Thread: Has anyone ported out of Airvoice lately?

Feedback Score

Has anyone ported out of Airvoice lately?

Has anyone ported out of Airvoice lately? Thinking of jumping ship for one of Red Pocket's annual plan and wanting to make sure I would be able to port my number in a reasonable amount of time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Robynsus View Post
    Has anyone ported out of Airvoice lately? Thinking of jumping ship for one of Red Pocket's annual plan and wanting to make sure I would be able to port my number in a reasonable amount of time.
    I ported from Airvoice to Google Voice about a week ago. I initiated the port with Google Voice, and it was still "in progress" 24 hours later, so I called Airvoice support to see what was going on and the CSR said "Ok, I've just released the number, it's now in Google's hands." Later that day I got an email from Google saying the port was complete.

I hear ports to Google Voice generally take 24-48 hours so it seemed reasonable. I'm not sure whether I needed to contact Airvoice or not, though. Fortunately, I was only on hold for a couple minutes that time (compared to the hour+ hold times I've gotten used to recently).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cacophony555 View Post
    I ported from Airvoice to Google Voice about a week ago. I initiated the port with Google Voice, and it was still "in progress" 24 hours later, so I called Airvoice support to see what was going on and the CSR said "Ok, I've just released the number, it's now in Google's hands." Later that day I got an email from Google saying the port was complete.

I hear ports to Google Voice generally take 24-48 hours so it seemed reasonable. I'm not sure whether I needed to contact Airvoice or not, though. Fortunately, I was only on hold for a couple minutes that time (compared to the hour+ hold times I've gotten used to recently).
    Thank you! Can I ask if you are with another provider already and which one? I am thinking about porting with Google Voice so I don't have to worry about losing the number, but somewhat hesitant and not sure if it works as well with all providers. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Robynsus View Post
    Thank you! Can I ask if you are with another provider already and which one? I am thinking about porting with Google Voice so I don't have to worry about losing the number, but somewhat hesitant and not sure if it works as well with all providers. Thanks!
    I too really liked the idea of being able to switch carriers without have to worry about number ports going forward. I'm currently using Red Pocket, which has very generous $10 and $15 plans. So far it seems as good as Airvoice in terms of speed, signal strength, and voice quality.

The drawbacks I've found with the Google Voice approach are:

1. Increased latency during calls. From my testing it seemed to add about 150ms.
    2. If you're calling out and want the person you're calling to see your Google number you need to remember to call using the Google Voice app, at least with the iPhone. Android might have better integration with Google Voice.

Other than that, everything seems pretty good! The way it works, it should be fine with any provider.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info, cacophony555!

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    My daughter ported to PureTalk from AV, it took just minutes.

Feedback Score
    I had two lines on Google Voice and we starting having issues with texts being lost or not coming through. I don't know if it was GV or something else. So I ported them out to Cricket. It was really confusing for my family to understand how GV worked.

Also when we bought iphones recently I was confused which number was supposed to work with imessage and was concerned that would be a problem.

Feedback Score
    Ported out of Airvoice to H2o successfully. Initiated the request from H2o website and nothing happened for 2 days. Called Airvoice CS and number was released while i was on the phone with them. Wait was around 8 minutes or so.

Then waited an hour, nothing happened. Chatted with H2o on their website and they activated my number while chat session was in progress. Funded service from callingmart.com RTR and everything is good to go.

I use GV for my main number but it's still good to be able to keep existing number.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the update on porting out, hrioo. Sorry to hear it was such a hastle.

I am about to go for one of the RP deals (dragging my feet for unknown reasons; mostly being busy), but I don't think there would be much RP customer service, which could be needed to get the Airvoice port out.

Feedback Score
    Ported out of AV early this month & the only hold-up was AV not releasing the number even I called ahead to confirm port information & asked that they release my number before initiating the port