Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Hotspot Changes Rescinded

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score

Hotspot Changes Rescinded

As I mentioned, and some wrongly claimed I did not have knowledge of, there was intense debate inside AT&T. I can now share why. AT&T's quarterly call confirmed that hotspot growth was a key reason AT&T didn't have net losses in subscribers last quarter (as noted on their quarterly call). Ending unlimited data on hotspots would impact that, despite the capacity concerns - smartphone and tablet data use is hitting parity with routers and hotspots.

Netgear also was clearly unhappy with ramping up M1 AT&T production only to lose unlimited plans the same day. Other product participants such as my firm raised similar concerns across relevant channels. I won't share the passionate 11th Hour Hail Mary public open letter we penned, but it started off with this unlicensed shot.

The rest and independent confirmation is best covered on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ATT/comment...internal_memo/

There are other reasons that walk too closely to NDAs to share here. These are just the main reasons that the plans lived to die another day.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+
    Carrier(s)
    VERIZON (used to be Alltel)
    Feedback Score
    So i'm confused what is going to change then? Thanks for your info btw..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    As I mentioned, and some wrongly claimed I did not have knowledge of, there was intense debate inside AT&T. I can now share why. AT&T's quarterly call confirmed that hotspot growth was a key reason AT&T didn't have net losses in subscribers last quarter (as noted on their quarterly call). Ending unlimited data on hotspots would impact that, despite the capacity concerns - smartphone and tablet data use is hitting parity with routers and hotspots.

Netgear also was clearly unhappy with ramping up M1 AT&T production only to lose unlimited plans the same day. Other product participants such as my firm raised similar concerns across relevant channels. I won't share the passionate 11th Hour Hail Mary public open letter we penned, but it started off with this unlicensed shot.

The rest and independent confirmation is best covered on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ATT/comment...internal_memo/

There are other reasons that walk too closely to NDAs to share here. These are just the main reasons that the plans lived to die another day.
    Thanks for the update. I guess the freakout cleared out a lot of unite explores before the new model was released.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coldknob View Post
    Thanks for the update. I guess the freakout cleared out a lot of unite explores before the new model was released.
    Probably by design
    ATT 500GB WHPI /AT&T Unlimited Plus Multi Line:2015-Present
    Verizon: 2008-2016 (UDP)
    Sprint: 2008-2014
    Alltel:2005-2008
    Cingular:2006

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jestexman View Post
    So i'm confused what is going to change then? Thanks for your info btw..
    As of right now, according to the updated version of the memo, nothing is going to change at this time. Obviously things could change in the future, as AT&T is carefully monitoring this segment. Getting a hotspot on a line of service is something you should still want to do quickly, provided you depend on that functionality (as with any plan that offers an excellent deal). But there are no plans currently to take the plan away.

Do keep in mind that while AT&T was generous in giving people advanced notice this go around, a plan like Unlimited Plus could stop being offered (or retooled) at any time. Signing a contract is the only real defense you have against changes. So an $89 Nighthawk M1 (launching tomorrow) is my best advice to go grab.

Quote Originally Posted by coldknob View Post
    Yes, yes it did. I came very close to picking up another Unite Explore, to the point they had the IMEI on my account - but hadn't completed the sale - when I got the Nighthawk memo. Corp store team were pros and simply reallocated the order, no restocking fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedius View Post
    Probably by design
    I wish. This has been one of the most stressful two week periods of my career.

Feedback Score
    Unbelievable . . . no wonder AT&T's stock has floundered the past two weeks!

Feedback Score
    I thought they had originally said December 5th on customer bills about changes. I didn't understand where the panic came from to have it added by the end of October if they had said December.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by johnothy View Post
    I thought they had originally said December 5th on customer bills about changes. I didn't understand where the panic came from to have it added by the end of October if they had said December.
    The panic was several factors. The exact working of the bill statement left open that AT&T might have terminated lines of service with hotspots or WHPI on them - sans grandfathering.

Then AT&T initially announced October 27 as a stop sale date. Only after that caused panic did they realize they violated their own guidelines, and pushed the date back to January 3 - giving 60 days notice. Then they clarified that plan codes were going to change for new accounts on October 28, and plans set up before that had until January 3.

And that was before people like me on up to Netgear HQ unloaded holy fury on AT&T and got them to backtrack.

Must be clear, I'm not convinced AT&T is done. I think the Dec 5 date mistake was a good reason for them to take a step back and reanalyze. But if they try again, they'll plan it out and have one cohesive statement. So I would still sign a 2-year and vote with your wallet in support of hotspots on Unlimited Plus.

If hundreds of thousands of people buy Nighthawk M1's and add them to Unlimited Plus - they'll probably keep offering it.

Feedback Score
    Thanks hatoncat for your efforts! I ordered a Nighthawk and added it to my unlimited plan for $20!

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score

lets see the letter bro

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Hey...I'm confused about this. Was there some talk about AT&T removing mobile hotspot off of phones, even if you have the Unlimited Plus plan??

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I've been hearing so many rumors and one has been that att wants to do away with all hotspots unless you pay up. An employee friend told me he's hearing some crazy stuff like the $50 1gb msa plan tacking on a fee to hot-spot. For 1gb that plan is expensive enough. He says their debt load is causing them to try and come up with creative ways to charge more. He also said they are instructed to push dtv and now with all the bundles and cord cutting has panicked them with how much they paid for dtv. His exact words for a while now have been that att has bitten off more than they can chew.

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterym View Post
    lets see the letter bro
    crickets...

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterym View Post
    crickets...
    No, you're just on my ignore list. Nobody is going to risk contracts or jobs to post a memo. One person posted an earlier version and frankly gave AT&T HQ enough data to fire that individual.

While I'm not breaking NDAs sharing this info, I'm also not going to take it to the next level and do exactly that... or betray confidences with partners. I am going to clear the name that some of this forum have repeatedly tried to sully - and I did so.

To those who are confused by all the back and forth, you're not alone. This has been one of the most chaotic aborted changes in history... and I don't think we're done yet. AT&T has left the memo on myCSP with the dates removed. There will likely be some changes to come, so getting grandfathered now continues to be my advice. Especially with the (gigabit) Nighthawk M1 only $49.99 to $89.99 on a 2-year contract.

Personally - and I must stress this is just the feedback I've sent up the chain - I've given advice upstream on how to modify Unlimited Plus to make it sustainable. I hope they heed it, because it would ensure new customers can keep enjoying hotspots with unlimited data for a long time to come.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by michko View Post
    Hey...I'm confused about this. Was there some talk about AT&T removing mobile hotspot off of phones, even if you have the Unlimited Plus plan??
    No. There has been no talk of that. The talk has revolved around changes/prohibitions towards physical hotspots - which to-date on Unlimited plans have been exempt from the 10GB cap.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast