Thread: Voip lag

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Voip lag

I know many of us are using FP with gv and/or other voip implementations.

Discovered an odd lag issue with my set up.

Phone: Axon 7
    voip client - groundwire, bria and csipsimple

Test setup:
    I configured 2 extensions within the local pbx (freepbx 14 distro). One extension for the softphone on the pc (zoiper), the other for the cell phone.

Called from one extension to the other (same results regardless which is the callee/caller).

Putting each phone to each ear, one would expect audio to reach each ear at the same time. This was not the case. The audio reaching the axon7 was always lagging. If I tapped the axon microphone, it was immediately heard on the softphone headset. Doing the opposite resulted in a noticeable lag. This was consistent between the 3 android sip apps. I did the same test with a galaxy s4 (android 5.01 google play edition) and moto e lte (xt1526). Surprisingly, even though the other 2 phones have lesser hardware, lag wasn't as significant. Still noticeable but less.

There's a newer resurrection remix build for the axon (as recent as 2 weeks ago). When I have time I'll update the phone and try again. I expect better results.

Doing a direct echo test to the pbx (*43) from the pc softphone results in practically instant response. On the android lag is noticeable, again with the axon having the worst. PC tests were done via wired ethernet connection. Same results were achieved on wifi, so that rules that out. Only conclusion I can draw is the way the inbound channel is handled in android results in some sort of additional processing that delays the audio.

Thoughts?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    I know many of us are using FP with gv and/or other voip implementations.

Discovered an odd lag issue with my set up.

Phone: Axon 7
    voip client - groundwire, bria and csipsimple

Test setup:
    I configured 2 extensions within the local pbx (freepbx 14 distro). One extension for the softphone on the pc (zoiper), the other for the cell phone.

Called from one extension to the other (same results regardless which is the callee/caller).

Putting each phone to each ear, one would expect audio to reach each ear at the same time. This was not the case. The audio reaching the axon7 was always lagging. If I tapped the axon microphone, it was immediately heard on the softphone headset. Doing the opposite resulted in a noticeable lag. This was consistent between the 3 android sip apps. I did the same test with a galaxy s4 (android 5.01 google play edition) and moto e lte (xt1526). Surprisingly, even though the other 2 phones have lesser hardware, lag wasn't as significant. Still noticeable but less.

There's a newer resurrection remix build for the axon (as recent as 2 weeks ago). When I have time I'll update the phone and try again. I expect better results.

Doing a direct echo test to the pbx (*43) from the pc softphone results in practically instant response. On the android lag is noticeable, again with the axon having the worst. PC tests were done via wired ethernet connection. Same results were achieved on wifi, so that rules that out. Only conclusion I can draw is the way the inbound channel is handled in android results in some sort of additional processing that delays the audio.

Thoughts?
    FreedomPop global or LTE sim? If non LTE your pings are gonna be high no solution for that but to switch to LTE sim.

I use VoIP directly on AT&T and it’s still not the best both android or iPhone.

Keep in mind your ping/jitter on a home connection is going to be a lot less than on a cellular connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 7 128GB Gold
    867-5309 Line: LG G Stylo 3 Plus

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^No freedompop sim involved, all the tests were done on the local lan. Pbx is hosted on the local lan too. Lan is gigabit based. Ping to the pbx is <1ms. Not sure how to measure jitter. I'm just surprised by the inconsistency between the inbound/outbound channels.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    ^^No freedompop sim involved, all the tests were done on the local lan. Pbx is hosted on the local lan too. Lan is gigabit based. Ping to the pbx is <1ms. Not sure how to measure jitter. I'm just surprised by the inconsistency between the inbound/outbound channels.
    Maybe some setting on your pbx? As that certainly doesn’t sound right. I’ve had my share of lag but never when local.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As I mentioned, lag was only on the android devices, not on the windows softphones. Reread the OP

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score

Voip lag

As I mentioned, lag was only on the android devices, not on the windows softphones. Reread the OP
    I’ve already read the OP

Also getting this issue when using your local IP and not your public IP correct? If your using your public IP it would be the same as being outside of your network if there’s any firewall issues.

Is the windows PC wired or wireless? If wired , maybe try wireless and see how it reacts.

My FreePBX setup works perfectly fine on my iPhone 7, ZTE ZMax Pro, LG Tribute 5, LG G5, and a few other lower end android devices without issues and my FreePBX system is located about 50 miles away. I use zoipper on android.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The whole voip thing on the cell phone is more of an experiment than anything else. At home, everything works correctly through the pbx without lag. With the axon7, it was puzzling why the return portion of the conversation had lag while the forward part did not.

Reinstalling stock software is not an option I want to consider. There's too many other things wrong with it to justify returning back. With los/rr responsiveness and battery life is better, not to mention all the customizations.

There's been on ongoing audio issue with los and axon 7 - specifically, ear piece audio isn't initialized each and every time a call is placed. When los was originally made available for the axon7, volume levels were incorrect, audio distorted. The build i'm running has good levels, but audio initialized isn't perfect. Often times I need to toggle speaker phone on/off immediately after placing a call to get audio in the ear piece. Considering this, maybe some improvements in the audio dept have been made with the newer builds.

It's interesting to note, performing a similar test using hangouts results in minimal lag. Should be noted, test is similar but not identical. Call is going out from the android phone to gv, then routing to a callcentric DID which is then routed to CC extension configured as a trunk in pbx, finally routed to the pc softphone.