Thread: Any difference between buying a prepaid iPhone on Verizon site vs regular iPhone?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Any difference between buying a prepaid iPhone on Verizon site vs regular iPhone?

I'm looking to buy an iPhone 7 and see there's a prepaid option and regular iPhone. I was wondering if the prepaid version has any restrictions or anything or if it's the same exact thing since it's the same price.
    iPhone 6 on T-Mobile Wideband 15+15 MHz band 4 LTE

Feedback Score
    The phone doesn't fall under Verizon's prepaid sim lock policy, as it's not a subsidized "box" phone. So it will be sim unlocked. The one thing I cannot comment on or say for sure is if it is eligible to be put on Verizon postpaid right away. I would guess yes because again there is no subsidy on the device. You are paying full cost. But, I don't have a Verizon account so can't comment for sure if you can. I have bought other non subsidized Verizon prepaid devices before (Moto z play most recently) and can 100 percent confirm that non subsidized Verizon prepaid devices are sim unlocked, but never had a Verizon account to test if it can be placed on postpaid asap.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewhl View Post
    I'm looking to buy an iPhone 7 and see there's a prepaid option and regular iPhone. I was wondering if the prepaid version has any restrictions or anything or if it's the same exact thing since it's the same price.
    When Best Buy sold Verizon prepaid iPhone SE, initially they were unlocked, but then later they became locked to prepaid. Then any that were bought after that date, those were locked to prepaid out of the box. Those iPhone SEs were discounted so that may have been why this happened.

If the iPhone 7 is the same price both prepaid and postpaid, then the prepaid device shouldn't be locked to prepaid since it is not discounted. However, I wouldn't take the chance since in the past previously unlocked iPhone SEs have become locked to prepaid later. Just buy the SIM free iPhone 7 from Apple directly. It's the same price as through Verizon (actually $1 less).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    When Best Buy sold Verizon prepaid iPhone SE, initially they were unlocked, but then later they became locked to prepaid. Then any that were bought after that date, those were locked to prepaid out of the box. Those iPhone SEs were discounted so that may have been why this happened.

If the iPhone 7 is the same price both prepaid and postpaid, then the prepaid device shouldn't be locked to prepaid since it is not discounted. However, I wouldn't take the chance since in the past previously unlocked iPhone SEs have become locked to prepaid later. Just buy the SIM free iPhone 7 from Apple directly. It's the same price as through Verizon (actually $1 less).
    The se is now considered a "box" prepaid device as it's sold at a subsidy cost of 199. So it now falls under their prepaid box phone unlocking policy. Devices that don't have a subsidy don't fall under their prepaid rules, devices that do have a subsidy do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ksych1 View Post
    The se is now considered a "box" prepaid device as it's sold at a subsidy cost of 199. So it now falls under their prepaid box phone unlocking policy. Devices that don't have a subsidy don't fall under their prepaid rules, devices that do have a subsidy do.
    Thanks, that makes sense. I would buy the SIM free iPhone 7 directly from Apple for $1 less than through Verizon. It has a higher resale value too. Unless you are getting a discount by buying from Verizon, I would just go through Apple, their customer service is 1000 times better than Verizon's.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    Thanks, that makes sense. I would buy the SIM free iPhone 7 directly from Apple for $1 less than through Verizon. It has a higher resale value too. Unless you are getting a discount by buying from Verizon, I would just go through Apple, their customer service is 1000 times better than Verizon's.
    I agree. No real reason to buy it from Verizon if you are going to pay full cost up front.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ksych1 View Post
    I agree. No real reason to buy it from Verizon if you are going to pay full cost up front.
    And if you buy the SIM free model, you can always take it to an Apple store to get a free SIM card for it unless you aren't near an Apple store.