from around the world—seven in total so far:

Canada - 1 incident reported
    China - 1 incident reported
    Greece - 1 incident reported
    Hong Kong - 1 incident reported
    Japan - 1 incident reported
    Taiwan - 2 incidents reported

This story on Pocketnow has links to each incident. In a couple of cases the phone's battery was swollen out of the box; in others the swelling occurred after the user's first charge (with original equipment). In the rest the swelling became apparent after a short fall, with no initial signs of damage. There are, at present, no reports of batteries actually exploding.

Apple is said to be investigating the issue, which might prove to be a challenge, as batteries for the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are made by three separate manufacturers: LG Chem, Samsung SDI and Simplo Technologies.

Hopefully no one reading this has a swollen battery in their new iPhone; if you do, I'm sure your neighbourhood Apple Store will help you out.

Sources: Pocketnow, The Verge, Twitter
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Phone
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus May Have a Swollen Battery Problem

That’s why I will never be an early adopter again when it comes to iPhones. Definitely better to wait about six months before buying a newly released iPhone. That way all the kinks are worked out.
    Hartford, CT Area

Phone
    Iphone 3G
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acurrie View Post
    Name:  swollen-iphone.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  43.6 KB

Here's a photo taken by a not-so-proud owner of a new iPhone 8 Plus in Japan; out of the box the new device's battery had swollen to the point where it was pushing the display panel out of its seating. There are reports of similar defects trickling in from around the world—seven in total so far:

Canada - 1 incident reported
    China - 1 incident reported
    Greece - 1 incident reported
    Hong Kong - 1 incident reported
    Japan - 1 incident reported
    Taiwan - 2 incidents reported

This story on Pocketnow has links to each incident. In a couple of cases the phone's battery was swollen out of the box; in others the swelling occurred after the user's first charge (with original equipment). In the rest the swelling became apparent after a short fall, with no initial signs of damage. There are, at present, no reports of batteries actually exploding.

Apple is said to be investigating the issue, which might prove to be a challenge, as batteries for the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are made by three separate manufacturers: LG Chem, Samsung SDI and Simplo Technologies.

Hopefully no one reading this has a swollen battery in their new iPhone; if you do, I'm sure your neighbourhood Apple Store will help you out.

Sources: Pocketnow, The Verge, Twitter
    I don't see why not. You pay a premium price, perhaps wait in a long line to get the phone, and then have the opportunity to see just how many flaws turn up first.

(scarcasm)

Phone
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus May Have a Swollen Battery Problem

That’s why I’m never gonna be an early adopter when it comes iPhones. You’re better off waiting a few months until all the bugs worked out. But that’s just me.
    Last edited by DRC72; 10-29-2017 at 09:40 AM.