Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Red Pocket vs Total Wireless VZW network

Feedback Score

Red Pocket vs Total Wireless VZW network

I am looking a getting a Verizon network MVO plan for 4 . I have petty my narrowed it down to the Red Pocket unlimited 3 gb plan (sold via amazon) 4X or the Total Wireless shared plan. Which one of these two providers am I least likely to have glitches with and has the best customer service?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bamx2 View Post
    I am looking a getting a Verizon network MVO plan for 4 . I have petty my narrowed it down to the Red Pocket unlimited 3 gb plan (sold via amazon) 4X or the Total Wireless shared plan. Which one of these two providers am I least likely to have glitches with and has the best customer service?
    I have experience with both.

I would rate them as almost equal for potential glitches and CS, although I might give RP a slightly higher score for CS.

TW includes 25GB, or 6.25GB/line if shared equally, for ~$26/mo/line.

RP includes 3GB/line with unlimited throttle for $21.25/mo/line.

Is saving ~$19/mo (~$4.75/mo x 4) and not having the potential issue of overuse of the shared data by one/some of the 4 on the account worth it to you?

Or is paying an extra ~$19/mo (~$4.75/mo x 4) worth it for the extra total data allowance?
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min 1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1 2013-2016
    Selectel-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM 2016-
    T-Mo-Data 2017-

Ericsson AF738 Jul01-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Feedback Score
    I can't tell you about Red Pocket because I do not have any experience with them. I am considering that same 3GB plan for a relative who doesn't use much data though.

I am on a family plan (2 lines) with TW, and have set up several friends and relatives with TW also. I have been pleased with the CS from TW so far. I have called a couple of times and have found the service fine. Honestly, they are both budget MVNOs and I would think their service would be similar, though I can't state that for sure.

In making a decision, I think data is going to be what you need to look at. Total Wireless shared plans come with generous data allotments, though shared. Extra data if needed is cheap @ $10 for 5GB. RP data on that Amazon plan is hard capped at 3GB per month, and extra data is expensive.

Feedback Score
    I see Boz1 beat me in reply.

With Total wireless on autopay I think for the cost difference I would go with them, assuming there is a need for the data.

I'm pretty sure that plan on Amazon is capped a 3GB, no unlimited 2G after.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by un0335 View Post
    I see Boz1 beat me in reply.

With Total wireless on autopay I think for the cost difference I would go with them, assuming there is a need for the data.

I'm pretty sure that plan on Amazon is capped a 3GB, no unlimited 2G after.
    From the listing, reply from seller dated 7/21/17:

throttled after 3g of LTE or no service?
    Answer:
    It is hard capped after use of the 3GB of LTE service. However, mid-month LTE data add-ons are available for this plan, for those months where you need just a little extra.
    By RedPocket SELLER on July 21, 2017

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I haven't used the $255/yr RP plan, but reports of unlimited throttled data in http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...n-3GB-(-21-25) are why I said that, despite what the Amazon listing indicates. It would be nice if there was consistency between the listing and user reported experience.

Feedback Score
    ZERO issues from Total Wireless.

i was on the $35 plan wtih 6GB (walmart). But I just changed to the $25 talk/text. I had a 5GB data add-on which still sat in my account. I don't use much data, so it saves me $10 a month. I can take that $10 savings to buy another data-on when I run low.

I have FULL SPEED verizon on this phone. We have a new tower in town and I hit 40.7 mbps a couple of days ago. At home, its typically about 9mbps.

i've never had to call Total Wireless for anything.

(I do have a Tracfone Galaxy SKY on Verizon that stays at home and its equally as good service wise)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I haven't used the $255/yr RP plan, but reports of unlimited throttled data in http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...n-3GB-(-21-25) are why I said that, despite what the Amazon listing indicates. It would be nice if there was consistency between the listing and user reported experience.
    Yes, some consistency would be good. Maybe an actual user of that plan will chime in here.

Quote Originally Posted by greg4android View Post
    ZERO issues from Total Wireless.

i was on the $35 plan wtih 6GB (walmart). But I just changed to the $25 talk/text. I had a 5GB data add-on which still sat in my account. I don't use much data, so it saves me $10 a month. I can take that $10 savings to buy another data-on when I run low.

I have FULL SPEED verizon on this phone. We have a new tower in town and I hit 40.7 mbps a couple of days ago. At home, its typically about 9mbps.

i've never had to call Total Wireless for anything.

(I do have a Tracfone Galaxy SKY on Verizon that stays at home and its equally as good service wise)
    Yes, this is another TW plus over RP, non-throttled data speeds. RP is going to be limited to 5/2. I still think the RP $255 annual plan is a great deal, as long as you don't need additional data. I think it's niche is more in the single line user though. Those TW shared plans are a great deal, and hard to beat!

Device(s)
    Sammy SCH-i600 on PagePlus
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Been on the Red Pocket plan with 3GB via Amazon for a few months. Just got around to creating an account today. Screen shows (copied and pasted):

Wireless Number: xxxxxxxxxx [redacted]
    Account Status: Active
    Account Plan: Annual 3GB Plan
    Plan Expiration Date : November 2nd, 2017
    Available Voice Minutes: Unlimited
    Available Text Messages: Unlimited
    Available High Speed Data (MB): 2692.67
    Available Reduced Speed Data (MB): Unlimited

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by un0335 View Post
    Yes, some consistency would be good. Maybe an actual user of that plan will chime in here.

Well, there's an actual user chiming in, thanks fponzani! That is certainly encouraging news.

Feedback Score
    I have the TW shared plan for 4 phones. We never get even close to 1/2 usage of the allowed 25GB. More like 1/3. So that unlimited 2G data is not that great of a deal. Especially when I can buy 5GB of high-speed data for $10 (not expiring).

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    I have the TW shared plan for 4 phones. We never get even close to 1/2 usage of the allowed 25GB. More like 1/3. So that unlimited 2G data is not that great of a deal. Especially when I can buy 5GB of high-speed data for $10 (not expiring).
    In that case, if you aren't using even 1/3 of the TW included data, want to save ~$19/mo, and if having the data pools separate would be desirable, then the Red Pocket $255/yr ($21.25/mo) plan would be good. If none of that matters much to you, then pay ~$19/mo more and stick with TW. It's good to have choices!

Feedback Score
    Actually, I would rather keep the lines separated vs shared data and the Red Pocket allotment of the 3GB is enough (but Iwould like to know whether is data is hard capped. I guess I'll email them for verification),.What about Red Pocket customer service, better or worse than Total Wireless ?

Feedback Score
    that's the beauty of TW. That 5GB/$10 that DOES NOT EXPIRE is just a great value added feature!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Actually, I would rather keep the lines separated vs shared data and the Red Pocket allotment of the 3GB is enough (but Iwould like to know whether is data is hard capped. I guess I'll email them for verification),.What about Red Pocket customer service, better or worse than Total Wireless ?
    Good luck getting the correct answer from a Red pocket CSR, lol! That's about the same as getting a correct answer from a TW (TFW) CSR! CS is approximately equal, with possibly a slight advantage going to RP.

It has been verified at the thread I linked above, as well as by fponzani in this thread, that data for the Red Pocket $255/yr plan after 3GB will be throttled, not hard cut off, despite what the Amazon listing indicates. But without trying it myself, I can't tell you what will happen in real life usage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast