Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Without Borders Now Subject to 5GB Data Limit

Device(s)
    iPhone, Android, S60 and many more.
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (Feb 2001-2012, 2013-Present), Verizon LTE 2011-2013, MetroPCS 2013
    Feedback Score
    Is it really all that surprising? T-Mobile intended it to be for those people that travel to Canada and Mexico not to be used for extended periods. Sure you can use 5GB pretty quickly but if you're on vacation or on a business trip to either 5GB should be more than enough. I'll be in Canada next year for about a week and I don't see 5GB being an issue at all even with plenty of music streaming and photo uploads.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    twitter | Facebook

Feedback Score
    It feels like a step backwards and T-Mobile taking away something many customers seemed to really like
    """new T-Mobile customer"""

Device(s)
    Le Pro3 / Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    What if they started at 3 then announced an increase to 5? Everyone would be cheering.

They broke the cardinal rule though .. never offer too good of a deal to begin as any backtracking, while still good, will always be viewed as a negative.

The irony is striking.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by caddypower View Post
    It feels like a step backwards and T-Mobile taking away something many customers seemed to really like
    T-Mobile tired easily of all of the money they were paying to Canadian and Mexican carriers. If their customers need more that 5GB, they can buy a SIM card from a local carrier and pay for that themselves. Great move by T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    High use of data in a plan specifically marketed as unlimited is neither abuse nor excessive.
    Since it's T-Mobile's network and T-Mobile sets the rules, they determined that they are aiming to “prevent usage beyond the intent of the product"

If their customers don't like it, they'll just need to take their service elsewhere.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Since it's T-Mobile's network and T-Mobile sets the rules, they determined that they are aiming to “prevent usage beyond the intent of the product"

If their customers don't like it, they'll just need to take their service elsewhere.
    That's fine and all true. I was just pointing out the use of two inapplicable words ("abuse" and "excessive") in regards to mere use of an advertised product feature.

The only thing being "abused" was the English language.

T-Mobile of course is the right to change their plans and features. But they do like to gain customers rather than drive them away, so it is reasonable to assume that they figured this change won't make people flee in a huff.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by actinic View Post
    What if they started at 3 then announced an increase to 5? Everyone would be cheering.

They broke the cardinal rule though .. never offer too good of a deal to begin as any backtracking, while still good, will always be viewed as a negative.

The irony is striking.
    A couple of years ago... it was text and data at 128kbps only 'included'.
    Then they added on the calling + high speed data (of course, basic plans increased in cost, only available on newer SC plans).
    Then all new plans became the more expensive TMobile One plans... then they cut back on service.

Basically a form of getting more for more and eventually paying more for less.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score

T-Mobile of course is the right to change their plans and features. But they do like to gain customers rather than drive them away, so it is reasonable to assume that they figured this change won't make people flee in a huff.
    Especially since they have a history of listening to their customers and changing unpopular moves, most recently the Apple watch 2. Originally it was supposed to only get throttled speeds, people complained and all of a sudden the Apple watch2 will now get full lte speeds on TMobile. This isn't the only example of it happening either. John has always said he listens, and history has shown he will at least listen to customer gripes. I say if people are put off by this or it negatively affects them let John and TMobile know, tweet em, email em. You never know, if enough do they could change it some.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    5gb is too much... way too much.. if you are vacationing outside the US. if anybody uses more than 1gb, in reality they are not vacationing... they are living abroad. so good for that one. (ex. in cancun I used merely 50mb, maybe 100mb, same for mazatlan.. like 20mb... now thats a vacation !! )

And i will confess I have done some bad stuff, specially in the mexican border... when my data is slow in the US i just switch to Telcel or Movistar and start data flying again. California and texas borders mainly.

Los Angeles - San Diego - Tijuana / D.F. - Puebla
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / iusacell MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cr0w View Post
    5gb is too much... way too much.. if you are vacationing outside the US. if anybody uses more than 1gb, in reality they are not vacationing... they are living abroad. so good for that one. (ex. in cancun I used merely 50mb, maybe 100mb, same for mazatlan.. like 20mb... now thats a vacation !! ).
    But that 5 GB is just the limit T-Mobile is willing to pay for when in Canada or Mexico.
    The average use for travelers to Canada and Mexico could be much less, but T-Mobile is being generous and giving away free data. If you completely decide not to use hotel wifi while vacationing then one can easily use 5GB or more. I don't use hotel wifi because 1.) I don't know who setup the AP nor am I confident that the AP hasn't been compromised. 2.) Slow and spotty. It's worse than slow. I would rather use a cellular connection which is secure and generally better than hotel wifi.

What data (or little) I use while I'm out and about, is made up for the usage I do use when I have down time.
    Then there's the audio/video streaming and Google Maps when I'm driving in either Canada or Mexico...

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    For me when I'm in Canada and Mexico I'm looking at the babes (when the wife's not looking&#128513 so 5gb is fine for my use. I do see how for some it isn't enough though.

Either way T-Mobile is working well for me so no reason to leave them. Saw some posts that mentioned leaving over it but to me that's not a good reason to leave if everything else works as planned

The part that does worry me is the change aspect and signs of moving back to carrier status
    Last edited by themanhimself; 10-12-2017 at 03:48 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I’m not sure how this is a surprise? The whole “Mobile without borders” was a successful marketing ploy that investors knew was not viable permanently.

I’m sure a bunch of people used much more data than anticipated, and the ROI wasn’t there.

People know the tricks. Sign up for T-Mobile for a month or two before they go on an extended trip out of the country and cancel when they get back.

Verizon has backtracked on their roaming allotments as well.

I’d rather see that roaming money spent on their native network anyways!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cr0w View Post
    5gb is too much... way too much.. if you are vacationing outside the US. if anybody uses more than 1gb, in reality they are not vacationing... they are living abroad. so good for that one. (ex. in cancun I used merely 50mb, maybe 100mb, same for mazatlan.. like 20mb... now thats a vacation !! )
    I enjoy turning my phone off while outside the country on vacation. My last 7 day cruise it was turned off and in my backpack.

It's liberating............

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I respectfully disagree that merely using a service that you paid for is "abuse".
    “Abuse” is a strong word for someone that inadvertently goes a bit over. I was talking abuse as in using hundreds of GB’s or something. That’s why I also said the 5 GB limit seems a bit low. It is roaming and costs them extra so id much rather a cap than a daily charge etc. Still, I don’t think they should be penalizing existing customers; that’s probably my biggest issue with it.

Feedback Score

Mobile Without Borders Now Subject to 5GB Data Limit

They still have unlimited edit the T-Mobile one plus International plan

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast