Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Certain apps don't connect on mobile data (WiFi works fine)

Feedback Score

Certain apps don't connect on mobile data (WiFi works fine)

I'm experiencing an issue with the "WatchESPN" application on my Cricket device. This app worked great for years until about two months ago.

The app works perfectly fine via wifi, but appears to have no internet connection once I switch to mobile data. Even more curious is that if I connect to a VPN while on my mobile network, the app works just fine.

I tested WatchESPN on my wife's phone (same phone, same network) and experienced the same thing. On Wifi, works just fine. On mobile, it appears to have no connection. I've tried older version of the app and the same issue persists.

Could someone on the Cricket network perhaps test the WatchESPN app by streaming a video? Surely Cricket is not blocking something on their end...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisulm View Post
    I'm experiencing an issue with the "WatchESPN" application on my Cricket device. This app worked great for years until about two months ago.

The app works perfectly fine via wifi, but appears to have no internet connection once I switch to mobile data. Even more curious is that if I connect to a VPN while on my mobile network, the app works just fine.

I tested WatchESPN on my wife's phone (same phone, same network) and experienced the same thing. On Wifi, works just fine. On mobile, it appears to have no connection. I've tried older version of the app and the same issue persists.

Could someone on the Cricket network perhaps test the WatchESPN app by streaming a video? Surely Cricket is not blocking something on their end...
    There is no reason for them to block you. Either there is a setting in the app or it's permissions from a recent upgrade that are causing it, or it's a bug in a new update.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Are you on the unlimited 2 plan? I think it limits video to 1.5Mb, and maybe WatchESPN doesn't consider that fast enough? Actually, along those lines, if you're not on unlimited 2, have you tried turning off the Steam More setting, and seeing if that makes a difference?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenhal View Post
    There is no reason for them to block you. Either there is a setting in the app or it's permissions from a recent upgrade that are causing it, or it's a bug in a new update.

I'm fairly confident that there's no permissions set that would block the app. I've rolled back and tried several versions of the app from the days when it was working.

And I tried it on a completely different phone and it also appears to have the same issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acullum View Post
    Are you on the unlimited 2 plan? I think it limits video to 1.5Mb, and maybe WatchESPN doesn't consider that fast enough? Actually, along those lines, if you're not on unlimited 2, have you tried turning off the Steam More setting, and seeing if that makes a difference?
    I'm not on the unlimited 2 plan. Disabling Stream More was one of the first things I tried. Unfortunately, no luck.

Feedback Score
    For my sanity's sake, would someone mind testing the WatchESPN app? I can't for the life of me figure out why it would be blocked like this on two different phones.

Feedback Score
    The live ESPN feed on Watch ESPN works fine for me on wifi and on cellular data if I turn wifi off. Works on both a Nexus 5 and a Galaxy S7. I've had similar problems with random apps in the past, but generally seemed to solve them by going to Network Settings Reset. Good luck!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

Certain apps don't connect on mobile data (WiFi works fine)

Works fine on iPhone 6s + over LTE. Maybe try resetting your network settings... *shrugs*

Also check your data settings for apps. On iPhone you can turn off cellular data for apps.. etc..

Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1507789360.390023.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  47.3 KB

Feedback Score
    For my sanity's sake, would someone mind testing the WatchESPN app? I can't for the life of me figure out why it would be blocked like this on two different phones.
    looks like someone replied to your post here - https://www.reddit.com/r/CricketWire...gb2/watchespn/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    looks like someone replied to your post
    I was happy with that response until I tried it on the second phone and experienced the same thing. Glad to at least get further confirmation that it works. It just doesn't make sense that it's happening on two different phones under two different accounts.

Feedback Score
    I'm fairly confident that there's no permissions set that would block the app. I've rolled back and tried several versions of the app from the days when it was working.

And I tried it on a completely different phone and it also appears to have the same issue.
    Not sure for that app, but there are permissions you can disable for network access on android and iPhone has a similar feature. But this sounds Moore like an app issue.

Feedback Score
    Not sure for that app, but there are permissions you can disable for network access on android and iPhone has a similar feature. But this sounds Moore like an app issue.

I am on android. Here is what I get when I install the app and run it on LTE. I even signed into my provider. I'd say it's something with the app on android not working right.

Feedback Score
    I am on android. Here is what I get when I install the app and run it on LTE. I even signed into my provider. I'd say it's something with the app on android not working right.
    YES, thank you! This is exactly what it looks like for me! I can log in to my provider, but nothing loads.
    I've installed several prior versions of the WatchESPN app (falling back to a version that I know as working), but it still does the same thing. My phone has been running the same android version for at least 12 months, so nothing changed on the android end that I know of.

Feedback Score
    Are these phones rooted or have custom ROMs?
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

Feedback Score
    YES, thank you! This is exactly what it looks like for me! I can log in to my provider, but nothing loads.
    I've installed several prior versions of the WatchESPN app (falling back to a version that I know as working), but it still does the same thing. My phone has been running the same android version for at least 12 months, so nothing changed on the android end that I know of.
    try clearing your cache & cookies then delete the app, restart your phone and download the app again, now restart phone
    and try logging in and see if it works.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast