Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Degradation of service

Device(s)
    Iphone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Degradation of service

At&t used to have excellent service and coverage in Massachusetts. For the past 6 months it feels like the network has severely degraded all around from coverage to bandwidth. I drop calls more often, get kicked down to unusable 4g service. Reception is down every where I go. This goes with all 5 lines that I have. I've swapped my sim cards, wiped my phones, gone through every technical support issue, and absolutely no results. Anyone else notice this?

Sent from my SM-N950U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Yes they have degraded in nc as well use to have more bars and faster connections at work use to be full bars no it’s down to one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    Keep in mind, just because "bars of service" appear lower, it doesn't always mean that coverage has degraded. Different bands can mean different signal strengths and/or signal quality. You can be less than 500ft from a tower and have 1 bar of signal due to signal quality, or be 4-5 miles from a tower and have 5 bars of signal.

That being said, there are areas where congestion is a real problem, and that paired with a perceived low signal can indicate a signal problem, but could be a backhaul problem.

Here in Palm City, FL, I've noticed spots where I've got 4-5 bars of service, but nothing will load, and it's mainly congestion, whereas at my home, I've got about 1-2 bars of signal and speeds that can rival the Xfinity internet service I subscribe to.

I myself haven't seen UMTS/HSPA+ in months, and that's with sparse tower placement here in FL.

All I can tell you is find a carrier that works best for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by WishIWasHer View Post
    CSD was rarely used, and was before they started referring to cell phone technology in G's. This G stuff really started with 3G coverage and its because the 2nd iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. That's where cell phone tech got the G's from. The G stands for Gigs and the number is the number of Gigs the signal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Oh boy....
    Quote Originally Posted by AttData View Post
    My thoughts exactly...

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Degradation of service

AT&T is having a rough time handling unlimited. It seems almost as if they had spent only a fraction of that 10 billion they really spent on wireless over the last year by the shape the network is in. Not sure why that is, but I suspect it all went into a carrier add here, a carrier add there, then a few months later a carrier add back at point A then come back to point B...seems like a waste of money to keep going back to sites over again to add carriers when they could've done most (if not all) of it at once. With 10 bil they could've densified like crazy and skipped many carrier adds then come back later to upgrade older sites, a new cell or small cell is more capacity than a carrier add.

My area is a tragic example of their ways, at this point I'd probably take Sprint over AT&T. Up in the city where they've always done great they're not doing so well either, a lot of aging oDAS nodes and small cells that haven't been upgraded in years. Been seeing complaints from places I've never seen them, too.

And just to keep things in perspective, T-Mobile has spent 6 billion over the last year, they have lots of new coverage, lots of new carrier adds, small cells and some densification (they're already dense so they didn't need much). Verizon spent 10.5 bil and they have been going insane with new macros and small cells plus widespread carrier adds (B2/5).

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    AT&T is having a rough time handling unlimited. It seems almost as if they had spent only a fraction of that 10 billion they really spent on wireless over the last year by the shape the network is in. Not sure why that is, but I suspect it all went into a carrier add here, a carrier add there, then a few months later a carrier add back at point A then come back to point B...seems like a waste of money to keep going back to sites over again to add carriers when they could've done most (if not all) of it at once. With 10 bil they could've densified like crazy and skipped many carrier adds then come back later to upgrade older sites, a new cell or small cell is more capacity than a carrier add.

My area is a tragic example of their ways, at this point I'd probably take Sprint over AT&T. Up in the city where they've always done great they're not doing so well either, a lot of aging oDAS nodes and small cells that haven't been upgraded in years. Been seeing complaints from places I've never seen them, too.

And just to keep things in perspective, T-Mobile has spent 6 billion over the last year, they have lots of new coverage, lots of new carrier adds, small cells and some densification (they're already dense so they didn't need much). Verizon spent 10.5 bil and they have been going insane with new macros and small cells plus widespread carrier adds (B2/5).
    I'm finding similar in a lot of spots. Both Verizon and T-Mobile have gotten better for me while at&t kept on getting worse and stayed that way

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

I think the upgrade to virtual and software based networking is sucking down allot of the funding.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eprius View Post
    At&t used to have excellent service and coverage in Massachusetts. For the past 6 months it feels like the network has severely degraded all around from coverage to bandwidth. I drop calls more often, get kicked down to unusable 4g service. Reception is down every where I go. This goes with all 5 lines that I have. I've swapped my sim cards, wiped my phones, gone through every technical support issue, and absolutely no results. Anyone else notice this?

Sent from my SM-N950U using HoFo mobile app
    They replaced all RRU in Mass.. i think the new RRU Ericsson is the problem.. I dropped to many calls on at&t LTE... the power of signal is really Low.. I switched verizon, my iphone 7 plus hold the LTE like 90 % in all MA... good luck with guys at&t they are so Spencer .. verizon has better coverage than at&t in mass . Im Uber driver i have no issues dropping calls..

Device(s)
    Le Pro3 / Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Observed AT&T service to be worse in both AZ and MI during extended stays.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s plus, Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint :(, Verizon 2009-2015, US Cellular 2006-2008
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    I think the upgrade to virtual and software based networking is sucking down allot of the funding.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app
    Nah. It's the incredibly idiotical thinking of buying up every service provider

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tekjunkie28 View Post
    Nah. It's the incredibly idiotical thinking of buying up every service provider

That absolutely does not explain where 10 billion in wireless capex went in a year.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s plus, Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint :(, Verizon 2009-2015, US Cellular 2006-2008
    Feedback Score
    That absolutely does not explain where 10 billion in wireless capex went in a year.
    Well i would love to know where it went... Bc I've never seen it. My serice on one tower has been shotty for the last 3 weeks. And it's only when I'm at home. Neve done it before or when I'm elsewhere

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by actinic View Post
    Observed AT&T service to be worse in both AZ and MI during extended stays.
    It may depend on your location. I live in SE Michigan and travel to the northeast part often and service has been stellar this last 6 months everywhere pretty much. I have no problems on my S8+.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus Qualcomm, Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Same degradation of service on AT&T in Rhode Island. Switched to Verizon and have ZERO issues. It’s so weird. I used to love AT&T in RI.
    PimeTechnology
    youtube.com/pimetechnology

Device(s)
    IPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    ATT in East Tennessee is getting worse as well. After reading all these complaints, I see I am not alone. It seems as if ATT just doesn't care about wireless anymore. Time to port to VZW I'm thinking.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Degradation of service

Quote Originally Posted by tekjunkie28 View Post
    Well i would love to know where it went... Bc I've never seen it. My serice on one tower has been shotty for the last 3 weeks. And it's only when I'm at home. Neve done it before or when I'm elsewhere

I think everyone wants to know, Verizon spent 10.5 bil over the same period and have something to show for it. Like Joeybutts said it may have largely gone into SDN, and I know a lot of it has gone into nothing but carrier adds on existing sites instead of densifying which I think would help more at this point in time than just throwing up more high band on existing sites that's not doing any good for all the people beyond a mile from those sites.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast