Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: AT&T Markets Without Low-Band

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score

AT&T Markets Without Low-Band

Are there any markets where AT&T does not have low-band spectrum? I believe they bought 700 in most (all?) markets where they don't have CLR. Any where they didn't? B29 doesn't count, since without B5/12/17, they would have to uplink on B2 with CA, which would basically defeat the whole purpose of low-band.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus QCOM, SM-G950U1
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I can note some rural locations, but not cities.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    They have at least 5x5 B14 nationwide.

But really, I haven’t heard of any.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    They have at least 5x5 B14 nationwide.
    I'm not counting B14 YET, since it's not deployed, and no phones support it (that I'm aware of). What I'm asking is about anywhere that they haven't been able to put humpty-dumpty back together between B17 and B5?

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Does Nebraska count?
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Does Nebraska count?
    For clarification, he’s meaning markets that are running solely on Band 2, 4, or 30. Not areas without service, like Nebraska.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Lowest we have in Eastern Kentucky is 850 (B5). I’m not holding my breath they will deploy B14 here.
    Current Device: Black iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier: AT&T

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    For clarification, he’s meaning markets that are running solely on Band 2, 4, or 30. Not areas without service, like Nebraska.
    OK, but I thought. Well, never mind.

Device(s)
    LG G5, G3, G Pad X 10.1
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    OK, but I thought. Well, never mind.
    Lincoln, Nebraska is a city of almost 300,000 that only has bands 2, 4 and 30 on AT&T. (Omaha has band 12/17 but this is limited to 2 counties in Nebraska and one in Iowa. Also Dakota County, NE - Sioux City area - has band 12/17.)

Everywhere else in Nebraska covered by AT&T, so places like Fremont, Plattsmouth, Wayne, Ainsworth, Grand Island, only has high-band. In fact all of those areas except Fremont only have Band 4. One tower in Fremont just got Band 2 LTE last month.
    AT&T customer since 2007; Alltel 2004-07. Android user since 2014 and will never go back to Apple.
    I recommend and use CellMapper and Sensorly for testing and mapping signal coverage and have contributed extensively to both projects in the greater St. Louis region and surrounding states.

Device(s)
    LG G5, G3, G Pad X 10.1
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    AT&T also has no low-band in Bangor, Maine. Not sure if that counts due to how small it is, even compared to Lincoln, but for what it's worth.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by justinkk2005 View Post
    Lowest we have in Eastern Kentucky is 850 (B5). I’m not holding my breath they will deploy B14 here.
    That's fine. It's low band.

Quote Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post
    Lincoln, Nebraska is a city of almost 300,000 that only has bands 2, 4 and 30 on AT&T. (Omaha has band 12/17 but this is limited to 2 counties in Nebraska and one in Iowa. Also Dakota County, NE - Sioux City area - has band 12/17.)

Everywhere else in Nebraska covered by AT&T, so places like Fremont, Plattsmouth, Wayne, Ainsworth, Grand Island, only has high-band. In fact all of those areas except Fremont only have Band 4. One tower in Fremont just got Band 2 LTE last month.
    Interesting. In those other places do they have in-market roaming on Viaero, or is it just AT&T high-band? In-market roaming with US Cellular in Lincoln?

Quote Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post
    AT&T also has no low-band in Bangor, Maine. Not sure if that counts due to how small it is, even compared to Lincoln, but for what it's worth.
    Interesting.

Device(s)
    LG G5, G3, G Pad X 10.1
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    Interesting. In those other places do they have in-market roaming on Viaero, or is it just AT&T high-band? In-market roaming with US Cellular in Lincoln?
    There is no USCC roaming in Nebraska (yet). Maybe it'll be added when USCC adds VoLTE in Nebraska. It is present now in Iowa. But high-band is all you get if you are an AT&T subscriber in Nebraska outside the Omaha and Sioux City areas (or the Panhandle). Same goes for T-Mobile with the exception of a few low-band sites near the South Dakota border.

Generally speaking, you don't connect to Viaero if you can get an AT&T signal (including the Commnet-operated 3G network that identifies as AT&T) unless you turned your phone on in a Viaero-only area and drive into an AT&T overlap area -- in that case the phone will usually hold onto Viaero until it loses the signal and then go back to AT&T. There are places where you can get LTE from both carriers and in that case you generally just use the carrier the phone latched on to when it started up, which will PROBABLY be AT&T unless you're right under a Viaero tower.

Having done testing in places like Columbus where it's either Viaero LTE or AT&T/Commnet 3G, if you drive out from Omaha to Columbus you will be on AT&T or "quasi-AT&T" the whole time even though native AT&T band 4 LTE ends not far west of Fremont. If you reboot your phone in Columbus, 3 in 4 times it'll get the AT&T/Commnet 3G. 1 in 4 times you will see Viaero. Now if you go to Norfolk, you are going to be on Viaero, and depending on where you go from Norfolk, it is entirely possible to remain on Viaero the entire way back as long as you don't leave their service area. If you start in Norfolk, drive down to Columbus, east to Fremont, then southeast to Omaha, you will actually keep a Viaero signal until you lose the last bit of it around Waterloo even though by that point it's well into AT&T Band 12 coverage.

Grand Island is the odd one in this. Viaero has GI *blanketed*. AT&T has two towers and only one with LTE. GI is one place where even on an AT&T branded phone, there is no guarantee you'll see the AT&T towers at all. Even if you've come west from Lincoln where there's AT&T LTE coverage along I-80 until about mile 314. In my experience native AT&T service in GI as well as quasi-AT&T Commnet service in Doniphan and Wood River only shows up about 25% of the time even on AT&T branded phones.

Keep in mind the Viaero coverage in eastern and central Nebraska is high-band too. Viaero doesn't start to have low-band until out in the central part of the state.

Also, you have to be using apps that show the technical aspects of the signal in order to notice any of this. To the ordinary user it looks like native AT&T LTE or "4G" throughout. So the actual experience even in rural Nebraska is a lot less bleak than the coverage maps indicate.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    ......Interesting. In those other places do they have in-market roaming on Viaero, or is it just AT&T high-band? ......
    AT&T has UMTS service across Nebraska, particularly along I-80, but they do roam Viaero in many areas.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't think there's any notable markets with no low band at all. They all either have 850 or 700. Now there are rural area's with no low band. I saw alot of B4 only LTE in Kansas. in IN they hold at least 700 or 850 across the state but some places only had LTE deployed on B4 at one point from what I've heard.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    I don't think there's any notable markets with no low band at all. They all either have 850 or 700. Now there are rural area's with no low band. I saw alot of B4 only LTE in Kansas. in IN they hold at least 700 or 850 across the state but some places only had LTE deployed on B4 at one point from what I've heard.
    You are correct. Some stretches of highway are Band 2 or Band 4 only in Kansas. Same goes for west of Oklahoma City on I-40 as well.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast