Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Do LTE bands have any effect on voice bands ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,558
    Feedback Score
    0

    Do LTE bands have any effect on voice bands ?

    Taking VoLTE out of the equation, does lacking an LTE band (at&t band 5 LTE in my case) effect voice coverage at all?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    522
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    No, without VoLTE you are only using LTE bands for data.

    You would want to focus on the bands for 3G for voice. So for AT&T in most places you'll want Band 5 (850 Cellular) and Band 2 (1900 PCS) for voice and 3G data.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    449
    Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    No, without VoLTE you are only using LTE bands for data.

    You would want to focus on the bands for 3G for voice. So for AT&T in most places you'll want Band 5 (850 Cellular) and Band 2 (1900 PCS) for voice and 3G data.
    Just for reference, when not used for LTE, those band numbers are not used. You'd refer to 850 spectrum as CLR or just 850. 1900 is usually just called PCS. The band numbers only enter the discussion when the band has been refarmed to LTE. Once in a while I see a manufacturer spec sheet use the numbers, but mostly for 2G and 3G they just use the frequencies.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,558
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks for the responses, I just realized my Blu r1hd does not have band 5 LTE for at&t. My backup phone does have band 5 LTE and I put my sim card in it and it stayed on band 5 LTE a lot of the day, never realizing my Blu phone used mostly bands 17 and 2 in the same locations, If it doesn't hurt voice coverage I really don't care right now. I will be traveling for a couple weeks mostly on the east coast so I guess I'll be fine.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,781
    Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    Just for reference, when not used for LTE, those band numbers are not used. You'd refer to 850 spectrum as CLR or just 850. 1900 is usually just called PCS. The band numbers only enter the discussion when the band has been refarmed to LTE. Once in a while I see a manufacturer spec sheet use the numbers, but mostly for 2G and 3G they just use the frequencies.
    They're referred to as Band V for 850 and II for 1900 MHz.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,558
    Feedback Score
    0

    I guess I only paid attention to LTE bands, so my phone doesn't have band 5 850 cellular? (Sorry I'm probably looking right at it!)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    449
    Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post

    I guess I only paid attention to LTE bands, so my phone doesn't have band 5 850 cellular? (Sorry I'm probably looking right at it!)
    Ah but you do! 850 for GSM and 850 for 3G. You're good to go.

    Sent from my SM-G935U using HoFo mobile app

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    449
    Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    They're referred to as Band V for 850 and II for 1900 MHz.
    Right you are. Thank you, sir.

    Sent from my SM-G935U using HoFo mobile app

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,558
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    Ah but you do! 850 for GSM and 850 for 3G. You're good to go.

    Sent from my SM-G935U using HoFo mobile app
    Awesome!!! Learned something new. Thank you

Similar Threads

  1. will changing number have any effect on account?
    By kane2080 in forum Koodo Mobile
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-15-2017, 12:38 AM
  2. I wonder if this will have any effect on anything?
    By PaisleyPirate in forum Tracfone/Net10
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2014, 12:38 PM
  3. Do Older iPhones Have ANY Functionality on WIND?
    By alienboy711 in forum Freedom Mobile (previously Wind Mobile)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-05-2013, 04:47 AM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-27-2007, 08:07 PM
  5. Does the i95cl's color palette choice have any effect on battery life?
    By lgreenberg in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-19-2002, 09:07 AM

Bookmarks