Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Hotspot Changes Rescinded

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Such a policy does exist.

I had worked for At&t/Cingular for almost 10 years. For example, when the iPhone was first introduced it was the first device that required a data plan. Several customers attempted to buy iPhones and not advise At&t that they were using one, betting that their older non-smartphones would still show active trying to avoid a data plan. At&t could automatically detect the iPhone on the account without a data plan and could add a data plan as required for that type of device. Some folks were not automatically switched, but At&t made it clear that it had the right in the Terms and Conditions of Service and could do so.

Not really different from the scenario being debated in the past few posts.
    Yea but couldn’t I continue to use my $20 unlimited car connect plan in a Mobley even in the house with an adapter let’s say? No way to get detected. Not that I would we have Comcast wired internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macher52 View Post
    Yea but couldn’t I continue to use my $20 unlimited car connect plan in a Mobley even in the house with an adapter let’s say? No way to get detected. Not that I would we have Comcast wired internet.
    Sure. AT&T didn't put anything in the Connected Car terms prohibiting this use case. It's why the Mobley is on permanent hiatus, and also probably why the Samsung hotspot is MIA.

The Mobley across the room running DirecTV NOW in our office is nodding in agreement. Since it only sends data from DTVN, it's all Sponsored Data, and thus is never even deprioritized because it never hits 22GB of non-sponsored use. For $20/month (plus streaming service), we have unlimited streaming TV in our office - way less than what Comcast would charge for a business TV feed.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Feedback Score
    I would like to put one of my Mobley SIMs into my iPad air. However, the iPad takes the nano SIM and the Mobley uses the Micro and cutting down the Mobley SIM is something I do NOT want to do.

Has anyone asked AT&T to provision a different sized SIM for their Mobley account? If so, what's the process?

Thank you

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    Sure. AT&T didn't put anything in the Connected Car terms prohibiting this use case. It's why the Mobley is on permanent hiatus, and also probably why the Samsung hotspot is MIA.

The Mobley across the room running DirecTV NOW in our office is nodding in agreement. Since it only sends data from DTVN, it's all Sponsored Data, and thus is never even deprioritized because it never hits 22GB of non-sponsored use. For $20/month (plus streaming service), we have unlimited streaming TV in our office - way less than what Comcast would charge for a business TV feed.
    Can I still get a Mobley somewhere? I have a tablet line i could put in on. Or does it matter to AT&T if it’s sponsored data or not? This would be the only reason I did it; I’m using my Unite Explore for all tv viewing needs but if it looks better on my end to have non sponsored data I’d consider it. I have this irrational fear they’ll take my home internet away from me so I want to l look good

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You can only have one SIM card active per device mobile #. The Mobley does have a phone # assigned to it

Sent from my SM-P900 using HoFo mobile app
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post

I’ve been using the Mobley a lot lately. I was actually ready to sell it. Wasn’t until changed job duties it’s coming in handy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpainter View Post
    I would like to put one of my Mobley SIMs into my iPad air. However, the iPad takes the nano SIM and the Mobley uses the Micro and cutting down the Mobley SIM is something I do NOT want to do.

Has anyone asked AT&T to provision a different sized SIM for their Mobley account? If so, what's the process?
    I simply walked into an AT&T store and said that I'd like to swap my micro SIM for a Nano SIM and it took about 3 minutes, no questions, no charge. I think that they have started charging $5 for it recently though.

Do note that an iPad is in a different category than a hotspot so technically you would be in violation of the ToS, however AT&T hasn't been enforcing this (so far at least.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nocaps View Post
    I simply walked into an AT&T store and said that I'd like to swap my micro SIM for a Nano SIM and it took about 3 minutes, no questions, no charge. I think that they have started charging $5 for it recently though.

Do note that an iPad is in a different category than a hotspot so technically you would be in violation of the ToS, however AT&T hasn't been enforcing this (so far at least.)
    Thank you Nocaps for the response. It is much appreciated.

Just to clarify, you took your Mobley's SIM into an ATT store and they made the swap for you. When you said "no questions", didn't they ask you what IMEI number or phone number the SIM was for?

Is your Mobley line on a stand-alone account or is it a device on an Unlimited Plus account?

Feedback Score
    I probably gave them the phone number on the account or whatever, I don't remember. The plan was the $20 CCU standalone. What I meant by 'no questions' is that they didn't care about any of the details of the plan or what devices were involved, they just gave me what I asked for (no interrogation under hot lights as so many on the forum seem to expect )

Feedback Score
    I probably gave them the phone number on the account or whatever, I don't remember. The plan was the $20 CCU standalone. What I meant by 'no questions' is that they didn't care about any of the details of the plan or what devices were involved, they just gave me what I asked for (no interrogation under hot lights as so many on the forum seem to expect )
    Ah . . . glad to know that no extreme measures were taken! I believe I will give this a try.

Did you take the original SIM into the store with you? Was it a corporate store or can just an authorized retailer do this also.

Thanks for your help.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpainter View Post
    Ah . . . glad to know that no extreme measures were taken! I believe I will give this a try.

Did you take the original SIM into the store with you? Was it a corporate store or can just an authorized retailer do this also.
    I gave them the old SIM back but I don't think that's mandatory, either way it will be deactivated. I used a corporate store, not sure if it matters. Of course any transaction is easier if you get someone who actually knows what they are doing, but as we know that's pretty much the luck of the draw.

Feedback Score
    I gave them the old SIM back but I don't think that's mandatory, either way it will be deactivated. I used a corporate store, not sure if it matters. Of course any transaction is easier if you get someone who actually knows what they are doing, but as we know that's pretty much the luck of the draw.
    Corporate stores don’t charge retailers do.

Feedback Score
    I thought I read a while back that all stores were to begin charging $5 for replacement SIMs, but not certain.

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score

Corporate stores charge $5 unless support or similar requests a replacement SIM.
    iPhone 7+ (Qualcomm) Georgetown, TX ........................... Spectrum 300/20, $94.99/month

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses on obtaining a different sized SIM for my Mobley line.

I don't care about SIM charges, I just want a "no fuss no muss" experience with a successful outcome

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast