Thread: Cheap phone service for 2 week Caribbean cruise?

Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score

Cheap phone service for 2 week Caribbean cruise?

going to the Caribbean (Antigua and US Virgin Islands) in Nov.
    the data plans on the ship are way too expensive.

i'm currently using FreedomPop's free cdma (Sprint) service as my main phone.
    and Freedompop's free 3in1 Global LTE sim as my backup.
    to my knowledge, neither works in the Caribbean.

Recommendations on what to get?
    thx!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    I recommend no cell plan. Enjoy your vacation and you'll be surprised how good it feels not to be tethered. If you must, pay for the cheap social media plan on the cruise that costs like $5 per day that gives you access to Whatsapp, Facebook, twitter and a few others. Just enough to keep in touch with family back home, but not enough to surf the web and stream. Also on the islands there's wifi in most bars and restaurants. Get a google voice number and use it with Hangouts to make free calls over wifi to the States.
    Get $25 credit by switching to Cricket Wireless! Then $250 by referring others! Same AT&T signal! Click here!

Device(s)
    Many!
    Carrier(s)
    1. Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Agreed. We just went on a cruise on to the Bahamas this summer. On the cruise, if you are with a partner [or not], pay for 1 Wi-Fi access account, and share [1 at a time] amongst your devices. Get small battery packs [6200Mah or smaller]. 22,000+Mah battery pack is good for all day outings. Buy a high-speed USB Fast Charging Station. Are you going to the USVI or BVI? USVI has ATT & Sprint. BVI has CCT Global Communications (www.cctwireless.com) and Digicell BVI (www.digicelbvi.com), both with offices in Road Town and on Virgin Gorda. You'll need to decide how important it is to be connected. You could buy a local sim, but definitely get a VPN before going abroad. I use a paid one [PIA], but Opera Free VPN is also great for most surfing activities; except banking. Use Google Voice and "GVoice Callback" to call back to the states when needed. I used the Signal app to talk to co-workers and others when I needed to talk or send files about sensitive topics. We used Serval Mesh on the cruise to stay connected.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    going to the Caribbean (Antigua and US Virgin Islands) in Nov.
    the data plans on the ship are way too expensive.

i'm currently using FreedomPop's free cdma (Sprint) service as my main phone.
    and Freedompop's free 3in1 Global LTE sim as my backup.
    to my knowledge, neither works in the Caribbean.

Recommendations on what to get?
    thx!
    I took both my Freedompop Sprint phone and my Global SIM (it's not LTE and not the same as the LTE SIM). Both of those worked on St. Croix and should also work on other USVI.

However, the FP Global SIM worked with AT&T at the time and now it only connects to T-Mobile. I don't know if it would connect to AT&T if there was no T-Mobile coverage, but probably not.

AT&T had much better coverage on St. Croix than Sprint.

One option, since you're already familiar with Freedompop, is to get an LTE SIM for a penny and use the trial with 2 GB and then either cancel it or pay $5 to both downgrade to the free plan and turn off auto top-ups.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    One option, since you're already familiar with Freedompop, is to get an LTE SIM for a penny and use the trial with 2 GB and then either cancel it or pay $5 to both downgrade to the free plan and turn off auto top-ups.
    ahh.. this is the AT&T sim?
    but isnt it US only??

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    but isnt it US only??
    It might work in the USVI. I'm not 100% sure, but https://forums.att.com/t5/Network-Co...s/td-p/5162641 make sit seem like USVI coverage is considered domestic...

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    but isnt it US only??
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    It might work in the USVI. I'm not 100% sure, but https://forums.att.com/t5/Network-Co...s/td-p/5162641 make sit seem like USVI coverage is considered domestic...
    Yes, AT&T works in USVI and Puerto Rico. I definitely had Sprint and AT&T coverage on St. Croix.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    For the next few months, both AT&T and T-Mobile may provide service at sea in the neighborhood of Puerto Rico and USVI. They have both partnered with Project Loon to attempt to provide some broad-area service restoration via high-altitude balloons. The requirement is a phone that has LTE band-8. You would also need to be out on deck with a clear view of the sky and lock out the ship's network. I'm not sure if they are using their own MNCs or some special MNC for this project.

Otherwise, I keep a Piranha Mobile SIM active for international use. But you can also use WiFi and VoIP as needed to keep in touch.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Otherwise, I keep a Piranha Mobile SIM active for international use. But you can also use WiFi and VoIP as needed to keep in touch.
    I am in or traveling to: Antigua and Barbuda
    Calling to: United States

Recommended Operator: Digicel
    Data (1MB): £0.10
    Incomming (1 min): £0.20
    Outgoing (1 min): £0.30
    SMS (1 text): £0.20

$100 per gig?!?!