Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Need to transfer minutes to newer, but not to expensive - tracfone. Which one is ..

Feedback Score

Need to transfer minutes to newer, but not to expensive - tracfone. Which one is ..

Which one is the better tracfone for the money? I have no idea and have never owned a smart-phone. There isn't many choices for my area code of 04652.

The LG Destiny (or) LG Rebel 2

They are the same price, but I don't know enough about smart-phones to (decide) know which
    of the two is the better phone?

Can someone help?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by B_O_W View Post
    Which one is the better tracfone for the money? I have no idea and have never owned a smart-phone. There isn't many choices for my area code of 04652. The LG Destiny (or) LG Rebel 2.
    Welcome to the forum. I read your other post in the Nokia section about your situation. Here are my answers:

1. The Destiny is an older phone, came out in 2015, runs Android 5.0, has a 4.5" screen, it uses AT&T service through Tracfone. You can buy it on Amazon for around $46. A phone often costs more when buying from Tracfone web site. The Rebel 2 is newer, came out in 2017, runs Android 6.0, has a 5" screen, it uses Verizon service through Tracfone. It costs around $60, although sometimes it goes on sale at Best Buy, Target, etc.

2. The coverage maps below show zip code 04652 has service from both AT&T and Verizon, so you can use either phone. Coverage maps are not 100% accurate. It's better to ask your friends and neighbors which carrier has better signal in your area.

3. Which phone is better? They have similar specs for camera, internal memory (8GB). I know some people think 8GB is not enough, but if you're a new user, not a power-user who is using the phone for all kinds of apps, that should be enough. So the choice comes down to whether or not you like a smaller phone or a bigger phone.

4. Many of us here like to buy Tracfones on Home Shopping Network (HSN) or QVC, where a phone is bundled with 1-yr of service and around 1200 units in each talk/text/data bucket, often for less than $100. Since you have 8000 minutes accumulated, sounds like the additonal minutes are not important to you.

5. Instead of buying a 1-year card each year for around $100, Tracfone has the add-on option where you can add a year of service (with no additional units) for $50. That option shows up when you buy a time card on Tracfone web site.

6. A smartphone on Tracfone uses the 3-bucket system, there are separate buckets for talk, text, and data. When you transfer service from your current non-smartphone to a smartphone, the number of minutes that you currently have will be put into EACH bucket. Your 8000 minutes of the Nokia will become 8000 talk minutes, and 8000 texts, and 8.0 GB of data.

I hope that helped. I'll be happy to answer more questions.

Name:  Tracfone-coverage-zip-04652-AT&T.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  34.6 KB

Name:  Tracfone-coverage-zip-04652-Verizon.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  36.2 KB
    Last edited by hpham; 10-10-2017 at 01:04 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    2. The coverage maps below show zip code 04652 has service from both AT&T and Verizon, so you can use either phone. Coverage maps are not 100% accurate. It's better to ask your friends and neighbors which carrier has better signal in your area.
    The Verizon map shown is not for Prepaid which is what TracFone runs on. LTE shows Extended Coverage which is not going to be usable either. Verizon has no native coverage in large parts of NE Maine. This is US Cellular territory for CDMA. The TF smartphones do not roam like the basic phones could. There is native AT&T and T-Mobile service shown for the 04652 area. Looks like a GSM phone is needed there.

Name:  NE Maine VZW.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  33.5 KB

Feedback Score
    Tracfone website has a code good til end of October for 20% off phones, TF20OFF which you add in checkout. I haven't used it but there are some older phones like Rebel there.

Feedback Score
    Hello loboheeler ..

I called my cousin in Eastport, Maine and he said US-Cellular just put up a new tower over there and
    coverage is 5 times better then it used to be. My Nokia works in Lubec, but my niece's tf stopped working
    almost 2 years ago. When we type in the zip for Lubec (04652) tracfone site lists phones that should work.
    There is 4 to 6 listed. The only ones that seem decent enough to get, are The LG Rebel II and/or the LG Destiny.
    I'm new to the world of all this smart-phone stuff and don't know anything about GSM phones.

Feedback Score
    Thanks WheelieBoot

Feedback Score
    hpham .. I wrote a long reply, but for some reason it didn't post. Thank You for all your info and help.
    I'll post again later tonight, or tomorrow. I looked in auto-saved data, but there was only
    a later post.

Feedback Score
    TF Rebel 2 is 59.99 at TF site, 20% off if the TF20OFF code works would be about 47.99 i think & free shipping on orders over $20. The earlier Rebel is shown but out of stock at 39.99.

Hope you can get the device you need at a decent price. Good luck!

https://shop.tracfone.com/shop/en/tr...-lg-rebel-2-p5

Thanks WheelieBoot

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I called my cousin in Eastport, Maine and he said US-Cellular just put up a new tower over there and
    coverage is 5 times better then it used to be. My Nokia works in Lubec, but my niece's tf stopped working
    almost 2 years ago. When we type in the zip for Lubec (04652) tracfone site lists phones that should work.
    There is 4 to 6 listed. The only ones that seem decent enough to get, are The LG Rebel II and/or the LG Destiny.
    I'm new to the world of all this smart-phone stuff and don't know anything about GSM phones.
    Here are some things you need to take into consideration:

1. There are two major cell phone technologies: CDMA and GSM (sort of like Coke and Pepsi). In the US: CDMA is used by Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular (and the associated sub-brands of those companies); GSM is used by AT&T, T-Mobile (and the associated sub-brands of those companies). Those two techologies are not compatible.

2. A non-smartphone on Tracfone can "roam". Roaming is when a phone can use the towers of another carrier that their main carrier has contracted with. If you have a non-smarphone Tracfone that uses Verizon and go to an area that has no Verizon coverage, your phone can roam onto the towers of a regional CDMA carrier (or US Cellular). Similarly, a non-smartphone Tracfone that uses AT&T can roam onto towers of a regional GSM carrier (or T-Mobile).

3. A smartphone on Tracfone cannot roam. If you have a CDMA smartphone and go to an area that has no Verizon service, you have no cell phone service at all. That's probably why your non-smartphone Nokia still works in Lubec (because it can roam onto US Cellular), while your niece's phone (a CDMA Tracfone smartphone ?) doesn't work there.

With all that said, you might have to use a GSM TF smartphone in Lubec to make sure you have coverage (from AT&T). I know that you said the TF web site showed both CDMA and GSM phones for Lubec, but I'm not sure a CDMA smartphone will work there because the Verizon map shows that area is "Prepaid roaming".

Feedback Score
    US Cellular service in Maine is not going to work for you, as the TF smartphones can't roam onto it. The relations uses to be better between USC and TF, but not anymore. Even a basic TF has to be brought to a native Verizon area to be activated now, and then can roam on USC.

Here is what I see for GSM phones on the TF website using that ZIP code: ZTE Majesty Pro Z798BL, ZTE Allstar Z818L, LG Destiny L21G, LG Rebel 2 is likely an L58VL CDMA, and not the L57BL GSM. On HSN there is only the LG Sunset L33L for GSM.

Device(s)
    The activated one(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Safelink)
    Feedback Score
    Which one is the better tracfone for the money? I have no idea and have never owned a smart-phone. There isn't many choices for my area code of 04652.

The LG Destiny (or) LG Rebel 2

They are the same price, but I don't know enough about smart-phones to (decide) know which
    of the two is the better phone?

Can someone help?

Thanks!
    My first suggestion is to see WHICH (Tracfone) smartphones are available at your local stores (Walmart, Dollar General, etc) that sell Tracfone. They will only have phones that can "get" service in the area. Also which prepaid carriers are available at your nearest store (from that list)?

Then we'll have more "solid" info to be able to give suggestions on!
    My (Our) Phone History AaG:
    Tracfone (Vz) since '08 < BYOP/Vzw HTC Desire 526 since '16 < Huawei Glory H868C '14 < LG800g '12? < Motorola W376g '08
    Verizon & Sprint '05 < Razr+LG Cosmos 2 & LG Optimus '05
    Alltel & Cingular '03 < A Flip '03
    AT&T '01 < A Flip '01

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Hello loboheeler ..

Look at the thread here on the Moto E4. Read down to the part where they say it is available from US Cellular for $20 without an airtime purchase. If interested impose on your Cousin to purchase it for you. Buy a Universal Tracfone BYOP kit for $1 and the $2 unlock code from the referenced e-bay seller. Then from the Tracfone kit take the SIM for Verizon or AT&T or T-Mobile; whichever you find works best (only the Verizon SIM is multiple use, the GSM ones are one time activatable)..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Look at the thread here on the Moto E4. Read down to the part where they say it is available from US Cellular for $20 without an airtime purchase. If interested impose on your Cousin to purchase it for you. Buy a Universal Tracfone BYOP kit for $1 and the $2 unlock code from the referenced e-bay seller. Then from the Tracfone kit take the SIM for Verizon or AT&T or T-Mobile; whichever you find works best (only the Verizon SIM is multiple use, the GSM ones are one time activatable)..
    The US Cellular price for the E4 is now up to $50. The G4 Play is on sale for $10. Wonder if the G4 is also multi-carrier capable?

The requirement to buy service with a phone is controversial. I don't see a way around this, even using a valid service area.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracbourne View Post
    My first suggestion is to see WHICH (Tracfone) smartphones are available at your local stores (Walmart, Dollar General, etc) that sell Tracfone. They will only have phones that can "get" service in the area. Also which prepaid carriers are available at your nearest store (from that list)?
    Good idea to check out local resources, but difficult in the OP's stated ZIP code. Very northern Maine right on the Canada border. A USC partner store and Walmart in a town about 75 miles away. Most anything else is is in Bangor about 100 miles away.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    TF Rebel 2 is 59.99 at TF site, 20% off if the TF20OFF code works would be about 47.99 i think & free shipping on orders over $20. The earlier Rebel is shown but out of stock at 39.99.
    The Rebel 2 on the website is the Verizon version. The Rebel is the AT&T version. I see the Rebel as being in stock.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast